Old 09-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #51
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
RIP Xtevan's bus

Short version of the story: I'm safe at home in Austin. Neither my travel companions nor I were physically injured but while I was on my way to the Black Rock Desert in Nevada for Burning Man, my Bluebird bus pulling a trailer burned to the ground fully loaded. The fire report cites the axle bearing seizing on the rented trailer as the cause of the fire.

Long version, We were just north of Needles, CA on Hwy 95N, in the upper Sonoran desert about an hour and half south of Las Vegas. Was really enjoying the new driver's seat and matching copilot seat set up (which I didn't take a single picture of ) when I noticed the flames from the side of the trailer in the side mirror. I stopped the bus, got off and found that the art car & generators' fuel tanks which were on the trailer had caught on fire. I ran back into the bus for tools and got Deborah & John off of the bus. I got back to rear of the bus to find the flames were now blowing over the hitch and onto the back of the bus. The flames were too big to get close enough to get the trailer disconnected now, and everything on trailer and bus burned (our stuff and the things we were hauling for other people who had flown there) :'( .

The 911 call didn't go smoothly because our call was picked up by Nevada and they were concerned that we were still in California...that's a whole separate story, but by the time any fire dept help got there it was way too late. People traveling along the highway who stopped were as supportive as they could be (unlike the California Highway Patrol officer!), especially a man named Jake from Boulder City, who eventually drove us into Las Vegas to spend the night.

Some young marines saw John's tatoos (he got out with only his pants, boots, and cell phone & wallet in the pockets), gifted us clean Tshirts and a clean hoodie. Allen came to our rescue long distance by arranging for a hotel room and flights back to Austin the next day. (BTW, it is possible to fly without an ID, as my wallet was on the bus with my last purchases from the Kingman AZ Home Depot. I was talking with a another skoolie converter and was distracted after giving him the bus tour. The TSA has procedures for that, you just have to allow a lot of extra time to be processed as if you might be a terrorist. At least at the Las Vegas airport, they were very sympathetic and helpful.)

So we didn't make it to Burning Man--we had our own personal "burn." I knew we were on an adventure, but this was certainly far beyond anything I could have imagined. The fire happened Monday around 5:45 p.m Pacific Time. We were back in Austin at 5 p.m. on Tuesday. Literally only moments before we saw the fire, we had been enjoying the spectacular view and talking about what we were feeling grateful for. I think all of us have a pretty good perspective on what's important--we're grateful to have walked away, and we do understand the relative unimportance of material possessions, but it is still very difficult to watch so many of your things go up in flames. The emotional and financial hit is pretty hard for all of us. I think we're doing OK, but the traumatic stress response continues, including in some ways that are surprising me (particularly physiologically).

I was really bummed to leave the art car remains, I spent two days welding up the twelve foot tall guitar neck/head & don't have picture that does it justice(was waiting to get the gas jets in).

For now, we're taking care of related business tasks, prioritizing as best we can. I got to the DMV Wednesday for a replacement drivers license, have ordered new credit/debit cards, & am now working the insurance hoops.
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Re: Xtevan's bus

Wow Glad no one was physically injured.

Thanks for sharing the backstory. I hope you can recoup some $ through the rental co's insurance.

Best of luck with everything.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996

Brutal. Hard to know what to say when a person loses so much...just good that you're all okay. And glad to see you've got plans on another bus...take care!
Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #54
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Siezed axle bearing on rented trailer......mmmmmm? When the trailer owner tries to make you pay for the trailer give him a bill for the bus and all the possessions lost.
Sorry about the loss, especially during a trip. What a huge bummer. If you feel any withdrawals you are welcome to come down to Wimberley and stretch the legs on my bus.
S
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #55
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Fallen to the dark side

Hope you guys are doing well, I have super busy with my class work since my last misadventure.

I found this one on eBay and to my utter amazement stole this flood damaged BlueBird Wanderlodge for $25 over the minimum bid. The seller said he had a lot of calls when I talked with him so I set up a bid and tried to forget about it. Exact same length as my TC2000 was. Fingers crossed & knocking on wood I hope to have her running before spring.

I looked real close at pair of Crowns the same week- really want to do a Steam punked Ray-Gun Gothic Crown conversion some day... Even with the towing bill I have less than half of what I paid for my TC2000 in this one, though I suspect I will $pend a lot more on this one. The girlfriend is ecstatic after seeing it this weekend.

Xtevan
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #56
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

CONGRATS MAN i thought you had been brokenhearted about the fire accident and given up on skoolies
so glad to hear the good news
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Is it me, or is your new bus trying to do a hand stand? ^.^
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #58
Skoolie

It looks like its hooked up to a wrecker (notice the light green arm extended from the rear). But I thought the same thing when I first saw it.
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #59
Bus Nut

I missed the arm... But, I was thinking, "Damn thats a strong bus!"

Missed the arm, but I did see the backside of the AC in the window, that others missed, in another thread. ^.^
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

great to hear you are back after the fire... WOW nice bus too! Congrats!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote