Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International 3900FC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Kicked out of Skoolie

I know the SPAM has gotten horrible, and the MOD's have to do what they have to do to help the site, but it was very frustrating after being on the site for months talking to everyone about buses and then when I finally buy my bus, I couldn't login and share it with the fellow skoolies. I couldn't login, it said that the username was unrecognized. I tried the lost password link, the username and email address combination does not exist.......NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I originally registered with my gmail account and I can only assume that because of that I was booted out. I used the contact link to email the moderators and that was days ago and still haven't gotten a response. So I had to go and and find my other email address (the one provided by my internet provider that I don't use) and had to reregister......now I just have to get my post reviewed and passed for the first couple of times....its all good. Regardless, I do appreciate the job the moderators do!!

Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Kicked out of Skoolie

Guess what????????
Your HERE
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Well.......... Why we mods would like to take the credit for cleaning skoolie.net. It wasn't us...... We're restricted to disapproving messages/post but we cannot delete accounts. If we could it would have never gotten as bad as it did.......... Steve (the administrator) got busy with life and kinda let skoolie slide for a few months, Now we have 2 sheriffs in town Steve and Sara..... Both have been working on skoolie.net, all memberships are being scanned...... If you do have a gmail account and are registered on skoolie then by all means get another to use on skoolie.net....... NOW YOU KNOW! This is now the first time this has come up and if you insist on keeping gmail fine, but you will not be able to stay with skoolie.net. It's not much to ask for all that you get in return from skoolie.net ..........
Thanks for your patience and understanding.....
GE
Old 06-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International 3900FC
Engine: DT466

No hard feelings, just frustrated for a week trying to get it all worked out....glad to be back though!!
Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward
No hard feelings, just frustrated for a week trying to get it all worked out....glad to be back though!!
Welcome aboard........ We're glad you're here...........
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Now we have 2 sheriffs in town Steve and Sara..... Both have been working on skoolie.net, all memberships are being scanned...... If you do have a gmail account and are registered on skoolie then by all means get another to use on skoolie.net....... NOW YOU KNOW! This is now the first time this has come up and if you insist on keeping gmail fine, but you will not be able to stay with skoolie.net. It's not much to ask for all that you get in return from skoolie.net ..........
Thanks for your patience and understanding.....
GE
I realize that spam is just short of impossible to deal with but deleting all accounts that have a gmail address is ridiculous.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I switched my email addy back over to my Juno account. Which I only keep for spam. I've checked it maybe once a year since I switched over to gmail. My Bosses expect a gmail account, which is why I have one in the first place, so wee little start-up internet provider email addresses make them twitch (don't ask me why, they only needed my email for the initial application anyhow).

I agree with 100MPG, that's mean to dump all the gmail addressed accounts.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

I too was dumped from the site without warning and have requested multiple times to the mods if there is any chance my build posts could be reinstated and no reply yet. I have one of the most thorough and complex builds on the site and it's a shame that info is lost to the community.

Please help if you can or at least answer the question: Can my build posts and pictures be put back up?

GlennC
Name of my thread:
"There and back again... Our future adventure transport."
GlennC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Bus Geek

since the rest of the posts still show up, I know there are ways to see "archived" postings...people do it all the time..

I don't know how to do it...you could always send a letter to Hussein and have his staff repost it since they have it saved

J/K good luck with this and it can be "found" I just have no idea how to do it
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC
I too was dumped from the site...
Glenn, I didn't realize that your thread was dropped as well. That is truly a shame. I still have a vague image imprinted in my mind of your beautiful masterpiece of Pex plumbing!

I'm realizing now that I really need to start making my own personal copies of the remaining great threads, since this site seems to be somewhat unstable.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Rated Cap: 72

I too am a Gmail user and so far I've not been removed. If I am... well so long guys and girls. You'll find me over at skoolieforum.com where the admins are not lazy and actually have a clue on how to admin a simple forum.
There is absolutely no logical reason as to why skoolie.net has gotten out of hand and that deleting gmail account holders is an acceptable solution. It really comes down to laziness and not really wanting to solve the issues. Which is a shame as I'm sure Steve gave a crap back in the day but times have changed and so here we are today.

Sorry for the rant guys... I'm really not as pissed off about the issue as my post may sound.

PS, please everyone, back up your own build threads and posts. Do not count on Skoolie.net to keep your intellectual thoughts safe. This could all be gone tomorrow.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Skoolie

Hi, all -

GreyEagle has done a pretty good job of illustrating the reasons that some of you are experiencing frustration. I have tried to address everyone individually that has voiced complaints, but apparently a post should be made to all concerned as well. First off, it was never our intention to "weed out" the devoted members of skoolie.net or their posts. I realize that people have worked extremely hard on their contributions to this site, and we appreciate your time, effort and participation. So, please accept my apologies if you were one of the parties affected (unintentionally) by the major clean-up of spam / hackers / etc.

Second (the bad news): If your posts / photos / contributions were deleted, they are gone forever. I have tried every possible way to reinstate past posts, but this system is designed in such a way (as most boards are) to disallow posts that are deleted from being reposted. (GlennC: I believe I replied to your e-mail via private message, so hopefully this clears things up.)

Third: I understand everyone's frustrations with the e-mail provider limitations. I use Gmail almost exclusively, so I feel your pain. However, the major e-mail providers (such as Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail) do absolutely nothing to prevemt spammers signing up for innumerable fake e-mail accounts and then spamming websites, blogs, etc. Until these providers put some measure in place to circumvent spammers / hackers from obtaining hundreds of e-mail address in an hour, it is in this site's best interest (and in yours) to discontinue the use of these e-mail addresses during registration to this site.

All of the moderators and administrators worked hard to deleted hundreds of thousands of fake users and spam posts from this board. It took days to go page-by-page to make sure we tried to retain as many members and their posts as possible. Unfortunately, within the thousands of pages we looked through, some errors were made. I apologize for this! We spent the time because we know how important this board is to the current members and to potential members who seek advice for their projects. Hopefully we can keep things in check from now on and make sure this board continues to be a place where people can share their projects and look for advice.

Thanks!

-= Sara
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: Freightliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
(GlennC: I believe I replied to your e-mail via private message, so hopefully this clears things up.)-= Sara
Sara, indeed you replied with an apology and I thank you for that, but this is the first time my question was definitively answered: that my posts are gone forever. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a way to filter for real users before the mass delete. Length of time on the forum, replies across many other's threads, personal thread with lots of photos, an e-mail requesting a response before the delete, SOMETHING. I'm very disappointed and really haven't the time to rebuild my entire conversion thread so, please, because my former build thread makes no sense without my posts, you should probably go ahead and delete the entire thing.
So long folks!
GlennC
GlennC is offline   Reply With Quote