Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Dt40
What are my options with this radio/PA system

We have remodeled a 1993 Amtran Genesis bus into a party bus. We have a pretty killer sound system in the back for partying, but it has no antenna and is really not practical to run just for listening to the radio when traveling.

There is a radio/pa unit installed above the drivers seat that is still wired for power but we did away with the small speakers it had when remodeled in the rear.

photo.JPG by bhays, on Flickr

It's a radio engineering industries R-320. It's also missing the microphone. I have a few questions.

1) is the microphone it needs just a standard unit or would I have to get one from the original manufacturer?

2) Is this thing mono or stereo? I see it has a balance control so one would assume it's stereo? Does it take just regular car audio speakers or something proprietary?

3) I would like to have a little more modern head unit that could take iPod input, etc. can I upgrade the radio portion and still be able to use the pa function?

Thanks for any help.

bhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: What are my options with this radio/PA system

my system in my thomas is a sterio unit... however, it's in an upper cabinet somewhere just sitting...
Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Bus Geek

I would ditch that and get an inexpensive cb that has a pa.
Then buy an amp and a couple speakers and just plug the ipad/mp3 player into the amp nice and simple and no antenae needed
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Dt40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I would ditch that and get an inexpensive cb that has a pa.
Then buy an amp and a couple speakers and just plug the ipad/mp3 player into the amp nice and simple and no antenae needed
Thing is, I would really like to have an fm tuner available, and I really like the idea of just having the pa interrupt the music when an announcement is needed. If nothing else, I may just get this unit going and get an fm modulator to be able to play ipod on it. I am going to get it out tonight and see what the connections are on the back. I am hoping it's a separate radio and that the speaker output just passes through a separate pa amp. If that's the case I ought to be able to swap in a more modern head unit and keep the rest of the functionality.
bhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Bus Geek

It looks like you have a Part No. 760895

R-375 Radio/PA on 3.75"x12" Panel.

http://www.radioeng.com/product_detail.aspx?prod=430

So swapping another radio out should be simple and getting a mic should be easy also
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote