Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #1

Looking to hire help, where can I post?

Hi, we are almost done with our conversion just having trouble finalizing the electrical wiring and running the propane lines from the propane tank (bus runs on propane) to the stove and water heater. Have reached out to companies, contractors etc and after a few bad experiences with some people off craigslist (because it seems licensed contractors don't want to work on conversions) we are so frustrated and really need help.

Are there any conversion companies in California, even AZ that would be able to help us? Or a conversion expert contractor with proven track record?

Thank you so much for any leads!

MaisonBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisonBus View Post
Hi, we are almost done with our conversion just having trouble finalizing the electrical wiring and running the propane lines from the propane tank (bus runs on propane) to the stove and water heater. Have reached out to companies, contractors etc and after a few bad experiences with some people off craigslist (because it seems licensed contractors don't want to work on conversions) we are so frustrated and really need help.

Are there any conversion companies in California, even AZ that would be able to help us? Or a conversion expert contractor with proven track record?

Thank you so much for any leads!
I'd suggest checking with your nearest trailer sales place and ask for a reference - I know there are at least two qualified technicians in my area that are willing to make house calls to service the furnace in our trailers - I got their name that way - problem being I'm a couple 1000 miles from you, but the idea might work for you too
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
That is one aspect of converting a bus into a Maison that tends to trip up a lot of folks, not being able to do the work needed by yourself.
While many components that go into a build don't necessarily require licensed contractors or mechanics to install, hiring the right individual to do the work correctly the first time can be a challenge.

You are doing the right thing in seeking out a qualified plumber to install your propane lines due to the critical nature of this work being potentially life or death!

Sorry I can't help but best of luck to you.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
I have a couple of questions...

Does your helper need to be a licensed plumber or electrician? Will your coach conversion need to pass some sort of inspection?

The reason that I ask is that I have run into a number of similar problems - especially with my plumbing. I have taken that attitude that, come hell or high water, I will learn how to do the work myself. It's not brain surgery. There are dozens of YouTube videos that will teach you how to handle all sorts of tasks.

I'm in the southern Kentucky/northern Tennessee area. There are no such inspections in either state. I can do anything I want for both plumbing and electrical. But one problem I had is that when I bought my Prevost, Tennessee wanted to charge sales tax on what they said the coach was worth. They do that here and it doesn't matter what I tell them I paid for it, even I can prove it. I only paid $6,000 for the bus but Tennessee said that it was worth $50,000. They wanted a whopping $4,875 for sales tax. That would actually total my Prevost. So, I got around that by starting an LLC in Montana and then registering the coach in the name of the LLC. I now have a Montana tag on the bus. It cost me a grand total of $800.

If you are having problems getting the bus to pass inspection, you might consider talking to the folks in Montana.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenYouKnowIt View Post

Does your helper need to be a licensed plumber or electrician? Will your coach conversion need to pass some sort of inspection?

The reason that I ask is that I have run into a number of similar problems - especially with my plumbing. I have taken that attitude that, come hell or high water, I will learn how to do the work myself. It's not brain surgery. There are dozens of YouTube videos that will teach you how to handle all sorts of tasks.

I'm in the southern Kentucky/northern Tennessee area. There are no such inspections in either state. I can do anything I want for both plumbing and electrical. But one problem I had is that when I bought my Prevost, Tennessee wanted to charge sales tax on what they said the coach was worth. They do that here and it doesn't matter what I tell them I paid for it, even I can prove it. I only paid $6,000 for the bus but Tennessee said that it was worth $50,000. They wanted a whopping $4,875 for sales tax. That would actually total my Prevost. So, I got around that by starting an LLC in Montana and then registering the coach in the name of the LLC. I now have a Montana tag on the bus. It cost me a grand total of $800.

If you are having problems getting the bus to pass inspection, you might consider talking to the folks in Montana.
Will Mt. issue registrations to non residents?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Will Mt. issue registrations to non residents?
They do not issue a license plate for a vehicle to a non-resident. The system works this way. You start a small business on paper - an LLC in Montana. Anyone in the world can open a business there so, this works for anyone and everyone and in every place in the world. That's what LLCs are - Limited Liability Companies. Then when you license your vehicle, your Montana LLC stands in as the owner of the vehicle.

I even ran into another unexpected plus to this system. My Prevost is a 1998. Because it's over ten years old, my license plate says: "Perm" on it meaning that it is forever. Montana does not require buses or RVs older than ten years old to have to renew every year. There will be a small fee to renew the LLC each year - $49 I think - but it's less than I would pay to renew my vehicle license in TN.

If I ever decide to sell my Prevost, all I have to do is sell the LLC to the buyer. The bus will keep the same license and nothing has to change.

This begs the question: "Why Montana?"

Tennessee has a whopping 9.75% sales tax. Even Kentucky has 6% sales tax but Montana does not have any sales tax.

Tennessee has no vehicle inspections except in Davidson County (Nashville) and Shelby County. (Memphis) In those two counties, it's only an emissions test. I'm not completely certain if Kentucky does have some sort of rather rigid safety inspections. I stated in my previous post that I thought they didn't. But I could be wrong. Montana has no vehicle inspection of any kind. So if they're not interested in brake linings, mufflers, cracked windows and such, they're certainly not going to worry over the plumbing in the bathroom sink. So this is yet another plus to having an LLC in Montana.

Finally, I live within a mile of the TN/KY state line. I have six acres about 35 miles up into KY and I'm planning on moving there. When I take the bus, I will not have to re-license it in KY.

I'm putting the vital information here for anyone that might want to do this like I did.

All Day $49 Montana Reg Agent LLC
1001 S Main St STE 49
Kalispell, MT 59901
T: 406-552-0004
E: info@49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com
W: www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com
Old 05-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
They do not issue a license plate for a vehicle to a non-resident. The system works this way. You start a small business on paper - an LLC in Montana. Anyone in the world can open a business there so, this works for anyone and everyone and in every place in the world. That's what LLCs are - Limited Liability Companies. Then when you license your vehicle, your Montana LLC stands in as the owner of the vehicle.

I even ran into another unexpected plus to this system. My Prevost is a 1998. Because it's over ten years old, my license plate says: "Perm" on it meaning that it is forever. Montana does not require buses or RVs older than ten years old to have to renew every year. There will be a small fee to renew the LLC each year - $49 I think - but it's less than I would pay to renew my vehicle license in TN.

If I ever decide to sell my Prevost, all I have to do is sell the LLC to the buyer. The bus will keep the same license and nothing has to change.

This begs the question: "Why Montana?"

Tennessee has a whopping 9.75% sales tax. Even Kentucky has 6% sales tax but Montana does not have any sales tax.

Tennessee has no vehicle inspections except in Davidson County (Nashville) and Shelby County. (Memphis) In those two counties, it's only an emissions test. I'm not completely certain if Kentucky does have some sort of rather rigid safety inspections. I stated in my previous post that I thought they didn't. But I could be wrong. Montana has no vehicle inspection of any kind. So if they're not interested in brake linings, mufflers, cracked windows and such, they're certainly not going to worry over the plumbing in the bathroom sink. So this is yet another plus to having an LLC in Montana.

Finally, I live within a mile of the TN/KY state line. I have six acres about 35 miles up into KY and I'm planning on moving there. When I take the bus, I will not have to re-license it in KY.

I'm putting the vital information here for anyone that might want to do this like I did.

All Day $49 Montana Reg Agent LLC
1001 S Main St STE 49
Kalispell, MT 59901
T: 406-552-0004
E: info@49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com
W: www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com
Hey, can I use your LLC, I'll pay half the yearly fee? Now to check if my plate is available there. There's lots of states with license plates that look really cool and then some that just suck. I wouldn't mind having a BIG SKY plate on my bus. Colo plates are cool.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
have you found your help?

I am likely going to be in the sun valley area in a few days....

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:

It’s been quite a while since this thread came about so I hope you’re still around… but were you able to register your bus online/by mail, or did you have to go there in person? I already applied for my LLC but I’m located across the country from Montana and am hoping to avoid a cross-country trip without plates 😂
Thanks!
Katicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:55 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
I hate to be a killjoy, but the Montana LLC registration scheme isn't the perfect solution that much of the internet makes it out to be. Here's a brief, older article from Jalopnik that summarizes some of the issues. At best, your insurance company may look askance at a bus registered in a state where you have (essentially) no ties. Remember that any half-truths told when signing up for insurance are grounds for policy cancellation after an accident. At worst, your home state probably considers the Montana method to be tax evasion.

Don't get me wrong - as a Montanan, I'd be happy for your contribution to our state coffers. I've just seen a lot of hype about this scheme that don't mention the potential downsides.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:37 PM   #11

Yes I agree, but it isn’t a farce for me as I actually run a business and my husband and I are planning on spending the majority of our time in Montana and eventually buying land. But thanks for the information!
Old 02-16-2023, 10:39 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Ah, ok! Sounds like my warning doesn't really apply to you then. It also sounds like you've done your research, so forgive me if anything I say is repetitive.

The two main hurdles to registering in MT are obtaining an address and having somebody who can legally represent you do your registration paperwork at the DMV. The LLC scheme that people often use is to set up a bogus LLC that owns the vehicle, then hire a company to act as the LLCs registered agent in the state. The registered agent provides a physical address and personally takes all the paperwork down to the county courthouse for you. I don't think this is a great plan for the reasons outlined in the article above. It sounds like your case is a bit special and the pitfalls in the article may not apply to you, but there may still be a better way forward...

First off, if you have a Montana LLC that is an actual money-making business, don't assign one of these car registration schemers as your registered agent. Or at least consult an attorney before doing so. IIRC, a 'registered agent' can have a good deal of power over an LLC and I wouldn't trust my business to some random guy on the internet. I don't suspect you were going to do this, but figured it would be best to say it just in case

Do you have family or good friends here where you'll spend a good deal of time until you find your land? That could solve the address problem, with extra bonus points if you have the USPS forward your mail to that address.

As for getting license plates before driving cross country (presumably from your current home to Montana), Missoula county had a fantastic "title by email" program at the beginning of the pandemic that I used several times to register vehicles from afar (I travel a lot for work). Alas, they killed that off and I have been unable to find any other easy way to do regular title/registration work without physically going down to the local courthouse.

Depending on your circumstances, there's one avenue I can think of that may help. This assumes that you've already figured out the address problem. You may be able to email the local county DMV and get them to issue you a temporary license plate. I have done this several times, including when I bought my bus. Describe your situation, tell them that you intend to title and register your vehicle in their county once you arrive in MT, and they'll email you a paper license plate that's good for 30 days. If your fail to license the vehicle within 30 days, then you get a tiny penalty of like $10 when you eventually do license it.

I hope that helps. Feel free to pm me if you'd like.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:11 AM   #13

Just realized I read this and completely forgot to reply. Thank you SO MUCH for this info. It would seem getting a temporary registration to get me out there would be the best fit. Appreciate you tons!
Old 02-23-2023, 10:55 AM   #14
Bus Nut

No problem. I hope the trip goes well and let me be the first to welcome you to the state. If anyone asks how you like MT, please tell them that the winters are bitterly cold, the summers are hot and smoky, the whole place smells like cow manure, and the people are unfriendly

Tags
contractor, hire, work