Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Bus shirt

My mom brought this bus shirt back from Guatemala for me. Bluebird has their South American factory there out of Antigua I think.

Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Xtevan's bus

congrads on nailing a big time job down xman looks good!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #23
Skoolie

Yeah, very nice, Xtevan. Getting the paint out of the way has to be a nice feeling. What's next?
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #24
Almost There

Getting the A/C units on the roof is pretty high on the priority list, It will make the interior work more pleasant as summer sets in(Houston humidity). I'm going to check out the Habitat Restore Saturday morning, I'm looking for a pair of old closet doors and base cabinets. I needed to create templates for the outer and inner roof profiles last weekend. If I had got the outer roof profile done , I would have cut out the ribs for the roof deck here at the house.

I did get a chance to crawl under the bus and think about black water tank placement. Thinking through where the toilet & shower will go, while disturbing my under body storage as little as possible.

Heard some great music last night at Old Settlers, would have been great to walk back to the bus and call it a night rather driving back into town in the rain.

Xtevan
Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #25
Almost There

I was not planning on getting out to the ranch to work on the bus, but I ended hauling my folk's riding lawn mower out there for them Sunday afternoon. I struggled in the coastal prairie winds to make a template for the roof contour, took a couple of tries to get close.

I should be able to knock out a deck rib or two on the band saw here to test fit next trip. I am planning to shoot more white paint below the windows, lots of poor coverage in the groves of the side rails and areas of orange peel textures arhg...

Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #26
Skoolie

Having lived in the Clear Lake at one point for 10 yrs. I understand wanting to get AC installed. That's actually high on our list as well. I'm glad you got this bus. When I saw it for sale, it looked like a good find. Looking good, Xtevan. Keep the updates and pics coming.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #27
Almost There

Hit the ranch Saturday- looks like I'm done painting for a while - the kissing bugs were not satisfied with kissing and were swarming all over the bus so very little painting was possible. Started to mix the hammer tone silver in HF detail spray gun- didn't mix well looked like it was reacting. It does not like acetone- reread the directions- thin with Xylene. I could not find Xylene in Columbus,TX on a Sunday so I bought two more rattle cans to finish the wheels/bumpers. Fought with starting the generator for a bit will need to completely clean the out tank and replace the fuel filter next time. Would go for a few seconds with starting fluid.

Things are coming together anyhow, I cut the hole for the front AC with a demolition saw and got the AC in place while retaining all of my fingers!!

I need to fab up a radiused shim to allow the inside control boxes to sit flat below the roof curve so that the inside cover will slide over the switch shafts and attach properly

Sunday afternoon- masking removed mirrors, & antenna replaced

Photographs better than it looks close up. Still just a bit of black graffiti on the windows and a fair amount of white over spray.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #28
Almost There

After a couple of false starts not related to the bus itself, I drove the bus into Austin last night. I'm on a deadline to get things ready for Flip Side this weekend & Kerrville the next two weekends. I need to get the generator to start and finish hooking up the AC. I'm fabing 2 18" long radiused pieces to get the interior AC part to sit flush so the pots/switches will line up. I bought a 3 door wall mount cabinet at habitat last Friday that looks like it will work(30tx17d just under the windows in height but not as deep as kitchen or bath base cabinet), I'm thinking about buying a few more and stacking a pair of them to make a temporary wall between living and sleeping spaces.

When the compressor tipped over it took out a gallon oil container so I'll be cleaning before I can start anything tonight. I didn't notice last night, It had slowly seeped from the back door to the engine cover

Hoping the neighbors don't have a fit before I leave Thursday morning. Oh, there is about 3" of clearance between the house gutter and ladder on the bus!

Xtevan
Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #29
Almost There

Don't worry about taking someone's spot if they are really 'oldtimers' they bought their stakes and were in line for Landrush yesterday(the sunday before). The friend I usually camp with was third in line, at this point I'm gonna head over Monday and hope to find a place for the bus in the meadow as folk are leaving. This will be the first time in 19 years I've missed the 'big' weekend. The last two weekends are a little less crowded unless a big name is booked. I attended two evenings of the Old Settlers Festival at Camp Ben McCullough across from the Salt Lick in April, will take the bus and camp next year. The cooler weather compared to Kerrville was great, though sometimes the best part of Kerrville is afternoon soaks in the Medina/Guadalupe.

Where is Paleface Park?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:00 AM   #30
Almost There

Threw together a temporary interior on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and most of Thursday last week. Bought the 5 cabinets and bar sink at Habitat for Humanity. Camped at Flipside the regional Burning man event for the weekend. Chatted with a short bus owner from Austin that had a great little rig.

Then I moved the bus over to Kerrville on Monday for the music festival. I think there were 4 other skoolies in the meadow and another one in the RV hookup area.

Living Area from the front- The lower cabinet opens to the living area. The upper cabinet opens to the sleeping area. I've relocated that inverter on the floor into the cabinets.

Living area from rear

Rear Sleeping Area