Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
A buddy of mine has a hiking/kayaking cat. He and the cat have been bounced from house to house because of crappy roommates. The cat is chill as hell since he's been thrown in with other people's dogs, cats, houses, etc. The only constant in its life is Dave so he'll even follow him around in a city setting. He goes for a pack of smokes and the cat follows until the first major busy road then waits. When hiking, the cat is like a dog. He runs ahead 20 feet or so, checks things out, and when its 20 feet behind, it runs up to the front again. Awesome cat.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Sounds like my cat.....couldn't throw her away if I wanted to. If I went somewhere and dropped her off, she would beat me back home.
dowoplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowoplover View Post
Sounds like my cat.....couldn't throw her away if I wanted to. If I went somewhere and dropped her off, she would beat me back home.
That's a good cat. I want a cross between the trained kitten and the alley cat at the pound. The one that comes out of the gas chamber with a smile on his face. Go ahead and let your German Shepard wander into the yard. Somethign half bobcat would be nice too.

Snoopy and WWII next door kind of thing.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #64
Almost There

Year: 1972
Engine: 366 BBC
Wow! Been so long! Just a mad dash of work on the bus before winter, plus the cold weather has made things hard... Going to start taking night classes again :/.... Anyway Progress!

First I finished the majority of the tear down.. Walls, floor, ceiling, dinette, bed.. A bit nasty and dirty work, good to see a solid foundation! Also was able to access and open my emergency door! I'd like to have it usable for something... Also you can see my massive heater.. If anyone has knowledge on it, I'd love to learn.. Bonus! Got my Extension cord!

So I started to prep for paint and clean... looks nice without all the junk...
So Jess came over and we painted! all the cabinets... She was bugging me to go for a motorcycle ride, and then winter happened so this is all the painting that is done lol

Long day today! I started fitting my new panels! Used 1/8" Finish Ply from Home Depot.... Used so nice glue, and a nail gun.. Starting to look real nice! This big one was a huge pain in the ass, its good enough... and then I finished all the panels! Woop! What a job!! I still have yet to finish sanding, filing, and painting... But its getting very cold...Which brings me to the next point.. I learned space heaters on 100' cords tend to melt the wires.. So I really needed to get the house electrical working on the bus.. As you can see it was already wired... But I didn't trust it.. Yes those are water lines lol. And bam!!! (Yes I know its not to code, I will fix it) But this was the first ever breaker box I wired. Hell I never even replaced a socket... Like I said, I gotta fix those wire nuts.. But I'm very happy I accomplished something scary like this! Oh and I finally plugged the bus in! Everything works! Yay! So I stung up my Phillips HUE LED's... So much brighter now!

And that brings me to where it sits now... Been spending a lot of time getting our house ready for winter.. But I got the itch to work on it more..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0541.jpg   IMG_0545.jpg   IMG_0555.jpg   IMG_0562.jpg   IMG_0694.jpg  

IMG_0695.jpg   IMG_0693.jpg   IMG_0698.jpg   IMG_0699.jpg   IMG_0602.jpg  

IMG_0898.jpg   IMG_0251.jpg   IMG_0252.jpg   IMG_0261.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #65
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Great progress ! So glad to see you tearing-out the old to see what issues need to be addressed. No funk in the Swag Pad.

Winter is a hell of a motivator. Inside right now for a few to warm-up, then back outside as my mistress beckons.

Worst part of Winter for me is the short daylight.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #66
Almost There

Year: 1972
Engine: 366 BBC
That’s the best part, the more I dig the better it looks. Unlike so many other projects people make lol. And yes! That’s the worst! I get home from work and it’s black out.... that was the main reason for getting the electrical going. Now I can plug in way more lights and heaters!
IanT720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Great progress ! So glad to see you tearing-out the old to see what issues need to be addressed. No funk in the Swag Pad.

Winter is a hell of a motivator. Inside right now for a few to warm-up, then back outside as my mistress beckons.

Worst part of Winter for me is the short daylight.
Seems to be a big problem for me.. I cant seem to get motivated to go out and freeze my cajonas off. Piling up parts in the mean time.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #68
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Seems to be a big problem for me.. I cant seem to get motivated to go out and freeze my cajonas off. Piling up parts in the mean time.
Once you get it insulated, pop a space heater i there. It's amazing.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #69
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Once you get it insulated, pop a space heater i there. It's amazing.
39° yesterday. The propane tank top heater worked great on the bare steel bus.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #70
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Remember that you NEED both a CO2 and a propane monitor/alarm. A sealed up tin can will turn deadly very quickly if you get too much of either which can happen fast. And the process of burning anything inside can very quickly use up all the oxygen.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #71
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Remember that you NEED both a CO2 and a propane monitor/alarm. A sealed up tin can will turn deadly very quickly if you get too much of either which can happen fast. And the process of burning anything inside can very quickly use up all the oxygen.
Totally agree there Tango. people tend to seal these buses up so tight.They have to breathe or you won't be. Over insulating, sealing windows all have drawbacks.
Safety first folks!

John
Old 12-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Quote:
The air intake for the engine is a louvered panel where the 14th row of windows should be. There was a cover on it but I removed it to get at teh ribs. Also had 2 widows directly across from each other opened to the 1st or 2nd notch. My bus is anything but airtight. There are a few rivets missing as well.

Speaking of, what the hell is the name for the air hammer tool for smashing rivets? Rivet smasher isn't working so well.

Ordered this, hope it works for 3/16 round head solid steel rivets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I thought your interior was stripped out already.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Depends on how we define interior. The flooring and seats have been out for a long while. Ceiling and walls between front seat and rear seat were down. Then I went after the front and rear caps. Then moved to the outside rivets.

The sheet metal box that is the air intake was one of the last pieces to come down. If I had drilled all the rivets from outside the bus, I could have left it. Should probably put it back just so I don't drop $hit down the hole.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #75
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post

The sheet metal box that is the air intake was one of the last pieces to come down. If I had drilled all the rivets from outside the bus, I could have left it. Should probably put it back just so I don't drop **** down the hole.
Hang-in there, Bob. It's trying at times, but in the end, we will have amazing RV's and know every inch of them !

Try and take some pictures as you go. Sometimes people have good suggestions when they see your methods. (riveting with 2 rocks)

Come Summer, we will all get together for a beer to compare scars.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #76
Bus Geek

I'm not big into videos like the Youtubers but I do have a fair number of stills. Everything for the past few months has been rivet removal. Pretty boring stuff. But I'm close to putting together another video of stills. When I do the raise and even during the cutting, I'll have to take some video. Everyone loves when the sparks fly. The raise itself of course will be interesting. I'll just be glad when I get that done. It will be nice to be building instead of destructing.

I need to go back and watch build videos myself. Put in storage tanks, external storage etc when, where, how? Before interior framing? Before cabinets for sure.

I have a floor plan from months ago that the gf likes. Is it still viable? Need to tape it off and "build" with cardboard boxes. Sure 28" is wide enough for a hallway/corner; what happens when two people try to pass each other? where's that slide out drawer going to stop at? etc. At least that will still be putting stuff together instead of ripping it apart.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
He meant CO, not CO2

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
He meant CO, not CO2
Maybe easier said? Is you need a way for fresh air to get in and a way for the combustion air from the stove,heater to get out.
And if you are using the appliances but don't have your wiring ready then places like Campmor, or a lot of the RV places have battery operated units to detect cafe oxygen levels which don't have a very big window in long term exposure areas.
The minimum for a human is 19.3 and the maximum is only 22.5 to 23.
I know that from the confined space work that I do and am re-trained on yearly.
Without proper ventilation?
Grinding/wire wheeling rust will set it off.
Welding
Certain paints,thinners,sealers.
Any heat providing source like a cutting torch,copper sweating torch if the smoke accumulates enough.
A fuel or gas fired heater is what they were designed to protect you against but there are many more things that we do and don't think about?
I have wire wheeled and ground so much rust in my life that I can smell it a mile away.
Kinda of in the same area with me is dry cutting concrete.?
Don't know how many times I have came home and picked or blown rust and or concrete boogers out of my nose and eyes because I didnt use the proper safety precautions?
Ventilation (fresh air in and exhausted air out)
Breathing mask
Proper eyewear for the task.
If anyone wants to complain about cuts on there hands or fingers then put on some gloves. Sorry that ones was meant for my men at work but could apply here?
Safety first is the key.
If not you won't get to enjoy your efforts and your family won't(cut off here)
NO BAD JUJU?
Be safe!
Now get to work!
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #79
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
I have wire wheeled and ground so much rust in my life that I can smell it a mile away.
The movie said there's nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning. I dunno what that smells like but I do know the smell of burnt steel.

Gloves probably would have left my thumb intact when I flicked the table saw. Would have left the glove rubbing and gotten my hand out of there before hitting the blade. But where's the fun in that?