Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Did ya get your bus back yet?

wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #42
Almost There

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
We did, finally!!! They had ordered the wrong tires.

We got her home last Monday and started removing what we could. WanderingJuggler got a bed platform built Friday and we'd hoped to be on the road Monday, only a few days later than planned.

Guess who got sick Sunday and slept right through Monday? This chick, right here.

And guess who is sleeping through today....yup. Poor guy.

So frustrating! !
WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #43
Almost There

Sorry for the radio silence; we're also without Internet and limiting data usage.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #44
Almost There

Update!!

So...we've been offline for nearly a month! We recovered from the flu. WJ built a fantastic platform bed (I'll try to get pics uploaded to the album but Dad's internet is really slow...) on April 1, we started loading things over the weekend, and Sunday I was achey, tired, cold, not hungry even for soup, and just out of sorts. By Tuesday I had a temp of 102.9! Yay flu....

While I was recovering, he's loading, sorting, cleaning, and he kept walking around Wanda looking at the tires. You know, the ones that took them 3 bloody weeks to put on because (now that he's told me a bit more about conversations) they ordered the wrong tires [B]3 times[B]). He called up the shop and the guy grumbled a bit but the moment WJ said "I understand seating in, but these are loose" he sent out a service truck. About 1/2 of the lugs were not only not seated, but they were completely loose - the split rim still had a gap between the pieces! Crikey!

We finally left Akron, Ohio April 13th. And ran out of gas. We now know our range...and thank goodness for roadside assistance! Got to the truck stop north of Dayton, and as we're walking back out after eating to go to bed, I ask where the gas cap was. She's an old thing - te next day we stopped at an Auto Zone and there was nothing that could be used. I call the gas station from the night before and they checked the pump and there it still was. (External thread heavy thing!) So we backtracked the 36 miles to get it, and headed on our way again.

And not quite to Dayton as we're going through construction, we have people honking and pointing to the back of Wanda. There's no place to pull off as the shoulder was blocked off with concrete barriers, but we start slowing down and pull off as soon as we could. And.....the trailer is not on the hitch. It was, thankfully, about 50 feet back, in the ditch. The safety chains (not very heavy duty to begin with, to be fair) failed after the barriers, the trailer went nicely into the ditch, into a slough of mud and water, and stopped. Because of that mud, it didn't go up the steep embankment and flip. It's too mired, so we call a tow truck and they find a shop who can help with a better hitch set up and tow it there. Turns out the receiver isn't a 1-1/4" receiver - it's some spare tubing!! So the adapter wasn't working so well so these guys manufactured a sleeve to set in the receiver to hold the adapter better, found some engine hoist chain and cut us new safety chains, and p-clamped the wiring up for us. They also crawled under and around the trailer (this is a 10+ year old 4x8 folding kit from Harbor Freight that Dad and my brother put a permanent floor on plus rails) and declared it damage-free! We spent that night in a Motel 6 just on the other side of the Indiana state line!

They suggested we take the highway near the interstate and that sure was a pretty drive. We spent that night (the 15th) in Vermilion, IL, with no issues!!

The next day a random truck driver gave us some great advice and bought us the Rand McNally 2016 Motor Carrier's Atlas. He also highly recommended the I80 Truck Stop and so that's where we made it to that night and slept there. WOW is all I have to say about that place!!

Left there on the 17th but didn't get but 85 miles or so - we had to replace the upper radiator hose. Spent that night in Center Point, IA where I had a moment of panic as a truck driver started talking about the hitch. Well, the set up we had the hitch is like a giant lever so it looks like it's going to fall apart but it isn't. He was a really nice guy, too.

On the 18th we made it about 60 miles - but we stopped to meet Wauto!! He and WJ took out the failing thermostat and found a tube that needed replacement. His wife is super friendly and I'm so glad we got to meet up!! He was kind enough to introduce us to the shop in Traer, IA where we got the tube replaced (turns out that the tubes were installed wrong....). We spent that night in Waterloo, IA.

At this point, we'd been smelling some sulfur but assumed it was the stuff being spread on the crops as we drove by. Well, the smell was getting more pronounced when we stopped at a rest area - a quick Google...."WJ, you better check the battery." Sure enough...the battery was overflowing acid (I know I'm not saying that right, sorry!). So in Hampton, IA we bought a new battery. We spent that night in Albert Lea, MN.

From there, it was fairly smooth sailing. We spent the 20th in Sioux Falls, SD, the 21st in Murdo, SD, and we were in my Dad's driveway the 22nd. Other than running a bit warm on some of the long hills, she drove like a champ!

We boondocked every night but 1 at a truck stop and that was fantastic. But because it took so long, and we spent so much extra money (tow and hitch repair/chain, motel for 1 night, battery, radiator hose, tube replacement, more meals than budgeted), we are flat broke. So we'll be staying in the Black Hills for at least the summer, if not longer. I was able to hit a job fair for a finance company and got a job offer the next day - although it is pending drug and background check. I should start May 16th and with the little bit we have left and the tax refund check Ohio mailed me we should be okay for gas to get to/from town. Dad is loaning us his minivan which is great.

WJ and Dad have already redone the hitch and found out that we have two propane tanks under the body! It will be great to be "home" for awhile - but I sure do still want to spend a few years in the PNW.

Dad's internet is really slow, but we'll try to pop on with updates! I think Dad is tickled to have a project to play with - as long as we can pay for the parts!
Old 04-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Good to see you're back online. And all this time I thought it was just me that had that kind of luck.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #46
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Good to see you're back online. And all this time I thought it was just me that had that kind of luck.
Thank you! Man, I hope no one has the luck we had! Although, we do feel that there was Someone watching over us - especially with the trailer. That could have gone SO WRONG - it could have gone up the ditch and flipped if there hadn't been so much mud, or, worse, it could have gone traffic-side and caused a major accident.

We've dropped the insurance for awhile - she's not going anywhere until we've gotten a couple paychecks under our belts and caught up on some bills then we can start working on her and take her out a few times. Our nephews are thrilled to go camping in her - the oldest one already called top bunk!
Old 07-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #47
Almost There

Update!

So, after a recent visit with the one and only Dred!! (I admit - I was feeling a little fan-girly!) I realized it had been some time since I posted an update on Wanda.

Poor Wanda. She's currently getting her front-end rebuilt. As WanderingJuggler put it, the people we bought her from didn't half-ass anything - they freaking quarter-assed and eighth-assed it! But he and my Dad are having fun figuring things out and making things work.

I managed to land a decent job and WJ has managed to land a job - but I sure wish the bike shops would call him. That's his life and it frustrates me to see him have to settle. The cat is still not real comfortable around Dad but she's settling in, otherwise. Lots of birds to look at here in the Black Hills!!

I don't know how things will pan out - for now we're going to stay here until we get Wanda all dolled up - and from what I'm seeing, with my limited knowledge, that's going to take some doing! If you happen to come through - drop us a message, we'd love to meet and greet!!

A couple pics - I'll add more to the album, too.

Galvanized metal...and they got it to rust:

Underneath where the fridge sits:

We had finally gotten it from the shop back in March and in the door when WJ got off work was a note - we thought, great, now what? She wrote:

Whether it's for the sake of wanderlust or necessity, I love what you're doing and admire your ambition. May your magic bus live long and prosper. Respectfu Observer, Emily

Old 09-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #48
Almost There

Body work body work body work

Dad and WanderingJuggler have been kicking butt and taking names on the body. Working with small grinder wheels (I'm not sure of the actual name, alas), they've gotten almost all of the paint off. She will hopefully be ready to prime after tomorrow - but we're getting a new door first. The one in her is only 22" I believe - we're going to get a 28" or 30" door.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #49
Almost There

Thumbs up They flew through the body work!!

Then 2 days later? Yesterday, at any rate - I came home to this:

The door will get ordered Monday - our local dealer has to call to confirm the availability. We're getting a Dexter 5050 30"x68" with a 14x27" clear glass window - and it should come with the screen door as well per the Dexter website. That will take 1-2 weeks to come in and it will be such a nice change - the door in it is only 22"!!

The paint is in the garage - a tan/beige and cedar green - our nephews will get to each paint a bumper and will get a small section (the side of the rear bumper) to decorate and put their name on. They're so looking forward to helping!!

So right now Dad and WJ are getting the interior attacked - and so I need to get helping where I can!
Old 01-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #50
Almost There

Update!

So that was frustrating – I had a nice long update and for some reason (and this happens a lot on this forum, is there something I need to change somewhere?) I had to re-log in and while it usually takes me to the post again this time it didn’t. So here we go again.

The exterior is completely finished and she’s beautiful. We had to replace the vent covers last summer due to a MASSIVE hail storm – I seriously had to consider putting our SUV in 4 wheel drive to get the last mile home because the hail was nearly 3 inches deep! That same storm tore our tent where our stuff is stored to shreds so we had to do an emergency dry out of books (thankfully only lost 2 and the rest stayed dry thanks to the wax covering on fruit boxes!) and re-sort of stuff but we only had to throw out a few things. Thank goodness.

WJ had been working jobs which didn’t allow for time off to really focus – no regular schedule and schedules put out quite literally the night before sometimes! He took time off between job 1 and job 2 and he and Dad finished the exterior and completely gutted the interior. I’m really glad because it was pretty nasty in there.

We bought a new fridge, 4.4 cubic feet, that is household not RV but it fits our needs and we won’t be running it while driving, for sure. The RV stove/oven combo also got trashed and we bought a 3-burner propane cooktop (made for boats) and a counter top oven (mounted under the stove, ha!). We also scored $160 in custom countertop for $35 in the scratch/dent section of Menards! As near as we can tell, it was a returned custom order, there was neither scratch nor dent!

The interior is framed but plumbing still needs to be run and small details done (like the built-in shelves) before we can put walls up. I think we’ll end up finishing that after we get on the road again and get settled in the Pacific Northwest.

Remember the alternator that was replaced when we first bought it? Well, if we ever needed more proof that those guys were idiots – this particular system is a postive-ground system and they put in a standard negative ground alternator. So Dad and WJ have figured out how to reconfigure that and upon removal of all the wiring are simply amazed that we did not have any electrical fires on the drive from Ohio to South Dakota!! She’ll get re-wired like a tractor, using a lot of the switches on the side panel by the driver seat! Good luck hot wiring this girl at the ignition! Ha!

Once she’s mechanically sound to drive again I tihnk we’ll be on our way. We appreciate Dad letting us stay here for 2 years (the 2nd year as was a wedding gift to us) but it’s time to go our separate ways – absence may make the heart grow fonder but too much together time has some serious side effects!

Still planning on being in the Pacific Northwest by summer this year, though! I’ll try to get pictures uploaded soon!
Old 01-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Progress is progress, no matter how much life gets in th way.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Wow, after all the problems you had, and still going, I had to reread the whole thread, the lady from the drawing knew something about you guys. Amazing.
Yeah i know that feeling that someone looked out over you, Man that must have been scary.
Best of luck,
later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Ford F750
Engine: 390BB (6.4l)
Rated Cap: 60
True. We just keep chipping away at the stone.
WanderingJuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

The thing that is adding time and more work is finding and having to fix previous peoples screw ups. I agree that that someone watching over us made sure we got here.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Nice, I wish your finished stone will have a nice shape. Don,t worry about the screw-ups, someone before and after you thought the same thing. I design and build aircraft engine test equipment for a living . Whenever I main the field repairing equipment at the customer and I think what idiot designed this POS I have to laugh because it was me.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

I can't disagree with that! I'm sure folks will look back at my work and think what the heck. The biggest thing now is to finish the engine electrical. At least I know not to mix positive and negitive ground bits like the last owners.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:11 AM   #57
Bus Crazy

[QUOTE=

Remember the alternator that was replaced when we first bought it? Well, if we ever needed more proof that those guys were idiots – this particular system is a postive-ground system and they put in a standard negative ground alternator. So Dad and WJ have figured out how to reconfigure that and upon removal of all the wiring are simply amazed that we did not have any electrical fires on the drive from Ohio to South Dakota!! She’ll get re-wired like a tractor, using a lot of the switches on the side panel by the driver seat! Good luck hot wiring this girl at the ignition! Ha!

QUOTE]

How odd! I haven't seen a positive ground electrical system since Mopar went to negative ground in the '50's or some of the British Lucas Electric systems on British cars of the '60's.

What are the clues that tell you it is a positive ground system?
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

Ford still used positive ground on a few of their trucks untill 70 or 71. The bus body, a bluebird 60 pass, is on a 69 ford 750 chassis.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Hit the button to soon. The battery had the positive terminal wired to ground. When we switched the wires on the battery it sparked. Also the wiring diagram for that model year of truck confirmed it is positve ground.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Some further notes; the house side is wired and run separately from the truck side. We have the conversion to negitive ground almost complete. We installed a single post GM altenater and new coil. We are removing the old voltage regulater and rectifier as they are cooked. Same with most of the wiring harness. There were a lot of cooked and melted wires. Not only was I suprised that we didn't have a fire, I'm amazed it would even start and run!
We are goingvto rewire it simple and basic, like a tracter or an old jalopey hot rod. Being a 69 there is not a lot of extras that need to be wired.