Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #161
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Re: Wildcat Lodge

more light cover pics. And pictures of repairing the crotch rot in the back door. We cut out the bad spot and fabbed up a piece, welded and then began to bondo.

Attached Thumbnails
light covers 5.JPG   backdoor 7.JPG   backdoor 6.JPG  

Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #162
Skoolie

it started raining - so we re-installed the door to keep things dry. We have sanding and probably two more coats of bondo left until she's done (the back door that is)
Attached Thumbnails
backdoor 10.JPG   backdoor 9.JPG   backdoor 8.JPG  
Old 04-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #163
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

With all the welding and smoothing and body work you are doing, I am a bit surprised you didnt weld in the light covers at the top and smooth them in as well. Great job on the back door, can't wait to see what it looks like when its done.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #164
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Who's the crazy old guy messing with your plumbing in the first pic?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #165
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
With all the welding and smoothing and body work you are doing, I am a bit surprised you didnt weld in the light covers at the top and smooth them in as well. Great job on the back door, can't wait to see what it looks like when its done.
Thanks - we thought we wanted to weld/smooth at first, but then after the cabinets covered every access panel up on the inside, we decided to leave some form of access on the outside. Plus we kinda like the look.

Quote:
Who's the crazy old guy messing with your plumbing in the first pic?
The old crazy guy is our good buddy Doug who has been to some level of degree involved in all of our projects going back 30 years when we renovated a home built in 1898. He oozes common sense so we love it when he stops by.

Not very picture worthy, but today we are hanging curtain rods and other interior accessory items which have been specified by the female members of the family.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #166
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Do you know if your tanks were abs or polypropylene? If so, you're in luck and your fix should work. If they were made with polyethylene, you are eventually going to have problems. I actually used to weld and fabricate plastic tanks of all sorts. Polyethylene is extremely difficult, almost impossible, to get anything to adhere to. Welding it is the only option for a permanent seal. You are correct, the welder you had was junk. A proper plastic welder has a tube to feed the plastic rod through (it's pretty much impossible to get a solid plastic weld without a filler rod), and then a tube below that with a HOT air blast to evenly melt both the rod and the material you are welding. For welding a tank like that, I would have also used pure nitrogen for my air supply. I am really hoping your tanks are not polyethylene!!

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #167
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat
Thanks - we thought we wanted to weld/smooth at first, but then after the cabinets covered every access panel up on the inside, we decided to leave some form of access on the outside. Plus we kinda like the look.
...and that makes perfect sense. I have been fighting with previously installed cabinets and stuff while trying to get access to the windows to cover them up properly. Basically had to remove everything just to get the window out from behind the refridgerator. My new interior will take more of this into account.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #168
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Do you know if your tanks were abs or polypropylene? If so, you're in luck and your fix should work. If they were made with polyethylene, you are eventually going to have problems. I actually used to weld and fabricate plastic tanks of all sorts. Polyethylene is extremely difficult, almost impossible, to get anything to adhere to. Welding it is the only option for a permanent seal. You are correct, the welder you had was junk. A proper plastic welder has a tube to feed the plastic rod through (it's pretty much impossible to get a solid plastic weld without a filler rod), and then a tube below that with a HOT air blast to evenly melt both the rod and the material you are welding. For welding a tank like that, I would have also used pure nitrogen for my air supply. I am really hoping your tanks are not polyethylene!!
Thanks JakeC for the information - I will look into the type of plastic. I hope we are ok, but if not, then unfortunately we'll have to replace. So far it is holding okay. I will keep you posted.

We have mostly finished the rear door. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
backdoor 13.JPG   backdoor 12.JPG   backdoor 11.JPG  
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #169
Skoolie

We also fabbed up a new cover for all the wiring going from the cabinet to the chase in the ceiling. With all the romex, we had to more than double the size of the original chase.
Attached Thumbnails
electrical 17.JPG   electrical 16.JPG  
Old 04-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #170
Skoolie

We finished out the upper cabinet and the back door. You can see we were able to re-install the fans and the sun shade which should help going down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
backdoor 14.JPG   overhead 14.JPG   overhead 13.JPG  
Old 04-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #171
Skoolie

Another design change encompassed the stereo. I pulled an older all in one theater system from my basement and it came with satellite speakers which should work nice, but the sub woofer was quite large. We modified the front cabinet to handle the speaker. Who knows how it will sound, but we couldn't think of anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
bass 2.JPG   bass 1.JPG  
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #172
Skoolie

Here's one I forgot to post. We installed a dead bolt on the side door. The door was too thin to install the keyhole on the outside, but this allows us to at least secure it from the inside. The biggest benefit from this site is learning from others which is where this idea came from (but I forgot where I saw it first). We will try to key the back door which is a bit thicker.
Attached Thumbnails
side door.JPG  
Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #173
Skoolie

Smitty - we've been up and down that ladder about a gazillion times, so we though we should memorialize it

We started the exterior this weekend with a good wash of the bus. We borrowed a 3500 psi washer with sand injector. We used the get the rough stuff off the rub rails which are a pain to sand. The rest of the bus simply got high pressure water and will get the wrath of a couple of random orbital sanders over the next couple of days. Action shots as follows:
Attached Thumbnails
paint5.JPG   paint4.JPG   paint3.JPG  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #174
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Why did you hang a picture of a ladder on the rear door??

Looks great!

Smitty
I just spit water on my cat. Wiseass.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #175
Skoolie

We're officially a RV now. The Deputy Fire Marshall came by and inspected the bus for $60. We then took his report, original plate and the title to the county clerk and for a $35 fee they issued a new recreational vehicle title and plate. Here's a picture of the inspection report checklist for those interested (albeit a bit fuzzy).
Attached Thumbnails
inspection.JPG  
Old 04-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #176
Bus Nut

Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

I know what you mean regarding the I-phone distorting the pictures. I thought it was just mine sometimes.
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #177
Skoolie

We've been doing a bunch of sanding. Where we have gotten down to bare metal we are putting a bit of primer back on before we shoot the whole bus for the first time. Here are some progress pics.
Attached Thumbnails
paint8.JPG   paint7.JPG   paint6.JPG  
Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #178
Skoolie

We also spent a little time on the inside by hooking up the satellite speakers under the overhead cabinet and an indoor HD TV antenna. Going down the road the antenna sits in the overhead cabinet and when stopped it will rest on the steering wheel. With the closest tv tower currently being 45 miles away, we still are able to pick up about 10 HD channels. The rear speakers we mounted on the overhead cabinets in the kitchen. By the way the bass speaker in the cabinet with cloth doors works surprisingly well.
Attached Thumbnails
overhead 17.JPG   overhead 16.JPG   overhead 15.JPG  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #179
Skoolie

Smitty - we are looking into external antennas, but haven't made up our minds. The current one is a temporary fix.

Here are some more action shots of filling, sanding, and priming. We tinted the primer (applied with a roller) which approximates the final color. When we get it all done we will re-evaluate to see if we still like it. We were thinking of a chocloate color band on the bottom for a two tone look.
Attached Thumbnails
paint11.JPG   paint10.JPG   paint9.JPG  
Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #180
Skoolie

one more action shot
Attached Thumbnails