Old 02-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
A Big Skoolie Welcome! --- Don't know what you paid, but that looks like an outstanding platform to build on. And while I prefer the non "E" version, the 466 is a well proven motor and at 150K barely broken in. And scoring four belly bays is really icing on the cake. Keep the pix coming.

BTW...What tranny does it have?
I paid too much for it $8500... I would have been happy if it had not so much rust.

I don't know what transmission it has... I looked all over it and dont see any clear markings on it. Where is the name plate on those things? Or is it just a stamp like the old cars?
Kylebetaclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You clearly have the budget to spend, and you're 6'6"...
I'd be looking into a roof raisin'. You can do it...
Yeah, I think you are right... I just need to figure out how to do a 3/4 raise... i.e. keep the integrity of the roof where the driver and passengers sit (about 8ft back from front... then bump it up a foot or so for the back 20' where the kitchen, shower and bedroom are.

Shitty thing is I traded my plasma cutter last fall for an annual inspection on my airplane... wish I still had that machine. (got the plasma cutter on trade for a S&W .40 to a shady fellow... seriously who trades a $1000 plasma cutter for a $400 gun?...someone up to no good?) I guess I'll be cutting with a wheel.

A roof raisin' is definitely in the plans for this summer... I'm planning on not attaching anything to the roof (just the three vents through it) and only running minimal electrical in the channels above the windows.

It will be pretty well built out by then, but the videos I watched and some of the commentary here make it seem like a reasonable task (when its a bit warmer out).
Old 02-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Your transmission should have a data plate somewhere on the driver's side. You could have one of several different models with the MD3060 the most likely.

If it is the MD3060 it most likely has 6th gear locked out so you only have one OD gear. The reargears on most school buses are so slow speed that in double OD the propeller shaft would be turning too fast. As a consequence Allison won't unlock the second OD gear.

If you PM your e-mail address and VIN# I can try and get your bus's build sheet
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
A note on the Allison 6th gear (OD) lockout. On another forum I saw a note supposedly by a tranny tech that indicated the only reason Allison would not engage 6th gear was due to the speed rating on school bus tires. But, with an RV title and higher rated tires they would. He also stated that many independent tranny shops could and would do the job either way.

Anybody else familiar with this issue?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
2nd Overdrive

I've seen many stick and staples forums where they have basically the same
drive train as our buses with 5.39 gears and the MD3060 transmission and
all speeds opened up so if a drive shaft over-speed were a problem would it
not happen on their vehicles as well. I think that the bus manufactures just
didn't want to accept liability for a vehicle hauling kits to do over 80mph so
they wrote it into the design parameters for some CYA. Many of the stick and
staples units are approaching and exceeding the GVW of a lot of our buses as well so the idea of braking an excessive amount of weight doesn't fly as
well. My bus has 5.38 gears and a MD3060 as well, where can I find a transmission shop to reprogram my computer to open up the 6th gear?
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Don't know where you are located, but a tranny tech with Allison here in Houston indicated that many big rig trans shops could handle most programming chores. ( I will need to get my TCM flashed once it is installed).

I Googled "Authorized Allison Transmission Repair" and found nine shops in my area. Try the link below...

http://www.allisontransmission.com/sales-service-locator
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Cold Tuesday night on the bus... but Willa did a nice job cutting and drilling all the firing strips for electrical and plumbing... and the two of them worked together (without fighting) to get the insulation in one side.

Major bonus find tonight... I was getting ready to cut the rivets off all the interior sheet metal, but we cut a little inspection window instead... the walls are insulated! everybody told me that school buses aren't insulated, but this must be a "northern bus"... it has insulated walls AND a pony heater (and and engine block heater) sweet... So all we did was 1" insulation cut to fit. Quick and easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0695.jpg (201.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0698.jpg (177.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0701.jpg (190.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0704.jpg (166.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0699.jpg (212.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebetaclark View Post
Cold Tuesday night on the bus... but Willa did a nice job cutting and drilling all the firing strips for electrical and plumbing... and the two of them worked together (without fighting) to get the insulation in one side.

Major bonus find tonight... I was getting ready to cut the rivets off all the interior sheet metal, but we cut a little inspection window instead... the walls are insulated! everybody told me that school buses aren't insulated, but this must be a "northern bus"... it has insulated walls AND a pony heater (and and engine block heater) sweet... So all we did was 1" insulation cut to fit. Quick and easy.
nah, nothing out of the ordinary.
People say that because whats in there really doesn't count as insulation.
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebetaclark View Post
(first person to tell me what that day old cut in the picture looks like wins...)
I say it looks like serious ringworm.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
nah, nothing out of the ordinary.
People say that because whats in there really doesn't count as insulation.
got it... I guess the low expectation I had walking out there to cut off all that metal was a blessing. as a result I thought I had found candy.

As I was hacking around under the bus I was thinking of putting 3" of board insulation under the floor... then putting a thin sheet of Al attached to the bottom of the flanges. Is that done often? Insulating under the metal floor?

Tags
2003, dt466e, international