Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Make sure everything you have is secured tightly. Buses don't ride particularly well and if it isn't strapped, screwed, nailed, glued, or bolted, it's coming down. Believe me, I know.

Jason (lapeer20m) uses his stock bus heaters to heat his jacuzzi. I use a stacked plate heat exchanger for heating veggie oil. The stacked plate method would work well for making hot water. Just be forewarned that your bus is obviously going to have to be running and even at an elevated idle diesels just don't make a lot of heat. If you don't mind showering while going down the road then it isn't a bad plan. Otherwise I'd only use the heat exchanger in conjunction with another back up method. You can get the heat exchangers pretty cheap on eBay. More plates=more heat transfer

Oh and yes, the roof is quite capable of holding weight on its own.

or you can get one of these!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haws_0318.jpg (15.1 KB, 444 views)

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Um... Camo, what is it? I'm more of a computer geek than a motor-head...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Send a message via AIM to baadpuppy Send a message via MSN to baadpuppy Send a message via Yahoo to baadpuppy

It is a diesel fired water heater for an over the road coach style bus.

Those are nice units to get if you can, but make sure you end up with the complete setup and any documentation on installing them if you can.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

it's a water heater out of a 98 MCI bus for the heating system.
yes badpuppie is right it has no brain to it but if you have
been on a grayhound you know they work !!!!!!!!

camo-monster

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 AM   #75
Bus Nut

I know that Smitty was just being a smartass, and I dont mind that...

But I have plans to start a little project after getting a bus and all... Here's a few links just for Smitty.

http://www.rebelrocketry.com/R2D2/r2d2.htm
http://www.astromech.net
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/r2builders/
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/astromechs/
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #76
Mini-Skoolie

I really need to get some pics up! We have been making quite a bit of progress with Victoria.

So far done:
Walls framed and insulated
90% of interior wiring completed
Flooring in every room but the bathroom
New Milano Amber Laminate Counter for Kitchen

Still needs:
All plumbing lines
Plumbing fixtures
A stove or cooktop
Holding tanks for fresh and wastewater
Exterior Paint
Drywall or some kind of wall paneling to be painted
Bathroom flooring
A heating source
Drains for the window a/c units (mounted inside the bus), or a central (or rooftop) a/c unit
A new battery
Several batteries for a battery bank
Inverter(s)
Generator?
Bed Frame
Kitchen Appliances

I think all of that would get it up to snuff, but that list seems quite daunting. I am saving up to buy a rental house outright next month, after that I can really put some finances towards Victoria.

A few questions for everyone:
Is a generator necessary to be comfortable, or will a battery bank and large inverter do?

Would a standard rv/marine toilet be preferred over one with a built in 4 or 5 gallon tank?

Would it be better to just buy an old travel trailer from craigslist and take out all the stuff I need or buy the parts I need elsewhere?

An entertaining update:
I decided to take Victoria for a spin around the block to let her know she is still loved, and to keep everything moving. My girlfriend said that if I did that all of the stuff in the bus (which was not fastened down would fall over). When we finally got moving, nothing fell over. It was a bit overwhelming to drive, after only driving it once and not for a long time after that. Nonetheless, we made our way around the block, in a big conspicuous bus with no license plate. Dumb idea....yes. So we finally got back and began backing into the driveway when I saw red and blue flashers!!!

I panicked, then realized that they had pulled someone over just down the street, where I was 2 minutes ago! Then the police car began driving towards me. Talk about anxiety ! I tried to remain calm, and even waved at the officer as they slowed to a walking pace. This is about the time my girlfriend began freaking out. Fortunately, they just kind of gazed in amazement and kept driving by, they were so astounded that they drove by a second time . I figured that was a close one, and I think I'll get a plate on ol' girl before I go for a spin again.

Well that's all for now. Thank you for reading.
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
nickverge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #77
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

you might give a call to the local tag office or maybe Highway Patrol. Ask questions about antique plates. First find out if its 20 years old or 30 years old for a vehicle to be able to get antique plates. OR, if you even HAVE antique plates in your state. I ALMOST had antique plates on my 1969 bus till I screwed up and opened my mouth and started talking about my bus. A while ago I was told that you cant antique plate a vehicle thats over 15000 lbs. I went in to get my tags and told them I wanted to go ahead and antique plate it since it is a '69. The lady said "NO PROBLEM". She went and got my plate and had it on top of her computer and I figured I was home free and in the clear. I started telling her about the bus and she then says "oh wait, if it is wired for electric and all converted to a camper then we cant put an antique plate on it. Seems that if a vehicle has been modified from its original configuration then here in Kansas you cant put an antique plate on it. I told her that they probably shouldnt be going to any of the car shows around the area since theres a lot of old model A Fords out there with blown chevy engines in them running antique plates!! She said "well... we just go by what people tell us". I wanted to shoot myself right there. So I ended up with an RV plate instead. $55 a year for registration. as opposed to $17 bucks a year on the antique plate.
I guess what im saying is ask lots of questions. and ask more than one person because if you ask 4 people in the same office you will probably get 4 answers. When you get the answer you want go with it. Its all in that persons interpretation as to what they are gonna tell you.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #78
Mini-Skoolie

Mine is a 1987, so I'll check, but I don't think it would qualify , thanks for the tip though.
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #79
Mini-Skoolie

Does Michigan offer antique license plates?

Instead of antique plates, the state offers historical plates. To qualify, your vehicle must be at least 26 years old, owned as a collector's item, and be used only for parades, exhibitions, car club activities and any other function that might snare public attention.

Michigan does offer the option of dual registration if you also want to use your antique for everyday functions.

Nope
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike
Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #80
Mini-Skoolie

My battery keeps dying and it gets very annoying. It is I believe 1080 CCA, would an 850 CCA work instead? It is an International DT 466 Engine.
1993 Saturn SL2
1988 Chevy C1500
Kmart Mountain Bike