Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Widening a skoolie?

I have seen many examples of skoolies that have been stretched vertically, but, none to make them wider.

Somewhere I read that max legal width is somewhere around 100 inches. I also read that more insulation is better. But, other than skinning over windows, I don't see any examples of building out.

Seems to me that bolting 2x4s to the outside vertically, maybe 16" o.c. and sheathing it in maybe 3/8 plywood would give you a nice clean flat side which allows you to put windows anywhere you please, rub strips be damned.

You could have a very good r value without giving up interior width. You could skin it over in either aluminum or fiberglass. Or if you have the $$$$ you could do it in teak!

If there are examples of this, I'd like to see them.

One other advantage is that if you built these walls sturdy enough along with an equally strong ceiling, you could could tie the bus roof to the new roof with a handful of pieces of threaded rod and accomplish a rather drama free roof raising.

I guess you could just hack the roof off like trx did, but, there's something about having that tried and tested gubmint certified roof inplace when you roll this topheavy monstrosity into the ditch.

pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

This is wading into a morass...there are 50 States with 50 different sets of regulations, 49 of which we can get to by land. There is only one standard that keeps you legal in all of the lower 48 on every road (if you don't exceed a posted weight rating) and that's 96" wide. The practical reality is that there are so many things being built at 102" wide (boats, buses, motohomes, travel trailers, utility trailes, horse trailers, commercial trucks, and more) that it seems like almost no state goes out of their way to enforce the width laws (unless you're really grossly over). Can you see turning a bunch of 8.5' wide motorhomes away from your 8' max state highways and losing all that tourist money? That said if you go wider than 8' you will not be 100% legal 100% of the time. I think this is a situation where you have to figure out where you operate the most, if the states where you do have 8' max widths and if you'll be on back roads where it makes a difference if it makes any difference at all. On federally funded highways (those that are truck routes generally speaking) 102" is the norm (and mandated) so you're going to get by on any freeway, 4-lane highway, or major 2-lane road. That itty bitty narrow back road in Vermont might be a different matter.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I agree with Les, 102" is the standard on federally funded roads, their are going to be some exceptions but they are going to be local issues like height or weight restrictions for bridges and overpasses, just be aware that you can run into restricted areas and be prepaired to adapt to the situation at hand.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I think the best way to create more interior living space in these things, is to design and build a slide-out....that's how the big boys do it, and if I had the engineering skills I might try it.... But I don't have the engineering skills to raise the roof, so a slide-out is way beyond my means....

I have seen one bus that they skinned over the outside with sheetmetal... it looked kind of funny actually, only thing I like about it was the smooth sides...read that as no rub rails...!! But it sill looked kind of silly....

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
I agree with Les, 102" is the standard on federally funded roads, their are going to be some exceptions but they are going to be local issues like height or weight restrictions for bridges and overpasses, just be aware that you can run into restricted areas and be prepaired to adapt to the situation at hand.
How about this photo from the Needles Highway near Custer, South Dakota? Yes, this is a fullsize charter bus and yes, that tunnel is as tight as it looks.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Wow! talking about tight

[quote=the_experience03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "paul iossi":f4b60
How about this photo from the Needles Highway near Custer, South Dakota? Yes, this is a fullsize charter bus and yes, that tunnel is as tight as it looks.

[/quote:f4b60]
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Yep, Les explains it very well. Personally, I like the idea. Just keep it down to 3"
total addition on each side.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Bus Nut

hey mr mod, I just noticed I started this thread in the wrong place. Would you kindly move it to conversion discussion or maybe the wild ass pipe dream forum, if you got one of those.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote