Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR
Re: TygerCub's Project

got my fingers crossed for you and Bob!

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #152
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Bad news all around... looks like BOB needs a fuel pump. Tommy is going to look for one through his sources, but he says even a rebuilt one isn't cheap.

Oh well. Guess I won't be spending that money at the truck shop right now. Or, to put a more "positive spin" on the whole thing... at least I won't be spending all that money at the shop right NOW.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #153
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 liter Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 66

Sorry to hear about your fuel pump. But like Smitty said, it's one less worry once you are on the road with BOB. I hope you are able to find one at a reasonable price. *fingers crossed*

Blog: http://resurrection-fern.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ResurrectionFernBus
Gallery: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Sko...rrection-fern/
fernmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #154
Bus Nut

Got a call this afternoon at work from Tommy. He found one for a little under $500 from one of his local sales reps. Does that sound like a reasonable cost to you guys? I told him to go ahead and buy it, but that's the same amount I was hoping to spend to get the drive-train PM done. Guess that will have to wait a little longer.

Like Smitty said... at least I'll know that won't go bad anytime soon.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #155
Bus Nut

Erm... the fuel injector pump maybe? I donno really, and realize that's a major thing to know if I'm asking y'all about cost (Can we say "DOH! moment"... I knew ya could ). Unless I write it down immediately, my brain does awful things with technical terms (thus my technical terms tend more towards words like "ick" and "that thingie"). Right this minute, since I'm still trying to learn what stuff does, it all kinda runs together in my 'widdle head.

Tommy crawled all over the engine, checking different fuel ports, the filters, etc. He checked electrical current to the fuel solenoid first, then when that didn't work, jumped some wires with his clips and got it working. Didn't seem concerned with the electrical short. Said it wasn't a big deal. Which I take to mean it's an easy fix for him.

Then he pulled open a fuel line and told me to start the bus - then motioned me to cut it off when we got fuel. So then he methodically went along the fuel line, cracking different spots and had me crank it each time until he found a spot that wasn't getting any fuel. That's when he made very unhappy noises and said it was the fuel pump. I didn't know there were different types. I don't remember exactly which pump he said it would be, but he did say it was the second most expensive part of the bus next to the engine itself. I think I'm starting to take these "bad news" episodes pretty well.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #156
Mini-Skoolie

Hey, I'm new here but one thing I know is fuel injection pumps. I worked at a fuel injection shop for about 10 yrs. Around $500 is a round about price for a 7.3 pump. But you may would like to check these guys out-www.pensacoladiesel.com They are good guys and have very reasonable prices. When I was self employed in the diesel repair industry I used them alot. They are also on ebay. Just thought I'd lend my two sents. Jerry
jump66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #157
Bus Nut

Well, it's been several weeks and I'm still no closer to getting BOB to move. The pump came in, but Tommy's been busy, so it's still sitting on the shelf. However, since my Grandmother is visiting for a month, no work isn't a bad thing. Keeps me focused on her and not the bus .

Took her and Dad out to see BOB and ... well ... to say they were disappointed in my purchase decision is an understatement. I'm guessing if BOB were running, it may have been a different story, but since he's not, I guess they see it as a waste of money. Oh well. Not everyone can see beyond the immediate reality into a better future.

So...

After some reading, I suspect the reason the "fuel injector pump" died is because it's an older bus that can't handle the "cleaner" diesel fuel. I guess I'm supposed to add some lubricating liquid to the gas tank at each fill up. Can anyone suggest a decent additive that will help keep the pump from dying again? Hopefully, something that can be purchased by the caseload so I can keep it in the bus as a reminder of what to add at the fuel station?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #158
Bus Nut

Yeah, Not everyone can see the gem trapped in the stone...

When you figure out what additive to add to the fuel, Put a sticker in the gas door to remind you to use it. Keeping the case by the front door, or at least one bottle will help too. Multiple reminders always seem to work better than just one... Thats why most newer alarm clocks will go off about three times...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #159
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison

Oh TC, sounds like you have had just a rotten few weeks with BOB. Good luck with gettin' him all fixed up and running. Mark and I have had similar problems with Boo Boo..but at least we got her home. Check out our post about the 2 day 'adventure' driving what should've really only taken us about 5-6 hrs tops. Boo Boo had some REAL surprises for us on meeting day 1! Good Bussin' vibes to you!
hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #160
Mini-Skoolie

Stanadyne fuel additive is about the best one I have used. They are the fuel injection system manufoctorer. Great stuff used it for the last 10 yrs. I don't think you would need it at every fill up though.
jump66 is offline   Reply With Quote