Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Victoria

Everyone has their own opinions about the floor. I pulled my rubber and original plywood up and I'm VERY glad I did. There was rust and rotting wood under that rubber that I never would have seen had I not pulled it up. I also eliminated a lot of that "bus smell" by removing the rubber. I figured I couldn't change what I did with the floor once I started converting so I wanted to do it right. I ended up fixing the rust, plugging the holes, giving it several coats of paint, laying furring strips, insulating between the strips, putting down a vapor barrier, and THEN putting the subfloor down. Of course there are plenty on this board that have just built on the rubber as well.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

nickverge said
Quote:
more space that would have been dedicated to the stateroom
Stateroom... I like your style.

Have you checked into sprayfoam for insulation? I know its a little more money but it gives you your vapour barrier right way as well, certainly saving you a few bucks in poly and labour. Otherwise rigid polystyrene is best, I remember vaguely a thread on the subject here... um... found it here

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3685&p=29562&hilit=extruded+p olystyrene#p29562
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, I'll check out the spray foam. I have been calling it stateroom, and now I can think of a reason why... Victoria will be a luxurious land yacht, . Well that's the best I can think of, off for another day of bus work, and work work. I'll try to get a few pics if I can.
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
nickverge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #34
Bus Geek

did ya see the photo of some guy on skoolie.net that sank his shower pan down into the floor so you would step down into the shower...a lot easier than a roof raise.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Sinking the shower pan, thats a good idea. I think there would be sufficient ceiling height if I put the shower anywhere on the main floor, it's just that above the wheel wells would make the perfect spot, if the ceiling wasn't so low, that and I can't really lower the floor there. . Great idea though! I had never even thought of that.
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 65

How about a shower in the center that goes down in the floor but when not in use you place a flat cover over the base and the shower curtain and hoses retract to a closet built for them? a portable shower.
smitty500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #37
Bus Nut

don't foget to allow room for a trap under the shower drain to keep the smell out,
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
did ya see the photo of some guy on skoolie.net that sank his shower pan down into the floor so you would step down into the shower...a lot easier than a roof raise.
That was Andy B Bus 9 - starts here in the gallery:
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk...ower1.jpg.html
I thought that was a great idea!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Well we got most of the subfloor done today. I took some pictures too, unfortunately they were on my camera (not on a card) and I've yet to find the cord to hook it up to the computer. I may just put a card in the camera and retake the same pictures so that I can post them tomorrow. I'm thinking of going with the idea of using the bathroom floor as a shower pan, with a drain in the floor. I figured that instead of putting the shower head above the bathroom door, I could just put it over the tub, and then bend it to face the floor when I want to take a shower instead of a bath. In doing this, I will still be able to put the bathroom where the wheel humps are how I originally planned. My only concern now is whether or not the differential will get in the way of the drain. At worst, I can just put the drain right behind where the differential ends.

I checked out bus number 9 and I was very impressed with the quality of work. I am planning to put a lot of great craftsmanship into Victoria. So far it is going well, and quickly. We plan on having the rest of the subfloor (including steps) and the exterior walls framed by tomorrow morning. Perhaps we can frame the interior walls now that I have basically planned the layout, but I think it might be better to wait until we get the tub and appliances in, so that we know they'll fit.

It is going along quickly, but I suppose since my uncle only works a few hours a day, and I only work a few hours a week, there is a lot more time than most people have to dedicate to it. Anyways, I'm still stoked about it, and I can't wait for the maiden voyage. For the record I have no idea when or where that will be, but the prospect is still very exciting!
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Nick said
Quote:
So far it is going well, and quickly. We plan on having the rest of the subfloor (including steps) and the exterior walls framed by tomorrow morning.

Oh geeze dude, I got to get going on my bus again. By the time I get my new suspension in you are going to have road stories already! Keep it up. Your doing an amazing amount of work in very little time.
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote