Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

YEAH! bus

Howdy Ya'll,

We are an amateur mountain bike team (Team YEAH!) out of Austin and we decided camping on the ground and taking several cars to events all over the state was for the birds - so we bought a bus.

1997 International 3800 T444E 47 passenger w/ 200,000+ miles on her and stiff suspension, hydraulic brakes. Don't worry about your T444E Cadillackid - our diesel is purring and has a clean bill of health from its service checkup with plenty of life left. We picked the bus up in Lubbock, Texas last Friday and drove it 410 miles (8 hours) to Austin, Texas. Aside from tossing a AC compressor belt on I20, it was a great trip. The weather was perfect and we didn't need the AC on the way home.

The bus visually looks rust free, body damage free, has new front drive tires and decent rears. We did notice a slight oil leak around the pan - but from what I've read, it seems normal for these buses, as long as it isn't out of control. It sat overnight (after our drive) and we didn't notice any spots on the ground.

This is a camper for us - we plan on having enough room to sleep 8+, room to work on the bikes at the races, and a place to sit and chat on the way to and from. No plumbing, nothing fancy.

Here is the idea (don't laugh at my terrible Sketchup skills).

In Lubbock - apart to depart.

Dirty dirty!

Pulling seats, day 2.

Seats out, end of day 2.

YEAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Welcome!! Always nice to see fellow Texans on here! Keep the pictures coming and good luck!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats a fine looking carpenter(crown)!!! A/C belts fly off... sometimes its the compressor other thimes they just break,.. par for the course on busses..

even if the compressor is shot, the TM-16 compressors those use are still made and are everywhere...

good to see a T-444E at 200k+.. the mechanics gave mine a clean bill at 144k im just apprehensive is all... you know that engineer who over-thinks everything,, ..

enjoy your fine lookin machine!!! I love austin... have done some nice projects there!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Congrats team YEAH! How fun! Plenty of room for keeping it simple. Besides showering is over rated. lol

I use magnesium oil to dispell any body odor and it works amazingI wash my feets and others when needed, but haven't showered in years! (works well for me because i am hypersensative to chlorine and any bath cleaners soaps shampoos )

enough about me, lets see some bike vids!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome (More Tejanos!) --- Just keep it weird.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
bike camper.

I have about the same. A camper/bus, a place to sleep and eat. Nothing fancy, but do have a sink and an outside shower. You can fit LOADS of bikes in a bus!
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
I have about the same. A camper/bus, a place to sleep and eat. Nothing fancy, but do have a sink and an outside shower. You can fit LOADS of bikes in a bus!
Awesome! Have any pictures of it? We are still in the design stage and are looking for ideas. We are all meeting at the bus this week to start cleaning and laying out design.
YEAH is offline   Reply With Quote