Old 03-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Yeah, 20" rims are definitely something to avoid. Sorry to hear about your stress, just try to smile and stay positive.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
At the very least, someone will learn from our experiences!! For now, I've got pizza on order and cold beer in the fridge!

And, in true mumbledymumbledy-year-old fashion, I called my Dad to cry on his shoulder.

Who is still supportive of this idea and will send us a check for 6 new tires on the rims so we can save up to convert the rims in a couple of years. We plan on driving her once a month at least to prevent all these issues from cropping up again. We know a lot of them are a result of her being "ridden hard and put away wet" - she was driven once a year, 70 miles to the coon hound trials, parked for a week, and 70 miles back home again to be parked until the next year. Poor old girl.
WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Do you have spoke or disc wheels?

You should be able to find replacement wheels and tubeless tires for about the same price as a new set of tube type tires and a set of tubes.

Good used steel wheels are usually available for well under $100.00 per wheel and brand new ones for under $200.00 per wheel.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

They look like disc wheels in the pictures I took which are not very good pictures at all. I figured she'd come straight home, after all!

Time to google!!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

If you have disc wheels you will need to know if they are hub piloted or stud piloted.

Hub piloted wheels will have two piece flange nuts and the holes in the wheels will not have a chamfer for the lug nuts need to seat. The rear wheels will have a single two piece flange nut holding the dual wheels tight.

Stud piloted wheels will have lug nuts that will seat into the chamfer/bevel in the wheel. On the rear wheels it will have a double nut--an inner thimble will seat and tighten the inner wheel and an outer nut that will seat and tighten the outer wheel.

If you have spoke wheels the wheels will be held on to the spokes with a wedge and a nut holding the wedge in tight. When the wheel is off there is no center to the wheel.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

When we finally get her in the driveway, we'll do some digging! Thank you so much for the information!! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and y'all are really helping me cope!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingLass View Post
When we finally get her in the driveway, we'll do some digging! Thank you so much for the information!! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and y'all are really helping me cope!

Don't feel bad, I dropped my bus off in July 2014 for a blow by issue, a motor swap and a radiator rebuild later.... I was supposed to go pick it up today, but the weather was so bad through out the southeast, I got delayed another week.....talk about frustrated!!!!

-Doc
Old 03-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Oh no!!
Old 03-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #29

as to your radiator , you should be able to have it Recored at a Radiator shop . Years back I put a hole in my radiator and none were to be found , so we removed it ,had her recored and she is still cooling .
Great story , hope you make Lemonade out of those lemons
al perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
as to your radiator , you should be able to have it Recored at a Radiator shop . Years back I put a hole in my radiator and none were to be found , so we removed it ,had her recored and she is still cooling .
Great story , hope you make Lemonade out of those lemons
My understanding is it's the baffles? on the outside that are also bad - as in Ohio snow/ice road treatments got the better of it and they were falling off as they were working on it? I'll ask WanderingJuggler when he gets home from work.

And he said they're spoke tires, not disc. I hope that doesn't make too much of a difference on the estimate I received.

We're definitely making lemonade! Mid-April we'll be in a small, coastal town in Washington and we plan on enjoying every minute of it!