Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Continual Site Changes

Okay, first with the Gmail ban, which obliterated my account along with every post I'd made for the previous 10-15 years (without warning). I was left with no choice but to get an email address I rarely used for anything else, and eventually had to give up when the provider began charging for their accounts, as I am not about to pay monthly for something I hardly use.

Now, we have to login by email address (once again, without warning) which leaves me having to remember an email address I no longer have access to and will likely not be able to remember easily. From what I see, these ever-changing 'security measures' do far more to create problems for legitimate users than they do to stop spam. SERIOUSLY? When is this BS going to stop? It's getting old fast.

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Are you sure theres a ban on gmail? There are a large number (majority) of free email services, blocking just gmail is silly from a sysadmin perspective. Any malicious actor could simply use any one of the hundreds of free emails services that aren't gmail.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Okay, first with the Gmail ban, which obliterated my account along with every post I'd made for the previous 10-15 years (without warning). I was left with no choice but to get an email address I rarely used for anything else, and eventually had to give up when the provider began charging for their accounts, as I am not about to pay monthly for something I hardly use.

Now, we have to login by email address (once again, without warning) which leaves me having to remember an email address I no longer have access to and will likely not be able to remember easily. From what I see, these ever-changing 'security measures' do far more to create problems for legitimate users than they do to stop spam. SERIOUSLY? When is this BS going to stop? It's getting old fast.

I'm sorry you are having trouble. There was a lot of warning... and there is still an alert posted at the top of the page - we know these changes may be disruptive and so there were a number of posts about this as well as an iten in the newsletter: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f12/lo...tml#post302226

Regarding gmail bans... there are none although there may have been years ago before we switched to this software (not sure about that as it was before my time).

If you need your e-mail address updated and you are able to login into your account you can make that change yourself here: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/profil...o=editpassword

If you need your e-mail address updated and can't login, hit the contact link at the bottom of the page and we can help you.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I've gotten no warning of any of these changes. And I was told a couple years ago that there was indeed a ban on Gmail addresses, which was what resulted in my original account being deleted. Granted, I have not been as active on this site as I was in previous years, but somebody needs to make a plan and stick to it. First there was a ban on Gmail that destroyed my original account, now I'm being told there is no ban. Seriously? I'm sure you can understand this from my perspective.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the biggest one that got me is that almost my whole DEV RANDOM thread was DESIIMATED because they just DELETED THE POSTS which had photobucket links.. a PB ban was put in place for reasons i dont understand.. as im a $$PAYING$$ member of PB and so **MY** pics werent grayed out.. I didnt just lose the pics out of those posts I lost all the words too so I cant even go and just put correct copied of the pics in...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I was hoping this was all for security reasons, get rid of spammers, or whatnot, but now I see you are spreading me around like Facebook does. Hmmm.

I left this site for a while due to annoying trolls. One who wanted to call my bus suggestions "ghetto;" another who just wanted to whine at me for saying I feel healthier after changing my diet.

Then I heard a thing on the radio about AI bots on web forums and whatnot. Suddenly the first guy made sense! He was always online, always commenting, and all comments were simple and parrot-like (we had a friend in Hawai'i who would listen to Rush Limbaugh and come and drink with us and ramble on about stuff she knew nothing about - we called her a parrot!), and I had this internal image of him as a cross between the Simpsons' "The Comicbook Guy" and "Barney" (who hangs out with Homer at Moe's Bar) mixed with a computer nerd. Once on another site's forum, two guys were commenting on every thread. Many comments. One was like: "we have made 10,000 comments just today." I got a hint then it was an AI bot.

The other guy, well, sorry you feel bad that I want to share what works for me, without preaching to others, but don't preach at me!

Anyway, the weather has not been bus-fixin' worthy lately, so what could I say anyway?

One other thing, though.

♪♫ ♪♫ You don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger ♪♫ And don' mess 'round with Cadillackid. ♪♫ ♪♫
Seriously. We need him here.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:42 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
♪♫ ♪♫ You don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger ♪♫ And don' mess 'round with Cadillackid. ♪♫ ♪♫
Seriously. We need him here.

I'll second that emotion!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote