Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
TygerCub's Project

Yay... This week I'm finally looking at two buses! Both are from the local craigslist.

The first had very few details and no photos
"64 passenger Bluebird School Bus, 1989 GMC with Bluebird Body, Still in service, Good Tires."
Not much information to go on, but for only $1500, it's worth a look.

The second one had a lot more information.
This is a former school and military bus. It is in VERY good condition. The bus runs GREAT, fires right up with no problem. Fresh 4/10 inspection, this bus is ready for your church, youth group, or for summer trips. The drivers fan works great, but passengers will need to put the windows down! It has a straight 6 diesel engine with an Allison automatic transmission. 169k miles. Power steering and air brakes. All accessories work as they should. Some of the seats are a little raggedy, but it's still a good solid bus.

And some photos:
and
It's a 10 window bus, so based on what I've read in the forum to date, there should be at least 25' of length behind the driver to play with. I'm taking my cousin with me, who is a heavy machinery mechanic for the local cement contractor. Hopefully, he'll be able to spot any deficiencies.

I'm looking at the $1500 bus either Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on my cousin's schedule. Won't get a chance to get out to look at the $2700 bus until Friday. It's all rather exciting, isn't it!

Keep yer fingers crossed and wish me luck!

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: TygerCub's Project

Here's a floor plan I've been working on all afternoon...

There's a clear (i.e. bigger) version of this in my gallery.

One of the things I tried to do is keep an open feel, yet maximize wall space for storage. Have no clue about which windows to keep yet.
Of course, this design totally discounts adding storage for the motorcycle. I may end up pulling a trailer after all. Or, I may add another 4 foot of "porch" onto the back to drive onto. Who knows at this point? I'll change my mind five times between now and the time I'm ready to add walls.

But one of the things I'm adamant about keeping is the large bathroom. I'd get downright clausterphobic in a little 2' skinny shower. It may take up more space, but like a comfortable bed, some things are worth having when it comes to quality of life issues.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Bus Nut

True, long showers won't be possible... but I'm not one to dally in the bathroom. I just hate touching cold, wet walls (ungh!)

However, I took your advice to heart and changed it around a bit, condensed, stirred, and came up with the following:

The living room also doubles as a bedroom now. The twin bed will probably become a futon to maximize flexibility. The shower and toilet now take up a 3' x 4' space. I'm thinking of laying down tile on the floor so the entire space is a shower. I'll just cover the toilet before splashing around. The floor will be sloped towards one corner for better drainage. The kitchen sink is still a cheap industrial unit from Lowes, and the hot water for both shower and sink will come from the same portable camp shower. The stove top is now a stove/oven combo from Camp Chef that I found online today. Check out the link here: http://www.campchef.com/store/group/...er_stoves.html

As you can see, I have the garage now, so the bike's inside. How I'll actually get it inside is anyone's guess at this moment. But at least I'll have a dry spot if I can manage it. I can keep dreaming, eh?

As before, a larger version is in the galleries.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Looking good your plans, for the bathroom check out some old campers at the junkyard maybe one of them has one of those Shower-toilet all in one stalls to salvage. they are basicly a built in shower stall and toilet is integrated. You can sit on the throne and shower at the same time
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I saw that bowl too and thought it was a GREAT idea!

But I also want to do laundry, so thought the deeper sink would be better for double duty. I have one of those hand-spun laundry tumblers that I use when camping. Does a fine job cleaning, but does need a couple of good wrinses to get all the soap from the clothes. That deep sink will help a lot with that.

I'll look at the shower again as I get closer to installation time. Until then, I'll keep my options open and probably keep changing my mind
Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I don't know about the wash tub, but that clothes wringer looks like a winner!
The washer I have now is the "Wonder Washer" http://laundry-alternative.com/washing.htm. I've been using this during camping events for years and love it. But I do get tired of wringing things dry, so having the roller-wringer is awesome! Thanks for the link.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Went looking at another bus from Craigslist last night. It was located on the "other side of the water" from where I live... a good 1/2 drive on a good day. Potentially three times as long in afternoon traffic. Although it looked like a great day, I dread riding the motorcycle in bad traffic, so my mother volunteered to drive, no doubt curious what I'm getting into.

We were told the bus would be waiting for us "outside the fence" so we could see it. But when we arrived... nadda. So we drove around a little and looked. There was a junk yard on one side of the road with a huge white bus that looked like it had seen better days parked just inside the fence. On the other side of the road behind a moat-sized ditch was the fenced-in area of a metal scrap yard. The fence had that green screening stuff over it, but we could just make out the shape of four nice-sized school buses.

Hmmm....

Well the big white bus was definitely NOT an option. Just too badly rusted. But the other buses - what we could see of them - looked promising.

Okay, let's try the scrap yard.

When we drove to the front of the business, we asked the guy washing his truck if he knew of anyone selling their schoolbus in this area.

"Yeah, hold on." He threw his towel down and disappears into an office like building behind us.

A couple seconds later, he came back out with two guys in tow - a short, balding guy with a friendly smile and a scruffy looking guy who looks like he spends most of his time buried elbows deep in a motor.

"Smiley" pops his head in the car window. "Yeah, you need somethin?"

"I'm looking for a bus..."

Before I can explain about craigslist, he breaks into an even wider smile. "How many you want?"

I'm both shocked and amused. "Just one. We're supposed to meet someone who had one for sale on Craigslist."

"Who you supposed to meet?"

"Sean."

"Yeah, he prolly fell asleep. Hold on."

At this point Smiley whips out a phone and proceeds to wake up Sean, who forgot we were supposed to meet him and appears to be too lazy to come unlock the gate so we can see the bus. I'm thinking Sean really isn't very interested in selling his buses today.

The guy who called him, however, seemed interested. He pointed to Mr. Scruffy and says, "Go show em my bus."

Scruffy leads us to the side of the office. There's a couple of obviously dead cars, a skeletal truck, and a travel trailer that at first looks like scrap until I noted the new extension cord running to the outlet. And, of course, there was the bus. It wasn't exactly what I want, but what the heck. I took a look.

Nice body. Eight windows. Obviously "custom" black and white paint job with a funny little skull and crossbones painted on the side. Great looking tires with lots of tread. I crawl underneath the bus and look for signs of rust. It's black with grime, but no rough areas that would indicate a bad case of rot. Nice big areas for some grey and fresh water tanks! I'm happy about that.

I snap a couple of pictures and crawl back out from under the bus to go inside. The seats are all there, still in decent shape. The captain's area is the standard utilitarian seat and controls. Automatic drive... I'm liking that, even though I think I'll need a manual drive to crawl over the dirt roads. Scruffy says it's a deisel 9.something engine with air brakes. I'd need a CDL endorsement to drive it.

Overall, it's a very nice looking bus. Obviously well loved and used to take folks to the local games and such. But it's only about 20' of living space behind the captain's chair. I'd really like an extra 5' or so to live. And forget trying to make that small a space long-term livable with an 8' motorcycle in the back!

Just on a whim, I go inside to ask Smiley how much he wants for the bus. Unfortunately, he's on the phone with someone and another customer is waiting to speak with him. As I'm standing there waiting, I'm amused to see a 2 liter bottle of coke, a liter of orange juce, and a big bottle of vodka. These guys know how to relax at work!

Still talking on the phone, Smiley motions me into another office and writes a phone number on a card and stage whispers to call later for more information.

Although I left the scrapyard knowing next to nothing about potential buses for sale, it wasn't a wasted trip. I now know of a good sized scrap yard that has a couple of travel trailers on site that I might be able to scavenge parts from. I need to visit another couple of scrap yards in the local area first to see if they have anything comparable. But if not, I know I'll be making a trip back "over the water" to get some goodies.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Well, I was at it again with the floor plans. This time, I actually remembered to take the WHEEL WELLS into consideration (DOH!)

Here's a review of the evolution of the floor plan to date:

Plan #1 ... was to use the entire bus as living space.

Plan #2 ... took into consideration I really didn't want to make things any more complicated than necessary, so I made the back into a garage to carry the bike instead of trying to tow a separate trailer.

Plan #3 ... is where I had my "DOH!" moment and realized I never thought about the wheel wells while planning furniture placement. And in both plan A & B, the shower or toilet would have been in that area. Not a good plan.

So far, C is the favorite.

Tomorrow, I'll change my mind again.

I need to decide soon, though, because Friday I pick up my new bus YAY! Then it will be nothing but grinding and cleaning and priming and insulating and... and... and...
Old 05-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #9

I like the way you did away with the unnecessary stuff in the latest floorplan. Goofy stuff like the driver's staion, entrance stairway etc.

Seriously though, would you rather put the shower and stool on the same side. Plumbing would be a bit easier and use the space more efficiently.

I am working on a floor plan for a planned skooolie and I know what you are going through. nothing out there is quite what you want, but there are so many nuances to planning the perfect layout (wheel wells for example!).

Carl
carlsauction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Okay, told ya it would happen... here are 4 more floor plans for 25 foot of living space.

Note 1 - In all of these plans, I expect to use a Sun-Mar Mobile composting toilet. Minimal space requirements are 24" wide (for the person on the seat) by 36" long (to pull out tray for emptying). I've increased the width to 30" because I'm not a tiny person.

Note 2 - The green couch has a twin sized bunk bed over it, and a storage cabinet/shelf behind it. The television/computer monitor across from it will have cabinets built all around.

Note 3 - In the 1st plan, the kitchen counters are a standard 24" deep. In the 2nd & 3rd plan, the counters are cut down to 18" deep to allow for more "comfort zone".

Note 4 - Everyone has a minimum amount of personal space they need to maintain for comfort. For me, this "comfort zone" is about 30". While making the plan, I used this circle to maintain comfortable walking space between furniture. Doors and some entryways are only slightly smaller at 28" wide.

Note 5 - I agree that the shower and the kitchen sink need to be side-by-side. These plans were put together with the idea I'll just run extra line and have multiple pumps for water flow. While it can be done... I agree it isn't really a good idea.

Note 6 - The last floor plan just says "what the hell" and removes the bike altogether and puts it in a 12' trailer behind the bus. I'm not comfortable with the idea of towing another vehicle, but if this is going to be a 'home-sweet-home', more living space is a good thing. I can hope that I'll just get used to being a +50' long vehicle !!!

Tomorrow... I'll create a few more plans with a standard 24" RV bathtub and plumbing considerations.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I'm also finding that plans are changing as soon as I find a new website with more information and supplies for building stuff. For example, I found a link to an RV surplus site that offers these cool flip-up couches and beds. They store up close to the wall for travel and flip down for sleeping/living. I have no idea how comfortable they are (guess it's time to see some in a toyhauler at our local RV dealership). But I've slept on a swivel down couch before and, while it was a little short (even for my 5'4"), it was very comfortable!

Ah well. This is all just creative frustration cutting loose after not buying a bus this weekend. I'm SO CLOSE! How did you guys stand the hunt for that "perfect" bus?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Went out to look at another bus tonight. It was a 1998 GMC that was already converted into a "toy hauler". It had 11 windows and absolutely no back wall. The guys who used it said they carried both a car and a truck inside! But there were two half-inch metal plates welded onto the rear that allowed them to carry the truck because it was just a little too long to fit completely inside.

The body was rusty, but not overly so. A good sanding and coat of rust prevention would fix that. Most of the windows were busted out, but I wasn't going to reuse those windows anyway. It had two and a half feet more "living area" than the first bus. But...

Tommy said it needed a lot more work than the first bus. So... Once more, I came home empty handed.

