Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77
Re: TygerCub's Project

You are doing so good!
Your videos are great, I can build, paint what have you, photography is not something I do... I like your production logo- mine should be, "seat of the pants or winging as I go."

Good luck with the house, we're about to have a big yardsale see if we ca get "bus money" to finish- so close.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Latest video is up at
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #63
Skoolie

That is good idea have to go back and seal some windows myself- wished I'd have done a hose test or smething.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Good video! Making progress & looks like you still have all of your fingers intact!

You know what they say... you MUST give blood to the bus gods to bless your conversion correctly!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Have a few essentials for the bus...

My mother is a world champion thrift store shopper. She found this handicap toilet at one of the local stores for $15! It appears to be brand new. The bucket is still wrapped in plastic and has the original instruction booklet. I'll use a 5 gallon bucket under it for Grandma to use while she's staying with me in August. Afterwards, I'll remove the metal bits and build a nice box around the seat for use on the bus. If placed sideways (back to the wall) it won't take any more space than the wheel wells. Great fit!

The refrigerator is a Danby 4.3 cubic foot model that does NOT have a freezer. It's one of the few college sized fridges that was Energy Star rated, and the ONLY one I could find that didn't have one of those useless little ice trays. No need to defrost - YaY!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Quick video of Day 6 demolition is available on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/TygerCub.

Nothing super extravagant today since I had so little time. But I did manage to get rid of a lot of the decals that were on the windows. I'll have to go back with some "Goo-B-Gone" to get rid of the sticky residue, but otherwise, the vinyl came off very easily.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Score on another piece of the bus puzzle!

God bless my Mother! She pulled through yet again and asked one of her fire department buddies if he knew anyone who had a spare garage door lock. Yep!

I have no idea if this will work or not, but it's definitely worth a try! I figure by installing this vertically instead of horizontally, I should be able to keep the door from folding inward, thus effectively locking the bus! Since the only key I'll need will be on the deadbolt, there shouldn't be a problem with having to find two different keys to lock up when I leave. If I really want to be super secure, I guess I could add a locking handle too, but with my penchant for keeping as few keys as possible, it's best just to keep things simple.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #68
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

A couple of posts back you were mentioning the wheelwells. In mine on the passenger side, there is closets built over the top of it and a hidden trap door in the bottom of the closet to utilize the dead space made from building a square box over a rounded structure. On the drivers side, is where the bathroom is. The mini tub goes up over the front of the wheelwell and the sink and vanity is on top of a pedestal that takes an L shaped turn out towards the center of the bus for the toilet to sit on.
I wasnt the one who built my bus, But I remember my dad talking about figuring out this and that on some of the details when he was building it.

I'm wondering what type of bike you have? I have two single beds in back with space in between. I would say a Sportster or maybe a Softail would fit although the Softail might be tight fitting. I dont see room enough for an Electra Glide back there though. I've often wondered if a bike would fit through that back door. There goes the Ape Hangers!!! And how long of a ramp would it take to get one in there without a killer steep grade to go up?
How about keeping your rear loading garage and then when the bike is unloaded you have a good space back there for sleeping. I'm just thinking about all that wasted space back there when the bike isnt loaded up. Ummmmmm.... Drop down beds that fold up against the wall?

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #69
Bus Nut

Coolr,
Thanks for the idea about placing the bathroom. With the handicapped toilet seat I picked up, I am hoping it will fit over the wheel well. If not, I'll move it elsewhere and think of something else.

Here's the bike I hoped to carry in the back at one time...

It's a 2006 Kawasaki 1600 Nomad - great touring bike! Unfortunately, between the large saddle bags and the aftermarket front faring, this puppy won't fit through the standard back door.

My first idea was to make the entire rear section of the bus into a fold-down ramp to get on and off, but that's an expense I'm not ready to take on yet.

My second idea was to add one of those material lifts that the cargo trucks use (like those on the back of an office-supply vehicle). I thought I could drive the bike onto the ramp, park it, then lift the ramp up to the normal floor level for travel. The benefit of this shorter ramp would be the ease of pulling in and out perpendicular to the bus instead of needing extra room to fold out a really long ramp. It would still leave the bike exposed to the elements, but the convenience would make it worth it.

My third idea is to just tow a "garage" trailer behind the bus. Not too crazy about that idea either, but at this point it's the best way to get all my stuff out west. In the mean time, I hope to pick up a Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter for commuting around the city. That will be easy to drive up the rear ramp the bus already has.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #70
Skoolie

Yep I kind of had a feeling you were talking about a bigger bike.
I just realized there is like 6 more pages of posts I need to read to get caught up!! I only had read the first page of the posts and thought that was it. LOL It was late and I was tired.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Posted video for Day 7 progress on BOB.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TygerCub

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours pulling the rubber mat off the driver's side. Sure enough, it's just rubber mat over metal. No plywood on my bus.

I'll try to get today's video edited and posted later this week. Today, I spent half the day doing the rest of the matting. Took quite a bit longer because I had to take so many breaks. It was just too stinkin' hot today! I had both A/C units cranked full-throttle, but the best they could manage was 85 degrees.

If ever there was an argument to put in extra insulation, it was made for me today!!!! That fiberglass may be in good shape, but it's sadly inadequate for the task of keeping the inside more than 10 degrees different from the outside.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:30 AM   #72
Bus Nut

Mightybus, don't know if you'd want to go with no insulation on the floor unless you camp only in spring or fall. The heat was coming up from the floor just as much as through the walls and ceiling. And since it's just metal, it was doing a great job of retaining and radiating it up into the compartment. If you really want to go minimalistic, I'd say use a high-end carpet padding under your flooring at the very least. <shrug> Up to you.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #73
Skoolie

It might depend on the state where the bus comes from. Our bus came from IL insulation is really good- I was pleasantly surprised on how good the roof was done. I put in r5 foam on the floor, seems pretty descent.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #74
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

It was just too stinkin' hot today! I had both A/C units cranked full-throttle, but the best they could manage was 85 degrees.

What kind/size a/c units were you using? Are you parting out that rv unit parked next to the bus...for the bus?

S
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #75
Bus Nut

I'm not sure what size the A/C units are. I'll look next time I'm out there... probably not until this Saturday or Sunday.

I wish the RV was mine to part. Na, I'm just parked in an RV/boat storage lot that's about 5 miles from the house. That RV does look kinda rough, doesn't it? But that is just a mid-grade RV in a parking lot full of vehicles that range from rolling death trap to OMG swank!

Actually, there's a decent looking RE flat nose about four spots down from me. The lot owner said that another fella started to convert, then bought another pre-converted bus instead. If the interior of the bus wasn't so completely gutted (= down to the framing with no doors/floor/wiring/nothin) I'd be tempted to make him an offer for it.

But BOB's working out just fine, and I'm happy to have him.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #76
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Coming from a person who remodels his own houses to save a buck....it is easier to start from the slab.

Coming from a person who bought a '69 convertible mustang that someone else started to restore...you will probably replace what they already did or redo it to your own liking.

You didn't buy a cheap motorhome...you could have for the money/time you will spend on converting a bus...because you were satisfied with someone elses idea of what a motorhome should be.

The blank pallet is by for the best way to go and Bob will be exactly what you think a Bob should be.

S

ps are they rv ac's or window units?
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 AM   #77
Skoolie

I just watched the demolition day 8 video and the rubber mat. LOL I remember my dad talking about that when he was working on his/mine now bus. Sometimes when he gets rolling on something he would forget a detail here or there. If you walk barefoot in my bus, you can feel the rail on either side of the rubber that runs down the center walkway under the carpet and padding that he forgot to remove when he put in the carpet.

IYAAYAS
Old 07-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #78
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison

You have awesome ideas...and plans! Giving me great ideas for when we get ours. 2wks..and counting down to the big drive!
Heidi
ps~posted an Intro post earlier.. been sneaking around here learning for weeks! Just like you, Mark (hubby) and I are contemplating the never ending ideas of bus conversion!
hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Welcome hmcastle55! Hope you guys have a blast getting your bus just the way you want it!

Swhite832, the A/C units are home window models that came with the bus when I bought him.

Also... notice the nifty pull-out ramp under the emergency exit door. Sweet!

Coolr, I'm really glad I pried up the railing. It was SO tempting to just leave everything down! Especially with the heat & humidity as bad as it's been lately. But once the floor was completely up, it looked so much better! It was just a huge relief to not have to wonder if I shoulda done it. But boy howdy was it a pain in the @$$! I can understand if your dad decided it was more of a pain than it was worth.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #80
Bus Nut

Ya know... I've just realized that I've been sorely remiss in posting any photos lately.

Sorry guys! I'll try to remember to snap images between making the videos. It's one thing to write about progress, but it's another thing altogether to actually SEE what was done.

BTW... working on Day 9 of Demolition. Should be posted before bedtime tonight.