Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Advertising on Site

Domains and hosting charges are getting more expensive. I have been paying for this site entirely out of my own pocket since Nov of 2003 now and it is starting to add up. I hope that everyone can excuse an add here or there to help pay towards things. Those familiar with add networks know that you make pennies and it will not cover the cost of even hosting the site but right now I can use that little bit.

I am going to try some ads for a while and if things are not working out I will take them away again. I hope that this will motivate me to watch over the site a little more carefully, keep things up to date, and improve or add features that you want.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Advertising on Site

Does that mean it's time yet again for all of us to make the plea to you to allow us to contribute to the site?

*edit* On another site I am a member of members get a "red star" next to their name for contributing $20 while advertisers can pimp their goods for a fee that results in a "yellow star." There is additional content available to those with red stars, but I don't think that is necessary. It simply allows members to make a contribution and gives a visual reminder to those that visit the site that people are committed enough to pledge financially.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Well I'll think about it. I recently got myself a vinyl cutter and maybe it can be dual purpose, if you want to donate a certain amount I will send you some skoolie.net graphics for your bus and that leads to getting the word out about the site when people see your bus.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Let me know when the skoolie.net Paypal account is up and running. We can worry about "prizes" later.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Let me know when the skoolie.net Paypal account is up and running. We can worry about "prizes" later.
Ditto!...we don't need no stinkin' prizes...this site is the grand prize, and we've already won!

(I contribute to another board also - I'm satisfied just knowing I'm helping keep a great resource available, I couldn't care less about recognition.)
Old 09-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Ditto!...we don't need no stinkin' prizes...this site is the grand prize, and we've already won!

(I contribute to another board also - I'm satisfied just knowing I'm helping keep a great resource available, I couldn't care less about recognition.)
I have to agree, I would be more than happy to donate to support this site.

The new ads are fairly unobtrusive so far. The ads I hate most are the ones that make it so that when you move your mouse over words in the text, ads pop up. The corolla forum I used to be a member of (and donated to) implemented those, which immediately increased the load time of every page. After a month of tolerating that, I left and haven't looked back. I hope you don't end up at the point where you consider those types of ads. I would hate to lose this valuable resource.

Again, please let us know how we can donate and help keep this wonderful resource available.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6
Rated Cap: 72

Steve,
I would also be more than happy to contribute. This site has given me tons of data, ideas, and experience I could never have found just on my own. I know you didn't ask, but like all these others, I am offering.
Please let us know how we can help.
Lee
Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I'm in. Post an address or maybe a PayPal link or send a PM, I would be happy to help out.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go
I am a moderator on http://www.tinboats.net and the owner there has a good set up that even allows for a few giveaways.Members looking for business can become a sponsor and get a clickable banner ad for a small fee $15 a month.It has worked really well and the forum is doing really well.Just an idea that may work here.
Interesting website you have there Ben.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott
I'm in. Post an address or maybe a PayPal link or send a PM, I would be happy to help out.
+1 on that. Paypal or paper mail address, I'll post some greenbacks.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Domains and hosting charges are getting more expensive. I have been paying for this site entirely out of my own pocket since Nov of 2003 now and it is starting to add up. I hope that everyone can excuse an add here or there to help pay towards things. Those familiar with add networks know that you make pennies and it will not cover the cost of even hosting the site but right now I can use that little bit.

I am going to try some ads for a while and if things are not working out I will take them away again. I hope that this will motivate me to watch over the site a little more carefully, keep things up to date, and improve or add features that you want.
I've got a backup server that I host some sites on for free. No one who uses it has complained yet (kinda hard to complain for free I guess). PM me if you're interested.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #12

I know nothing about how much it costs monthly in charges to run this site But I would rather help with the cost than see ads.

Also if people start sending checks it might have some tax/bookkeeping issues.
I would like to send some monthly support, please give us a mailing address.
thanks for your efforts.
deadbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9

still after 3 threads i didnt see the adds
but then again coffee is brewing and i had a late night
yeah i agree i would send sum fliff ur way
and i would love a skoolie.net sticker also
i type like a bad haiku poet
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Even though I do more travel in my van. I do like coming here over those van sites simply because everyone here is more on the cheap side of things. I'd have no problem sending a little to help cover the cost to keep the site running. I was paying into another site (unrelated) but stopped cause I really wasn't getting much information out of that site anymore and the ads where all over even with a paid membership.

Steve do you get any money if someone purchases something from the store link?
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466

So what's the scoop steve? Sounds like a lot of members are more than willing to help out, myself included. Paypal account woulf be a handy option. Just let us know. Great site, don't want to lose it. Your doing all the work running it. let us help with the finances a little.