Old 06-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Victoria

Quick update:

Yesterday I got 12 2x4's to add to my stash for framing the walls on Victoria. Menards also had Tarkett laminate hardwood on sale, so I got a $35 box and laid it down for the kitchen. And I got a laminate remnant for $1.69 to make a bar area out of since I won't be incorporating a dinette. I'm amazed at the quality of laminate, this particular piece looks and feels just like slate.

Anywho, things are coming along.

http://www.walterstribe.com/skewly/inside.html

I see this person got a 55 gallon food service rated drum for $8, anyone know where I might find a similar deal? Otherwise I could just try to email them, but I would appreciate any of your help. I will post pictures very soon, we should be framing the walls next week.

It would be really nice to take Victoria on a road trip, but you have to have insurance in order to get a license plate here in Michigan, and it is not quite up to standards to be insured according to my state farm agent. Is there anyone who will insure it without a huge hassle?
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
nickverge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

What a day! I decided to "top off" the bus battery because it kept giving me trouble holding a charge. Apparently I filled it too much, because when I hooked the cables back up, water/acid started coming out from under the caps, it wasn't a ton of water, but very noticeable. After that I tried to start the bus, but the battery was still essentially dead. I tried to jump it with my car's battery, and the 6 gauge jumper cables I have always used started to smoke, and started to melt on the end that was hooked to my car's battery. Does anyone have any idea why this might have happened, talk about scary...
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

As far as I know, there is only one "8D" Battery to the bus. When this is dead, nothing works on the bus. What kind of batteries did you replace yours with? I appreciate the help.
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Today I got a battery charger machine and decided to try and start my pickup truck. I looked and saw that it was a negative ground. When I looked at the bus configuration, I noticed I had it backwards. After switching the wires and some charging...Victoria fired right up and ran as smooth as could be . I have been researching for ideas on luxury conversions. Some seem slightly impractical, but I'm sure a good balance will come along. Hopefully I can make some progress on the conversion.

I saw one user had an inline heater (for car coolant) using it as a water heater. I can't remember who, but if you are reading or if anyone has a similar configuration, could you let me know how it worked out? I would appreciate it greatly. Also, does anyone know where I would find the 55 gallon food grade drums locally. I don't like the idea of paying 5x the cost of the item for shipping on ebay.

Thank you all, and I'll post some pictures (after I do some cleaning, I wouldn't want anyone to see that mess)
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #65
Bus Nut

Send a message via AIM to baadpuppy Send a message via MSN to baadpuppy Send a message via Yahoo to baadpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickverge
Also, does anyone know where I would find the 55 gallon food grade drums locally. I don't like the idea of paying 5x the cost of the item for shipping on ebay.
Check with your local soda bottling company. I've been told the local pepsi bottling company is giving them away for free.

hope this helps,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Update w/ Pictures :D

Ok...I have had absolutely no luck finding 55 gallon plastic food grade drums. I called everywhere I could think of that would use them. On the bright side, post and kelloggs as well as ralston cereal are all here, so I think I might be able to find something there.

Anywho...I thought of an idea that incorporated an eating area and entertainment center today, so I had to draw it out and build it while it was fresh in my mind. Whilst on the bus I decided to do some cleaning so I could upload some pictures for all of you. I will post a few on here and a link to google picasa to view the rest of them, since I don't have much luck showing more than 2 pictures on here.

This is the unit I built today, I used 2.5 2x4's, a scrap piece of osb, and a $1.69 piece of scrap laminate countertop. It not only works well as a bar to dine at, it allows seating for 2 more people onboard Victoria.

I got this light fixture for $8 at menards because it was their last one, and an unnoticeable cosmetic weld had come undone. I wish they had two, because I wanted to use them on either side of the bed. I couldn't pass on the deal, but I have no idea where to put this...any ideas?

Looking forward in the living room. I love that couch, it's so comfortable.

Here is the laminate wood floor that I will use in the kitchen area, a temporary minifridge, and the microwave I plan on using...it looks like a 2x4 snuck its way into the picture as well.

This is the only space around the bed, so I am not sure if I'll be able to keep things that way...it's a bit of a squeeze, any ideas?

Ok...here is a link for the rest of the pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/aleanis/Bus202#

PS: I think I will not keep the tub in the bus, and instead make the living room a bit smaller (it will be the size you see in the pics) use a shower, and make the bedroom a lot bigger. What do you all think?
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Is the stock roof of the bus capable of being a roof deck itself and supporting the weight of multiple people...or will I need to frame a deck above it? I just thought about that rooftop deck complete with minifridge and bbq grill that I wanted
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 07-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #68
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Make sure everything you have is secured tightly. Buses don't ride particularly well and if it isn't strapped, screwed, nailed, glued, or bolted, it's coming down. Believe me, I know.

Jason (lapeer20m) uses his stock bus heaters to heat his jacuzzi. I use a stacked plate heat exchanger for heating veggie oil. The stacked plate method would work well for making hot water. Just be forewarned that your bus is obviously going to have to be running and even at an elevated idle diesels just don't make a lot of heat. If you don't mind showering while going down the road then it isn't a bad plan. Otherwise I'd only use the heat exchanger in conjunction with another back up method. You can get the heat exchangers pretty cheap on eBay. More plates=more heat transfer

Oh and yes, the roof is quite capable of holding weight on its own.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

How did everyone attach their walls to the sides of the bus? I was thinking of just using adhesive to attach the studs to the side walls of the bus, but with all the vibrations that seems a bit scary...I don't know how well nails would hold, or if they would even go through the steel for that matter. I would rather not use screws, but that seems to be the only realistic way. the walls will be nailed to the floor, but the lip (where the seats in the bus were attached) on the sidewall would prevent going straight up from there. Surely someone has a solution!

Thanks,
Nick
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 07-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I used screws and construction adhesive to attach mine. Little steel corner brackets on each side of the stud and up to the roof or down to the floor really helped to reinforce things.