Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #71
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Re: Wildcat Lodge

When you say cut off switch are you talking about those battery selector switches?
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #72
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
When you say cut off switch are you talking about those battery selector switches?
On the coach battery I was planning a disconnect switch on the panel. The batteries are enclosed in the cabinet, so I needed a disconnect mounted where it can be reached.

On the chassis battery I have a disconnect right on the battery. It's a screw type. These batteries are in a box under the chassis, so this disconnect was the easiest to use given their relative access.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 97853.gif (32.8 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg imagemagic.jpg (13.4 KB, 312 views)
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #73
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
If you'll be visiting campgrounds, why not wire for 50 amp service, you can always connect to a 30 amp supply, but the other way around running too much could pop the main.

Smitty
I agree. If you have two a/c units, an electric h/w heater, and various other loads, it would be best to wire up for 50 amp service. Otherwise you run one a/c unit along with your h/w heater and you run the risk of exceeding 30 amps right there. Like Smitty said, you can always use an adapter to plug into 30 amp service (or 15 amp if that's all that is available), you just need to limit what appliances you use all at once.

You guys are making me think - I have already purchased a panel for 30 amp service, but I'm thinking that I can only run one A/C unit. I know I did the math before I purchased, but oh well. One A/C unit may work, but I may want to change out the panel to a 50 amp one given my lack of insulation Thanks for the feedback - all the thoughts and any others are much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #74
Skoolie

At the risk of changing the conversation from my electrical question posted previously, here are some progress pics from this afternoon priming the cabinetry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint1.JPG (44.9 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg paint2.JPG (44.8 KB, 290 views)
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #75
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

The cutoff switches are a good idea. If you are not full-timing, when you winterize the bus, you can turn off the cutoff switch to the batteries to avoid parasitic drain from killing your batteries. It's still a good idea to give them a maintenance charge every month during storage due to self-drain, but the cut off keeps the things like clocks, active circuitry, and such from having a constant drain.

In my unit, I am not going to run the AC charger/converter to the chassis batteries. I rarely camp for longer than a week in one spot, so the chassis batteries will get charged when I drive to the next spot. Most often I will head out on Friday and come back home Sunday. I just wish I would have bought the 120 amp isolator that a local shop had on sale for $45 last week. Now they are back up to $80. They do have the 60 (or is it 80) amp isolators on sale for $28 this week. I would need to check to see how big my alternator is. You definately want an isolator rated at least as high as your alternators max output. As for the isolator from your AC charger, you could get by with the smaller rated one as it would handle the 45 amp current just fine. Of course, if you start your engine fairly often you could do without the second isolator as well. If worse comes to worse and you drain the chassis battery, you just need to jump across the isolator terminals to 'jump start' your chassis off of the coach batteries to get it started again.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #76
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pied Typer
Check the switch you are planning on using for your coach battery disconnect, most of the switches of that style don't have a constant duty rating high enough for a 1000W inverter...
The cutoff switch has a 100amp continuous/1000 amp surge capacity so that should cover 1,200 watts of juice. I didn't do the calculation until after the purchase. I'd rather be lucky than good anytime.

We decided that since the 30amp power center was already purchased and we only have one a/c currently, we will go with the 30 amp service. If it doesn't get cold enough inside in August camping in the Ozarks, we will have to regroup. We are putting carpet on the ceiling and tinting the windows 5% so that will help. Maybe I will add some ceramic beads to the roof paint when it warms up and we finish the exterior. I also am only going to use one isolator from the alternator. I picked up the 140amp noco isolator from overstock.com for $35 delivered.

Here's the revised wiring schematic. Thanks for all the feedback and any more if you have it. That's the benefit of this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring schematic.jpg (79.9 KB, 489 views)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

If it isn't already, I suggest painting everything above the top of the windows white (or silver). This will greatly ease the load on the A/C. Also, insulate the heck out of everything...and don't overlook keeping engine heat out!

Smitty is right about the wiring: size it for 50 amps. You can always upgrade later. I didn't (I have 30A), I wish I had, and the next one will.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #78
Skoolie

You guys talked me into it. With several calls, barters and trades I am going to do a 50 amp panel. Here are some pics of the begninning of the electrical rough in and our updated schematic for wiring the bus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bus Plans - systems (2.18.10) - electrial.jpg (64.6 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg electrical 5.JPG (56.3 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg electrical 4.JPG (42.0 KB, 440 views)
Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #79
Skoolie

Here are some pics of the cabinets/benches back in the bus after a couple of days painting in the shop. With the cold weather it took a bit longer to dry. We have covered the finished floor with paper to keep the wear down while we are in and out so much. We have also added more paneling to face the bunks and on the walls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rough-in 3.JPG (39.5 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg rough-in 4.JPG (46.7 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg rough-in 5.JPG (41.9 KB, 439 views)
Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #80
Skoolie

My old man snuck out of work early today and finished up a couple of the counter tops and the dinette tables. He's an ok attorney and a pretty good carpenter and is stoked about finally having a school bus as a project. Here's some of his mighty fine handywork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg counters3.JPG (52.8 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg counters2.JPG (51.1 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg counters1.JPG (46.6 KB, 369 views)