Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
What did I get myself into?

Hi everyone!. I just purchased my first bus. I've been interested for a while but then after a few adult beverages, and some coercing from friends also partaking in said adult beverages, I called a friend who owns a bus company and purchased a unit he no longer needed. I'm pretty happy and excited to jump into this and hopefully get on the road within a couple of months.

I ended with a 2002 Thomas FS 65 with a 5.9 Cummins. Being from MA I'm very surprised at how clean it is and it only has 98k. I plan on doing a full conversion with a queen bed, 2 double bunks, shower/toilet, kitchen, couches and table if i can fit it. Id like to be able to travel with 6 adults comfortably. I've looked around on here and a lot of you have great ideas that I'll try to use.

I do have a couple of questions-

Has anyone left the floor down and just framed over it?
I pulled the seats (unbolted from the sides, then broke them off of the floor mounts) any issue leaving those and just putting the insulation over it?
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but has anyone left the factory heating unit in and still framed the floor?
Does anyone have a factory wiring reference they could point me to?

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as i move forward. Thanks for reading

*** sorry for the sideways pictures. can't figure out how to change that yet
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9829.jpg   IMG_9852.jpg   IMG_9855.jpg   IMG_9865.jpg  

Dryn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins ISB
Nice bus! We are in the process of purchasing and designing our FS65 here in Newfoundland and I like the look of the bus a lot from a framing, wiring, plumbing accessibility scenario. Our whole bus is screwed together with Phillips metal screws so we're planning to remove the ply floor and all side and ceiling panels because I've heard of busses collecting moisture in these areas and leading to rust... Either way you go I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!
AlwaysSunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryn87 View Post
Hi everyone!. I just purchased my first bus. I've been interested for a while but then after a few adult beverages, and some coercing from friends also partaking in said adult beverages, I called a friend who owns a bus company and purchased a unit he no longer needed. I'm pretty happy and excited to jump into this and hopefully get on the road within a couple of months.

I ended with a 2002 Thomas FS 65 with a 5.9 Cummins. Being from MA I'm very surprised at how clean it is and it only has 98k. I plan on doing a full conversion with a queen bed, 2 double bunks, shower/toilet, kitchen, couches and table if i can fit it. Id like to be able to travel with 6 adults comfortably. I've looked around on here and a lot of you have great ideas that I'll try to use.

I do have a couple of questions-

Has anyone left the floor down and just framed over it?
I pulled the seats (unbolted from the sides, then broke them off of the floor mounts) any issue leaving those and just putting the insulation over it?
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but has anyone left the factory heating unit in and still framed the floor?
Does anyone have a factory wiring reference they could point me to?

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as i move forward. Thanks for reading

*** sorry for the sideways pictures. can't figure out how to change that yet
Good luck. I am in Westfield if you are local. Will pitch in any time you need an unskilled and highly opinionated set of hands lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
I left the original flooring down and then covered with 3/4" plywood and then Pergo flooring. I'm in Florida and don't plan on traveling to cold climates.

Welcome!!!

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
Living full-time on my skoolie.
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I just started pulling the floors today. Mine only has rubber then its metal. Have you found different?
Old 03-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunny View Post
Nice bus! We are in the process of purchasing and designing our FS65 here in Newfoundland and I like the look of the bus a lot from a framing, wiring, plumbing accessibility scenario. Our whole bus is screwed together with Phillips metal screws so we're planning to remove the ply floor and all side and ceiling panels because I've heard of busses collecting moisture in these areas and leading to rust... Either way you go I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!
I was finally able to take the bus to the dump/ scrap yard to empty it. Since the was done I started to pull the floors. I only have a layer of rubber then metal. No plywood. Is yours different?
Old 03-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Turning photos 90 degrees or 180 degrees is easily done with a program called Paint, which is apparently quite widespread -- I think it comes with many Microsoft-related computers.
See if you have it on your machine.

Probably best to remove the rubber-and-plywood floor, since there is most likely water under that rubber by now, and rot and swelling will ensue.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Small Update

After an hour at the RMV counter i was able to register the bus with bus plates. Short version of the story is in mass if the body type is described as a bus on the title it must registered as a bus, whether it has 1 seat or 40. I has to go away for work for a little while so I finally got back at it today. I made it to the dump/scrap yard to empty it, the had aspirations on starting to frame the floor. I got side tracked and just wanted to see how hard it would be to get the rubber up with no intention on pulling the entire thing. Curiosity killed the cat and now I'm going to pull up all the rubber, mostly to try to get rid of the school bus smell.

Couple of questions -

Self tapping screws or Nut and Bolt? My thought is once the plywood is on top the screws can't back out so the effort of nut and bolt may not be worth it.

** So it's a Thomas Bus. It sat for a few days at a time without being started since i brought it home. Now when I start it I have a constancy buzzing from where all of the "Thomas Controls" are. I have hydraulic brakes, e-brake isn't engaged (also a different alarm) all emergency levers are closed and i believe its a different alarm for those since I hear a different alarm when i open emergency doors. I'm honestly not even sure where to begin to try to figure this out.

Any help is appreciated

[IMG]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/ddegrace87/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>[/IMG]

**Goal for tomorrow is to figure out how to post pics correctly.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Pictures are oriented right on my computer. When I upload them to the forum they turn sideways. Ill figure it out eventually. I started pulling rubber today. Ive only got a corner up so far but it actually seems dry and in pretty good shape.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
After an hour at the RMV counter i was able to register the bus with bus plates. Short version of the story is in mass if the body type is described as a bus on the title it must registered as a bus, whether it has 1 seat or 40. I has to go away for work for a little while so I finally got back at it today. I made it to the dump/scrap yard to empty it, the had aspirations on starting to frame the floor. I got side tracked and just wanted to see how hard it would be to get the rubber up with no intention on pulling the entire thing. Curiosity killed the cat and now I'm going to pull up all the rubber, mostly to try to get rid of the school bus smell.

Couple of questions -

Self tapping screws or Nut and Bolt? My thought is once the plywood is on top the screws can't back out so the effort of nut and bolt may not be worth it.

** So it's a Thomas Bus. It sat for a few days at a time without being started since i brought it home. Now when I start it I have a constancy buzzing from where all of the "Thomas Controls" are. I have hydraulic brakes, e-brake isn't engaged (also a different alarm) all emergency levers are closed and i believe its a different alarm for those since I hear a different alarm when i open emergency doors. I'm honestly not even sure where to begin to try to figure this out.

Any help is appreciated

[IMG]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/ddegrace87/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>[/IMG]

**Goal for tomorrow is to figure out how to post pics correctly.
Did you get into how to re-title it as an RV?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #11

Dryn87

I'm also from mass. Marlboro. I'm also interested in converting a skoolie to a toy hauler/rv. Where are you in mass. if you need a hand or something. let me know. I'd love to check out your ride. Swap some ideas. Looks good.

Carl
captcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
Did you get into how to re-title it as an RV?

Nope I just registered it as a bus
Old 03-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Nope I just registered it as a bus
Cool. Do they charge per 1000 lbs to reg it?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

I honestly don't know. It cost me $275 to register. That included tax title and plate.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I honestly don't know. It cost me $275 to register. That included tax title and plate.
I answered my own question. It's 80 or 7 per seat... But 80 at minimum.
Then the title fee.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #16

Northampton MA checking in here, also willing to help if you ever need another set of hands.

FYI, to get mines registered as an RV, I got it tagged and titled in Vermont.

You DO NOT need to bring the bus up there and you DO NOT need to have a Vermont license or address.. you can even do the whole process in the mail if you want to, bunch have skoolies from across the country have done it through the mail; I did it in person since its only a couple hours away from us.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ion-15292.html
wajidsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #17

hey NJsurf73, how did you get your bus insured??
wajidsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajidsshadow View Post
hey NJsurf73, how did you get your bus insured??
i will let you know. I am buying it next week, so I will be looking for it Monday. going to try progressive first : commercial vehicle for private use
we will see.