I saw the "perfect" bus on the way out, but it was obviously still in service haulin' kids home. Bummer! I just have to keep patient and wait it out! But waaa! I'm such a winer sometimes
Old 05-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Hang in there, you'll find the right bus for you. At least there are a lot of choices within easy driving distance for you to check out.

I actually drove over 500 miles to get my bus. First time I laid eyes on it I thought "holy @#%$ that thing is huge!" followed by "she sure is ugly!".

The seller was very communicative and supportive through the whole experience. The only thing that didn't match up in the ad was that he said he thought it was a turbo engine, and it wasn't. Still, I'm very happy with my bus. I'll be even happier when I get that roof raised...

Keep on looking, you'll find your conversion bus.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Found my IDEAL bus! The PERFECT holy grail of buses!
http://www.floridachurchbus.com/91y1103tchc8/two.html

This is the bus I see driving around town all the time that I absolutely LOVE!!! I figure, buy one of these, then haul a little enclosed cargo trailer behind, and I'd have the best of both worlds!

Now if only this wasn't about twice what I can afford to pay!!!

And if I can't have the "short bus", then I can make do with it's big brother
http://www.floridachurchbus.com/97m5666tphc/two.html
Old 06-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
Bus Nut

After looking online at dozens of websites, I keep coming back to the first bus I saw and posted images of at the beginning of this blog. It's not "exactly" what I want, but it may be "just what I need". Namely, a dependable vehicle in excellent shape that gives me room to work and live inside full time.

This is "exactly" what I want: a relatively medium size bus that I would feel comfortable driving and hauling a cargo trailer behind.

The disadvantage to this bus is what makes it so appealing to me: it's short! Limited living space means feeling clausterphobic after a while? I donno. But it makes me smile every time I see one like it.

This bus, however, is probably "just what I need": dependable, large, inexpensive.

The disadvantage to this is merely cosmetics and inexperience. I prefer the flat faced buses over the dog nosed. Donno why. Even after talking aerodynamics, I prefer the brick shaped bus Crazy! And driving something this size really intimidates me. I've always driven tiny vehicles - from 3 cylinder Geometros to motorcycles. If it's small, I absolutely love it!

Either way I go, I need to make a decision soon before the Universe decides for me!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I know my 66 passenger drives like a dream, I've driven all size vehicles and prefer larger vehicles, but all that aside...
The mirrors make the rigs very easy to drive, I never realized how important those "bug eyes" in front were until I got to use them. Despite being significantly larger than others, my bus isn't hard at all to drive, you really get a feel quickly for them. A smaller one may be a bit more manageable, but in planning out my bus (without a workspace onboard), I can tell you that you can't put a price on space.

Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck in your search and I'm sure you'll find the right fit for you. I'll keep a watch on your progress and thank you for following mine.

Also, although mine is dog-nose, I must say there is something more graceful about a flat front bus, however, it also looks a bit more commercialized to me. The dog-nose evokes a spirit of adventure and freedom to me, where a flat nose looks that much more like a stereotypical rv. Ok...down off my soap box.
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
nickverge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Have you looked at the busses and trucks based on the P30 style chassis? Think fedex or ups or bread truck.

I always thought it would be cool to tow one of those as the "toad" behind a skoolie. Once could even convert it for basic getaway camping while having the bigger bus for full time living.

I also thought one of those shorter bluebirds would be cool in the same capacity, and look more like a bus train going down the road. Plus, if the primary vehicle broke down the secondary one could tow it a short distance.

Finding the right bus is a very personal experience. Hang in there.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Those types of box buses were what I started looking at when this crazy idea first reared it's ugly head. Then I stumbled upon THIS site... and all thoughts of other vehicles promptly flew from my mind.
So I blame YOU GUYZ for the mess I'm in now!
(thanks guyz!!!!)

Got a call from a local dealer who said he had the exact bus I want for the price I'm willing to pay. SWEET! Problem is, his business hours are the same as mine, so I'm going to have trouble getting out there to look at it. Especially since he doesn't work weekends. THEN he emails me and says, Oh, by the way, there's another fella coming by to look at the same bus Friday. I'll let you know if he buys it or not.

Now, I'll admit I'm a paranoid cuss. But that's one of the oldest tricks in the book to get someone to jump on a bum sale. The fact it's on a bus I really want just makes it all the more irritating.
I could play devil's advocate and give the benefit of the doubt and say he was really being nice to let me know I have competition and might want to arrange to get there before Friday. But still...

I was outbid on ebay, so I guess I'll see if I can take off work to go see this one and just hope my inexperienced self can spot anything major that may be wrong. I've quibbled enough. It's time to plunk down the chunk-o-change and be happy damnit!
Old 06-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Re: TygerCub Bought A Bus.... Meet "BOB"

So... Friday, I was all psyched to drive out to Evington, VA and buy my "Perfect" bus. Right size, right mileage, right distance, right price.

Luckily, I called before making the 2 hour trip, 'cause it sold earlier that day.
!@$@!!! Grrrr!! PHOOEY!

I was majorly bummed. It was too good to be true.

So... I started looking on Craig's list again. This time, expanding my search. Finally, I spotted a couple buses in the northern VA section that looked promising. A 1990 International and a 1995 Bluebird. Both at a price I could afford. I shot off a query. Within minutes, I get a reply on both. Apparently, they were owned by the same guy. Okay, I had nothing better to do on Saturday... Let's take a Road Trip!

4 and a half hours later, I'm tired, cranky, wishing I'd taken a chance and ridden the bike instead of being fumed out by the car (which desperately needs a new seal on the back window to keep the fumes from coming inside), but finally up in Front Royal looking at a bus. Not just any old bus. A Big Old Bus. BOB. He said so himself. Whispered it to me as I stood there wondering what the hell I was about to get into. Either that or the fumes were worse than I thought.

"Buy Me"

There it was again. That voice. It had to be the bus because the guy showing it to me was talking about glow plugs and leaky windows and getting zapped by the quick-fix he had to bypass the switch. Um... okaaay. I tried to ignore the voice as I crawled over and under and around the bus, looking for things I could definitely say would be a deal breaker.

A lot of rust, but nothing a needlegun and Rust-o-leum wouldn't fix.

The driver's area could use a little work, but I planned on customizing the control panels anyway.

It was already gutted, painted and had duelie A/C units in the rear, a current inspection and tires with great tread.

Not much bad I could say about it. With 11 windows, I'd have about 25 feet of living space behind the driver's side. The walls were straight, and because the interior paneling ran lengthwise instead of horizontally, there weren't a gazillion rivets to deal with! WooHoo!

"Drive Me"

Okay, BOB now you're just being pushy. But... I really did need to see if I would be comfortable driving something this big. Oddly enough, it wasn't as intimidating as I'd expected. The captain's chair didn't exactly fit me, but except for a little wobble in the steering at high speeds -- like at 65mph! Yeah Ba-bee! -- it drove like a dream. Slow to start, sure, but it's a freakin' big old bus, so what could I expect?!?! We went a couple miles out, made a few tight turns, went slow, fast, uphill and down. Only major drawback was the fumes coming in from the rear through the A/C units, but hey... I was already fumigated by my own car, so I didn't notice a thing.

I don't know if it was the fumes, or BOB's natural charms, but I put a deposit down on the bus to hold it for a couple of weeks until I can get back out there to pick it up. In the mean time, I've got a lot of arranging to do, tools to buy, and spaces to rent.

OMG, I'm a freakin' skoolie owner! WooHoo!!!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Congratulations TygerCub!

I'm glad your trip was worth it...4 1/2 hours is a bit much. If your seat is anything like mine, you'll want to bring some extra cushions with you for the drive home. Good luck!
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
nickverge is offline   Reply With Quote