Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

Year: 1986
Rated Cap: 71
ZzZz Hunter

Just purchased a skool bus for conversion, but some work has already been done for me. However I am starting this tread with some of the very little information i know about the bus.
After using the VIN decoder i located on this site and some information i got from inside the bus here is what i know.

Any other information you guys may have on this type of bus or where i could locate the information would be great.

I will post some pictures soon of the ZzZz Hunter!

Bluebird Body 8/ 1987
International S1700

Manufacturer International/Navistar
Make International
Model Year 1987
Model 1753
Engine Manufacturer International/Navistar
Engine Series DT420
Engine Capacity V-8 6.9L
Fuel Type Diesel
Vehicle Type Bus
Cab Type Conventional Bus
Chassis 4X2 DSL FBC
Drive Line Type 4X2
Brake System Hydraulic
GVWR Class 26,001 - 33,000lbs.
Country US Produced Incomplete Bus
Assy. Plant Springfield, Ohio

buswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #2

Re: ZzZz Hunter

I guess the only other info i was looking for was the type of transmission i had in this beast, but i called international and they gave me this info. A545 Tranny
So my other questions would be where the best place is to order the parts i am going to need to service this engine and transmission on my own. Any help with a list of parts ie filters, fluids etc would be great.
This bus was sitting for 2 years on someones hunting property, but starts right up and runs great, but does need some service done. 136,000miles are on her at the moment also.

The conversion you see was made by the previous owners for their hunting camp. Im not exactly going to be using it for this purpose, but the stove, heater, fridge/freezer, and generator will come in handy for what im trying to accomplish with this beast!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0201.JPG   IMG_0202.JPG   IMG_0205.JPG  
Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #3

Sounds good on the NAPA situation. I will check with them. Should i bring in part numbers etc, or would just knowing the model / make / year and VIN of the bus allow them to get me the right parts??

The stove and heater are both LP. I already took that pink **** out cause i thought the same thing, however i havent had to turn the heater on yet.. However thanks for looking out for me!!!

Got myself an AC unit, some new carpet, and some other goodies for the bus also.. more pictures to come soon while i start working on this beast!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53

I like it the way they have it. I've thought about getting a non-traveling bus to stick in the back somewhere for visiting guests. And lots of seating is valuable. At Hunting Island there was a cloudburst and we had 21 people in my bus. We cooked for them and poured beer into them. That and the AC made it comfortable. Busses attract people. We took my bus to my wife's sisters wedding--she's 12 years younger--and we had the bus filled with young people hanging out the whole weekend. It's a social club everywhere I go.

I'm confused on the motor. I don't know if that vin decoder is very good. It says DT420 (which I've never heard of) and 6.9, which never came with a turbo, that I know of.