Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #161
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: TygerCub's Project

Thanks for the encouragement, guyz!

Saturday, Tommy got over to BOB, pulled out the old fuel injector pump (so I now know where THAT sits on the engine YaY! ), checked where things are supposed to line up in the old pump, set the new pump to match so everything would be timed right, and started to install the new pump. He got most of the fuel lines installed, but then both our Mothers called to ask if we were ready for lunch, so we took a break. By the time we were finished with that, he had to get ready for the evening's cart races (he's a safety official for the track).

Don't know when he's going to get a chance to finish installing the last line and put together the rest of the things that were removed so he could get to the pump. I know I can put the air filter back on, but some of the other stuff... I don't know . I'd feel safer if he's there to supervise.

Had some major drama last week that's been occupying my time anyway. Had to take Grandma to the hospital when her blood pressure spiked (highest it reached while in the hospital was 239/117 ). They were able to get it down before she had a stroke, but it was a very scary evening. Consequently, she's decided to go back home. Flies back Wednesday morning. It's a bittersweet thing, but I'd rather she be safe so I can visit another day.

<sigh>

This year's really suk'd . Thank all that's Holy it's almost over!

Things WILL get better! Damnit!

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #162
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

yep better to spend time with grandma than Bob,because all you have to do to fix BOB is open the hood and pour in the money Hoping you enjoy yer time with gramma tell her timbuk says hello!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #163
Bus Nut

Well, Grandma went home, and life moves on... at a snail's pace. Not wanting to wish my life away, but I'm antsy to get working on the bus again! What makes things doubly difficult is the storage lot where the bus is kept is now on their winter hours. This means I have roughly 1 hour after work during the week days, and only Saturday to work on BOB. Not very convenient at all!

The fuel pump is in, but still not completely hooked up. I figured I'd post a couple of photos to tide everyone over.
Here's view number one:

And image number two:

It looks so nice and shiney next to the rest of the engine.

I'm afraid that's all the bus related stuff I have for now. <sigh>
Old 10-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #164
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
So......is BOB up & running again?
No, dangit! I wanted to start it last weekend. Everything looked like it was re-installed under the hood. I was about to put the key in the ignition when some tiny part of my brain kicked the larger portion and said, "CALL YOUR COUSIN FIRST STUPID".

So I did. Tommy about had a heart attack and said he wasn't finished yet. There were still a few hard-to-reach fuel lines to tighten, a belt that wasn't back on yet (which I totally missed seeing), and he wasn't completely sure the timing was right yet.

Who knows what other damage I'd have done if I'd just hopped in and started it up.

In the mean time, I'm trying to spend my time wisely by making things to sell for some extra bus money. A friend of mine displays my stuff on her website. Occasionally, someone likes it enough to buy it, and I have a little bit of extra spending cash.
Here's the latest thing that's kept me busy:

Matter of fact, I need to make another couple of these to send out. At least it keeps me busy and I'm not spending any money!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #165
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus & Smitty
Er, what is it?
Sorry guys! I forget how esoteric my other hobbies can seem to those who aren't "in the know".

It's a picture of a half-finished, hand tooled & stitched leather belt pouch inspired by the archeological finds of viking artifacts in Birka Sweden. Most of my leatherwork is aimed at the medieval re-enactors, with viking stuff my personal favorite. Leatherworking can be an expensive hobby, but sometimes, it can pay for itself too.

Nothing quite as exciting as working on the bus . But it's an alternate income, and keeps my creative soul happy for a while.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #166
Bus Crazy

TC, I didn't see your entry in the "Everything Else" thread, "What's your Viking name?"
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4568
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #167
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
TC, I didn't see your entry in the "Everything Else" thread, "What's your Viking name?"
I forget to read that one. Thanks for the link. I'll post the results there. But my SCA AKA is Ari Stonehead.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #168
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Have you considered moving BOB to a different place with better access hours
Yep. Sadly, I'm even considering renting a spot from my ex. He's got a huge back yard. The neighbors could hardly complain. And he'd welcome the rent. Just don't know if I'm strong enough to face that yet. We'll see.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #169
Mini-Skoolie

you could run a ad on cragslist, looking for a spot to park and work on schoolbus, rv conversion. please email with your location and what you will charge.

Bet you will find someone like me that has more land than $ and would let you park at there place for a bit of rent....

I know, I would prefer to deal with a stranger than my ex havent been reading close enough but if your in OK mabey I could help.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #170
Bus Nut

Thanks, Thundarfoot, but being in VA makes OK a LONG commute!

Finally talked to Tommy. He actually did receive the core charge back (thank heavens), and will try to get BOB fixed this month. Unfortunately, it won't be until the end of the month since he's still got cart track duties on the weekend. Oh well.

Patience is a virtue, right?

Now if only I was virtuous!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #171
Bus Nut

Tommy came out and finished putting the bus back together. Tried to crank big ol' BOB, and... Nothing.

Dangit!

He said the fuel isn't coming through to all the lines. I think it was specifically the return lines? Anyway, they were on the passenger's side of the engine. He'll be getting new o-rings to fix the leaks on the driver's side of the engine and says that may help the situation on the passenger's side. We cranked it and the fuel is getting through the filter, but not much beyond that.

So... some progress! Just progress with more problems.

It's all good. As we say at work, "It is what it is".
Old 11-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #172
Bus Nut

BOB LIVES AGAIN!!!

Woo Hoo!

<does the Happy Snoopy Dance>

Tommy just called and the bus was running in the background. Next week I'll get it out to the truck shop to get it inspected, PM'd and find out what else may need to be tweeked!
YaY!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #173
Bus Nut

or this...
Old 11-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #174
Bus Crazy

Yeeeee - Haww!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #175
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Great news. Looking forward to more conversion updates.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #176
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Fantastic! Now you & BOB can bond again!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #177
Bus Nut

Okay, well... false alarm. Kinda. Yes, he was running, but something has come loose and it won't start with the key. Unfortunately, I don't remember how Tommy hot-wired it the one time I saw him pull that particular trick, so wasn't able to get the bus to the shop today. But I'm still optimistic! Tommy's promised to come show me what to do this week so I will know for next time (please don't let there be a next time ).

So... all is not lost. I just have to hurry up and be patient a little while longer.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #178
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Jeez Tyger! dont you watch tv? Just reach under the dash and yank out a random bunch of wires and then pull any 2 wires out of the bundle and touch them together, it will fire right up. Then you can drive away!!

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #179
Bus Nut

Well, Tommy and I worked on the bus again today. He reconnected the ignition thingie and showed me how to "hotwire" the bus. We had to jump the batteries again, so I'm thinking it's getting time to replace those. Next year. With my tax return money. We did get the bus running though, and took it out to the shop. Unfortunately, it was closed up. I was hoping to just park it in their lot and come back Monday after work to start on a work ticket, but the parking lot was slam full.

So fall back to Plan B. I'll just have to wait until Monday to make an appointment and hope when they finally have an opening I can get BOB running again. But at least we blew the crap out of the pipes today and got to take a little drive around a couple of blocks. It's funny how quickly one gets used to driving something that HUGE.

My Dad called while we were eating breakfast and was happy to hear BOB was running again. (Yeah, him and me both! ) He hopes to help out with the build. It will be the first thing we've ever worked on together, and I'm hoping he'll get a kick out of doing this as much as I do. I'm definitely looking forward to working with him.

Unfortunately, I forgot the camera, so no pictures this time, guys. If you want to see something different, go to my YouTube site (linked below) and see how much the creek I live on flooded Thursday. Fun stuff!!!

I will TRY to remember the camera Monday when I go visit BOB again.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #180
Skoolie

just got done watching all your video's and I have to say well done. its one thing looking at pictures of a build but its whole different story watching a video. Hopefully you can keep them coming, their very informative.
Thanks again
Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote