Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyring View Post
Why are most of your pictures sideways?
If I take a pic with my phone in the upright position they post sideways. If I take them sideways they post correctly. Idk. Such is life.

CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #82
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
Lights, Tunes and Stove are in

do you have a link to where you purchased your strip lights?
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #83
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
do you have a link to where you purchased your strip lights?
Got two rolls and connected them to run the whole length on one side. I’ll post night photos when the sun goes down. I may buy two more for the other side but I think this will do. They’re 2a 12v with a 120v/12v plug. I plugged them in the inverter, but they’d probably be more efficient if I wired straight to the 12v system. I didn’t want to burn them out on my 40a battery. Not sure how that works. They’re blindingly bring at full power.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Led-Strip-...trip/139195475
Old 06-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #84
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Got two rolls and connected them to run the whole length on one side. I’ll post night photos when the sun goes down. I may buy two more for the other side but I think this will do. They’re 2a 12v with a 120v/12v plug. I plugged them in the inverter, but they’d probably be more efficient if I wired straight to the 12v system. I didn’t want to burn them out on my 40a battery. Not sure how that works. They’re blindingly bring at full power.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Led-Strip-...trip/139195475
thanks - sounds like what I'm looking for
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:38 PM   #85
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
thanks - sounds like what I'm looking for
Here’s how they look at night. I’m ordering two more rolls. (4) total to make it up and down both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
BA20667E-B278-466F-9190-732623CD3A1E.jpg   C3953DFE-27E2-499B-B519-3BF8F3A87833.jpg   36B6ED8A-2821-4EB9-BEEC-92F084F11926.jpg   F536C992-237A-46D3-BAE1-0F6016039E1F.jpg   81F6430D-E072-4FB5-AEAE-F493BDD3947C.jpg  

FE16C5DE-9CB3-4169-B1CC-2DF9A93DA28B.jpg  
Old 06-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #86
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I dunno...
From without, the green ones make it look like there's an alien abduction going down.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #87
Bus Nut

Fan

Got a 12v ceiling fan from Walmart.com it’s really effective for its size.
Attached Thumbnails
DE73B200-D196-4514-B68B-6935B60E166A.jpg  
Old 06-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #88
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
So a 8 yr old neighborhood kid though it would be fun to climb in the roof hatch of the bus and play. After becoming stuck in the locked bus he must have called for help. The other kids took a brick and broke out all the door windows. I got it on tape from across the street. Today I went to Home Depot and got a couple plexiglass panels and cut them to size 14x 36 3/4 and popped them in with the original gaskets. Can’t see through them but they’re not breakable.
Man, what is it about Philly and breaking into buses? I got burgled three times in the five months my bus was parked up in Port Richmond - although the third time they took the seats, ceiling panels and heaters from my junk pile, happily leaving me with about 1/3 as much trash to haul away.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #89
Bus Geek

Quote:
In other news got my Pa title back converted to Motorhome.
Wait, what? How did you do this without converting it first?
Old 06-29-2019, 04:07 PM   #90
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I cut some timber to fit over the top hatch's handle to preclude unauthorized ingress.
Do you have a pic of this? I'm trying to think of a good, cheap way to secure the hatches (I still have the standard bus escape hatches).
Old 06-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Wait, what? How did you do this without converting it first?
Quote:
Man, what is it about Philly and breaking into buses? I got burgled three times in the five months my bus was parked up in Port Richmond - although the third time they took the seats, ceiling panels and heaters from my junk pile, happily leaving me with about 1/3 as much trash to haul away.
I wish someone would take my trash. God knows there was enough of it. I’m still getting rid of plywood from the floor. I saw half a dozen busses with smashed windows at the bus yard by Home Depot in Port Richmond.

In Pa vehicle body type can be changed by checking a box and filing form MV-41
No inspection or additional paperwork if you have not altered the vehicle.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:53 AM   #92
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Do you have a pic of this? I'm trying to think of a good, cheap way to secure the hatches (I still have the standard bus escape hatches).
A good, cheap way to secure would be to screw some eye bolts or footman loops into the underside of the hatch and into the adjacent ribs on all 4 sides, then run a threaded rod or cable through them.

I removed the hinges on my hatch before starting my deck, to allow easier passage to and from the roof.....but still wanted to be able to pull it down tight to keep the rain out. I cut a slot in one end of the hatch (they're hollow) and stuck a piece of wood in there so the handle screws had a solid anchoring point.

Mine was quick and dirty because I was building a new hatch and frame anyways.....you could pretty yours up a lot better than I did.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:26 AM   #93
Bus Geek

Quote:
I wish someone would take my trash. God knows there was enough of it. I’m still getting rid of plywood from the floor. I saw half a dozen busses with smashed windows at the bus yard by Home Depot in Port Richmond.

In Pa vehicle body type can be changed by checking a box and filing form MV-41
No inspection or additional paperwork if you have not altered the vehicle.
Having that bus yard a block from my spot was great - I had to make one trip to my mechanic while I was there with my bus unregistered and uninsured, and the bus yard meant so many buses were always around that nobody was going to look twice at me. I told my mechanic that if I ever decided to give up on my bus I was just going to drive it to the back of that yard and leave it with the hood up; my mechanic was sure it would just end up in that company's fleet (or parted out by them), no questions asked.

When you did the MV-41 form, did you talk to anybody at PennDOT or a title and tag service about changing to motor home? The people I talked to (at PennDOT and my local service) were adamant that I would also have to submit form MV-426B:

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...ms/MV-426B.pdf

... which requires an inspection and documentation of the (certified) mechanic who performed the conversion work (I'm lucky because my local mechanic who works on my car is willing to sign the form on this for my bus). My concern with just sending in MV-41 and changing to motor home was that there might be later consequences from PennDOT for not having submitted MV-426B, or in the event of an accident lawyers from the other side (or from your own insurance company) would discover that your motor home title is not valid.

FWIW my title place has gotten three people's skoolies titled as motor homes, all with MV-426B.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:44 AM   #94
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
A good, cheap way to secure would be to screw some eye bolts or footman loops into the underside of the hatch and into the adjacent ribs on all 4 sides, then run a threaded rod or cable through them.

I removed the hinges on my hatch before starting my deck, to allow easier passage to and from the roof.....but still wanted to be able to pull it down tight to keep the rain out. I cut a slot in one end of the hatch (they're hollow) and stuck a piece of wood in there so the handle screws had a solid anchoring point.

Mine was quick and dirty because I was building a new hatch and frame anyways.....you could pretty yours up a lot better than I did.
Without the hinges, is there enough room on the diagonal to pull the hatch inside, or do you have to take them off and leave them inside? Is there any way to modify the hinges so that the hatch lays flat on the roof instead of sticking up? I really like my hatches and want to keep them since they're not leaking (some previous owner did a hard-core sealing of them which is still holding up).
Old 06-30-2019, 12:35 PM   #95
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Without the hinges, is there enough room on the diagonal to pull the hatch inside, or do you have to take them off and leave them inside? Is there any way to modify the hinges so that the hatch lays flat on the roof instead of sticking up? I really like my hatches and want to keep them since they're not leaking (some previous owner did a hard-core sealing of them which is still holding up).
Yes, the hatch will easily fit through the opening on the diagonal. The hinges are only bolted at the frame......the part that slides into the hatch itself is only held in place by compression.

And I don't know the answer to your 'laying flat' question.......I never tried it because I never planned on keeping the original parts in place. I'd have to think it's doable, though, since the hatch is already designed to move upwards and outwards.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Quote:
Having that bus yard a block from my spot was great - I had to make one trip to my mechanic while I was there with my bus unregistered and uninsured, and the bus yard meant so many buses were always around that nobody was going to look twice at me. I told my mechanic that if I ever decided to give up on my bus I was just going to drive it to the back of that yard and leave it with the hood up; my mechanic was sure it would just end up in that company's fleet (or parted out by them), no questions asked.

When you did the MV-41 form, did you talk to anybody at PennDOT or a title and tag service about changing to motor home? The people I talked to (at PennDOT and my local service) were adamant that I would also have to submit form MV-426B:

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...ms/MV-426B.pdf

... which requires an inspection and documentation of the (certified) mechanic who performed the conversion work (I'm lucky because my local mechanic who works on my car is willing to sign the form on this for my bus). My concern with just sending in MV-41 and changing to motor home was that there might be later consequences from PennDOT for not having submitted MV-426B, or in the event of an accident lawyers from the other side (or from your own insurance company) would discover that your motor home title is not valid.

FWIW my title place has gotten three people's skoolies titled as motor homes, all with MV-426B.
I just happen to do mv work all day as a finance manager. The form says if no changes have been made to the vehicle no mv-426 is required. You’re not removing axles or changing the weight certifications. You are just changing body type to motor home. I use planet auto tags on bustleton Ave. they do tractor trailer registration. You can simply fill out the form and mail it in with your title and the fee. Planet will do your registration and issue a tag same day if you go there. I had to argue with them for an hour and they called 3 people before someone said ok we’ll do it but no guarantees. Title came back as motor home in about 3 weeks. I’ve sent half a dozen people there since to do the same thing. Here’s the specific wording on the form.

“If the vehicle has been modified, such as the addition or removal of axles, or you are requesting a change to the manufacturer weight specifications, an MV-426B must be completed.)”
Old 07-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #97
Bus Geek

Quote:
I just happen to do mv work all day as a finance manager. The form says if no changes have been made to the vehicle no mv-426 is required. You’re not removing axles or changing the weight certifications. You are just changing body type to motor home. I use planet auto tags on bustleton Ave. they do tractor trailer registration. You can simply fill out the form and mail it in with your title and the fee. Planet will do your registration and issue a tag same day if you go there. I had to argue with them for an hour and they called 3 people before someone said ok we’ll do it but no guarantees. Title came back as motor home in about 3 weeks. I’ve sent half a dozen people there since to do the same thing. Here’s the specific wording on the form.

“If the vehicle has been modified, such as the addition or removal of axles, or you are requesting a change to the manufacturer weight specifications, an MV-426B must be completed.)”
Have you had your bus inspected for PA yet?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #98
Bus Nut

Transmission

My bus grew a gear. I thought I had a 4 speed Allison. The other day while driving I was counting and poof!!! 5 gears!! Double checked to be sure. Anyone else have an experience like that?
Old 07-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #99
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
My bus grew a gear. I thought I had a 4 speed Allison. The other day while driving I was counting and poof!!! 5 gears!! Double checked to be sure. Anyone else have an experience like that?
Would anyone admit it if they did?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #100
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Are you sure it wasn't just locking up the converter and/or going into OD?
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cmorganskool, new build, new bus