Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Map showing member locations for get togethers?

It would be nice to figure good locations for get toethers or caravans that would be fair to all. Maybe a few large ones and several regional ones. I think it would make things a lot easier and convenient. I think it would be nice to meet people we converse with and everyone could learn a lot, newbies and veteran Skoolies. We could all get some new ideas. For instance it would be way easier to explain installing relays etc. instead of trying to do it by writing it down. Same with safety issues like tie rods, bushings, kingpins etc. Things like that. I think it would be great for safety of the vehicles we haul family members in. I've been doing mechanics, ac/dc electrical and remodeling all my life but don't know much about solar. I could learn a lot there. There is just so much that could be learned by so many and I know that there are many like myself that would enjoy making our lifestyle a whole lot better. In my opinion this is the bet site ever but we could make it even better and probably crease membership. Safety is number one. We could even have a swap meet too. There is so much to be learned by so many. Oh, we could sit around the campfire and just bs too. My idea would be a great pig roast. Sounds like fun to me. Any interest?

Old 04-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Bus Geek

long weekends in the bus are right around 250/275 miles for us, that's at 45 mph average

it takes an hour or two just to get to major roads

our go to spots are within 250 of where we live, the 8 hr mad runs to the beach are real close to not fun, would be nice to run for 5 hrs and glamp and finish in morning, that though knocks off 4 days of vacation just going to a spot, there have been a couple
get together's and more will follow I am sure

I am planning one probably in Boone NC or Arrowhead CG in Uwharrie NF this late summer/fall

also looking at Lake Lure area

time will tell....

post up ideas, hardest thing is getting people who are done enough to go, so much skoolie work to do between trips

we have been lucky and build for a few months and then Glamp...come back take bus apart and repeat
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
For us we plan to head south for the winters, start with Quartzsite for boon docking, that would be a perfect place to meet
gbstewart
Old 04-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Skoolie

It's the former event manager in me... Can't help it.

Just throwing this out for consideration, and this is based on a few assumptions:
-Many are interested in meeting fellow schoolies.
-Most do not have extensive cash flows to:
--travel long distances
--pay for site fees for an extended trip.
--take a time off from work
(Those who are cash flush, don't usually convert skoolies do they)

So — keeping the costs down would likely be the one single factor that would allow more to consider attending, right?

I am just reiterating someone else's idea here — how many skoolies own property and have the space, and are willing to have a half dozen (or so) friends visit for a few days?

How many could accommodate an overnighter if they were traveling a long distance?

It seems that these meet-ups would be most successful if there were several regional ones, vs just a couple continental ones. If there were one willing host in each state/province or there-abouts, they could post the date that is best for them on the calender, with a bus/headcount limit if necessary- and any hookups or boondocking equipment needed. Longer stays on either side of the planned weekend at the discretion of the host. First RSVP first served?

Schedule of events (or lack there-of) would be determined by those signed up, by common interests and available (free) instructors, or by the expertise of each attendee.

6 folks with different specialties- 30-90 minutes each spread out over a weekend, no one overlaps, no pressure, no rushing to meet schedules, no formalities, no expenses.

If beer, bonfires and BS is the common thread, so be it!
If Bansil is there, add in a group wine tasting and gourmet recipe exchange.

I hold to the KISS method. That way no one has to work too hard. Because everyone wants to enjoy their time at a meet-up right?

I'd be glad to lend my hand to any pre-event organizing if it's needed. Shoot me a PM if need be. I'm more likely to see those than a new comment.

Happy travels all!
Old 04-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I'm going to try tomorrow to check out a 'docking spot near Camp Verde AZ. If it looks OK, I plan to just pick a date and see who shows!
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
I'm going to try tomorrow to check out a 'docking spot near Camp Verde AZ. If it looks OK, I plan to just pick a date and see who shows!
That's the way to do it Dond! I really think a no-cost location will draw the most people. Hopefully boondocking isn't a game changer for most.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Y'all can park in my back field, by June the ground should be hard enough to drive on. Don't forget your 500 feet of extension cord, we'll find a place to plug you in. If everyone takes turns, I should be able to supply at least 1 amp to everyone

and some extra leveling blocks (probably more than this).

I'll chase the coons out and slap a new coat of paint on the out house and we're good to go. One of my dogs does a pretty good job of keeping the buzzards out of the barn.

No cost to anyone. The famous Dan Quail museum is in nearby Huntington

Seriously you are welcome to come and visit and hang out most anytime.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
Skoolie

WooHoo! Drop the first pin on that map in Andrews, Indiana! Thank you Dick!
Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #9
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
lol somewhere. dont run off the buzzards, we gotta have something to eat yaknow!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #10
Bus Geek

That is all I have.....and I have seen 2 ft of wood under fully extended hydraulic leveling points....scarey fun shiat
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I'd love to join ya'll but I have a honey-do list to finish. If I can find where she parked the bus last time.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Seriously, gauges and plumbing first, then I can think about travel if I can get time off.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
No one can say up skoolies don't have a great sense of humor.....I got tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Seriously, I remember going to a site, don't remember the name, don't remember the topic, don't remember much of anything about it except for the fact that the members were allowed to add their name & location to the map in order for others to know who was close by and who they may want to PM and get together with or whatever.

As the topic of this post is "Map showing Member location" wouldn't it be nice to do the same here.

Does anyone remember what I don't remember? Or know how we could start the same for Skoolies?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #15
Bus Nut

http://community.invisionpower.com/f...70-member-map/
Old 04-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Do that please.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Don't know how
Old 04-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #18
Bus Nut

ditto.....YO SKOOLIES ADMIN TEAM........DO IT FOR US, PLEASE
Old 04-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #19
Site Team

We might be able to rig up a member map but it would be using a google map and so the info would be public. Would you have concerns about this?

Another option might be a rally / event calendar function but it would not work well with mobile devices. Here's an example of one at another forum. If you click on the event, you see options to rsvp to attend. Airstream Forums - Calendar (note that if you are not logged in you will be asked to join the mailing list - just dismiss that).

Here is a third option - this is a rally map for another forum that is actually maintained by a member. As a google map it must be controlled by one or two individuals who enter all data. We could use something like this and then link to a discussion about the event in the description. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...Y.kH9EkyWon6YM
Old 04-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
last option looks good
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote