Old 12-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Yet another "is this a good deal" thread

Well, it's looking like this is going to be my bus. She's expensive, but it's what I want. I'm insistent upon 84+ passengers, RE, 78" headroom, lowish miles, and no rust. I'm unable to find anything remotely close to the bus listed in the same price range, let alone cheaper. The PublicSurplus buses Dragonpop mentioned are FEs and I really want an RE. M1031, I'd love to wait for your auction, but I'll be 4k miles away and my move will be over by then.

I'd love an 8.3 Cummins instead of the Cat 3126, but I've been unable to find one. I've found a few that *claim* to have the 8.3 but actually have the 5.9. Also, I've been given some decent advice that I should pick an engine that my mechanic's comfortable with, since I'm not doing the work myself. I'm moving to a port town with tons of Cat powered boats in the harbor, so I'm optimistic on that front.
selfdetermined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78

For actually moving lots of stuff, The RE layout is going to basically give you the one way to get stuff in and out. FE will give you a rear door. Some buses even have side doors and if you get a wheel chair model you get a nice lift as well.
IDK where you are at all but if you like Florida buses, I'm sure this guy will come off the price at least some-https://orlando.craightmlslist.org/bfd/4790023473.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, the moving aspect is a one-time shot so I figured I'd make do with the one side door (and I suppose front door). I agree that a FE or conventional would be easier, but I really don't want either of those after I'm done moving.

I reached out to that guy in FL previously. If it weren't low headroom (and if it didn't have the dreaded Cat 3116) I'd be all over it.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E (250h.p.)
Rated Cap: 81

Well, since everybody's being negative I'll be positive: It looks nice! Yeah, the price is a little high but not outrageous. And yes, the parts for the engine are more expensive than others but more likely than not it will do well for you. Where's it located? Also curious to know what the hours are. If it's in the 6000 range that's about normal. Any more pictures? That one picture makes it look immaculate but pictures underneath, engine bay, stairwell will give you a better idea.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:22 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

More pics, as requested. It really does look to be in excellent condition. Beware of the massive file sizes:
http://screencast.com/t/h5qYc9gobU
http://screencast.com/t/KQhnISzfdc
http://screencast.com/t/7uYg00HxRMT

My only underbody picture is positively awful. Small, bad lighting, narrow viewing angle. Just terrible. Should have the hours tomorrow. Seller's also going to throw it on a dyno for me to make sure everything's in good shape for the drive home. And they're removing the decals. One less thing for me to do, I guess.

Oh, and it's in Arizona right now.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdetermined
Yeah, the moving aspect is a one-time shot so I figured I'd make do with the one side door (and I suppose front door). I agree that a FE or conventional would be easier, but I really don't want either of those after I'm done moving.

I reached out to that guy in FL previously. If it weren't low headroom (and if it didn't have the dreaded Cat 3116) I'd be all over it.
I'm just a cheapskate and try to steer everyone in that direction. I live off less than 15k a year For the asking price of that bus, I'd want basement storage. Or a real coach bus, but I digress.
I'm jealous of the extra headroom.
But I did literally just beg everyone on here to buy the mvp in maryland for 1800 bucks. It was a 99 with 140k on it.
I still think a bit of patience and "determination" would be best but I'm just an opinionated internet entity...
How far from Arizona are you?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdetermined
More pics, as requested. It really does look to be in excellent condition. Beware of the massive file sizes:
http://screencast.com/t/h5qYc9gobU
http://screencast.com/t/KQhnISzfdc
http://screencast.com/t/7uYg00HxRMT

My only underbody picture is positively awful. Small, bad lighting, narrow viewing angle. Just terrible. Should have the hours tomorrow. Seller's also going to throw it on a dyno for me to make sure everything's in good shape for the drive home. And they're removing the decals. One less thing for me to do, I guess.

Oh, and it's in Arizona right now.
I got mine in AZ, underside looks like it's never been on even a dirt road! (From Peoria where it never snows)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71

Wow, she's a beauty!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
Bus Geek

This thread makes me wonder if buying clean used buses at auction may be a lucrative business.
I'm semi-unemployed. Would buses be worth more to the average buyer if they were washed and had the seats pulled out?
Would it be viable to buy buses and sell them already stripped? I actually like tearing into old buses and going to pick them up from the auction is sort of a fun road trip. Plus I live in Florida and folks really like our buses, even though many of our schools are among the most under-funded in the nation.
Maybe I can fund my bus build by reselling auction buses?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
This thread makes me wonder if buying clean used buses at auction may be a lucrative business.
Only one way to find out!