Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: USF Scoolie HELP more power DT-466 swap???

I would not want to change a motor on a bus like that (or mine) with the flat front/front engine setup...

What about a bigger turbo?

Different gears? What are you topping out at now?

Maybe turn up the governor and HP? I don't know exactly how to do it but others on here have done this and seen power gains.

Good luck...

Old 09-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Sorry I don't have any advice on the swap. It would be extremely difficult on your bus. You'd need a pit to lower the motor into somehow. If you have the AT545 tranny, you might want to swap that instead. Try the MT643. I'm thinking that the motor would "bolt in" motor mount wise. But again, I'm not sure. Most of us just deal with pathetically slow buses. I cruise at 55mph. Your bus looks pretty sweet. I'm interested in your roof deck. Do you have any more pictures of it or a better description of how it works? How do you get up there?
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Bus Geek

somewhere i have a link on how to turn up the fuel delivery rate for the motor. I used to cruise up hills at painfully slow speeds with my dt360/at545 and i got under 7mpg most of the time. I turned up the govenor when i first got the bus that increased my rpms from 2300 stock to 2700 now well below the 3100 rpm redline.

about a year ago i turned up the fuel delivery rate, and i just got back from a nearly 5K mile trip from michigan to nevada and back. Not only did i scream past other skoolies on uphill climbs i actually got better fuel economy overall. I used to drive the bus with the pedal to the floor all the time. now that i've turned up the hp, i drive with the pedal at 3/4 throttle. I'm guessing that i get better mpg because i'm not running against the govenor all the time, but i don't really know.

As for hill climbing with all that added weight i think you should install a egt guage to make sure you're not melting pistons if you turn up the fuel.

I would immagine that you can also find higher hp injectors. the dt360 and dt466 are nearly identical motors, someone might know better than me, but they might even use the same engine block. Perhaps 466 injectors will fit into a 360?

Have you considered propane injection?

Finding a good used dt466 and swapping it into a flat front end bus sounds like far more money, time, effort and energy than anyone should spend....but i'm sure it could be done.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
trx
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx

There's also water injection but I believe your engine has an aftercooler so I'm not sure how much water injection would help.

Someone sells a kit but you could probably build it yourself based on the pictures they have.

Chad
trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
Skoolie

Any decisions on this? I'm curious about finding more power in a DT360.
davido is offline   Reply With Quote