Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
Bus Nut
 
austin1989us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 313
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderhut View Post
$10/hr.
It looks like my local school districts wages for bus drivers are $13/hr, $16.25/hr, $14.19/hr, $15.05/hr, $14.95/hr, $15.75/hr, $15.70/hr. That's a pretty easy $14,000/yr for a part time job with benefits. A substitute teacher that works full days every school day here barely makes $11,000/yr with a bachelor degree or teacher certification.

There are a lot of school districts in the Houston area. Some districts pay benefits, guarantee 5 hours a day, have signing bonuses/retirement plans/pensions.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
Skoolie
 
wunderhut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Farmington, IL
Posts: 180
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Used to be ok around here when the districts owned the buses.

But now all the schools are contracting private bus companies who pay little and have pretty much no benefits.

The great corrupted state of Illinois isn't paying the schools so they can't afford things like buses anymore... just my kids school of only 400 students is just over $1mil back owed by the state.

Sorry for thread hijack...
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #13
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
It looks like my local school districts wages for bus drivers are $13/hr, $16.25/hr, $14.19/hr, $15.05/hr, $14.95/hr, $15.75/hr, $15.70/hr. That's a pretty easy $14,000/yr for a part time job with benefits. A substitute teacher that works full days every school day here barely makes $11,000/yr with a bachelor degree or teacher certification.

There are a lot of school districts in the Houston area. Some districts pay benefits, guarantee 5 hours a day, have signing bonuses/retirement plans/pensions.

$11k per year? I don't think so unless you are talking about some third world country in Africa. You would make more than that mopping floors at McDonalds. I call B.S. Show me a school that pays that for a fulltime salary.

This is from my state and it's AVERAGE salaries. It has a list of state salaries also.

Average Salaries & Expenditure Percentage - CalEdFacts (CA Dept of Education)
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #14
Skoolie
 
OMGIBoughtABus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The Lovely PNW
Posts: 143
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
$11k per year? I don't think so unless you are talking about some third world country in Africa. You would make more than that mopping floors at McDonalds. I call B.S. Show me a school that pays that for a fulltime salary.

This is from my state and it's AVERAGE salaries. It has a list of state salaries also.

Average Salaries & Expenditure Percentage - CalEdFacts (CA Dept of Education)
substitute teacher pay in Tomball Texas is $100 per day if you work 10 or more consecutive days. =18k before taxes and FICA maximum. That sounds like barely 11000 take home to me.

Tomball Independent School District
__________________
����
OMGIBoughtABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGIBoughtABus View Post
substitute teacher pay in Tomball Texas is $100 per day if you work 10 or more consecutive days. =18k before taxes and FICA maximum. That sounds like barely 11000 take home to me.

Tomball Independent School District
While I find the pay disgusting, playing with numbers is pretty shady. $18k is not $11k. Nowhere on this planet is salary quoted at net. Fed tax rate is 10% and Texas has no income tax. FICA is 6.2%. That doesn't take 18 to 11 unless you subtract Big Macs, dish soap, car insurance, etc.

Quote:
$13/hr, $16.25/hr, $14.19/hr, $15.05/hr, $14.95/hr, $15.75/hr, $15.70/hr.
These numbers are gross not net so why mix the two?
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
Skoolie
 
OMGIBoughtABus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The Lovely PNW
Posts: 143
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
While I find the pay disgusting, playing with numbers is pretty shady. $18k is not $11k. Nowhere on this planet is salary quoted at net. Fed tax rate is 10% and Texas has no income tax. FICA is 6.2%. That doesn't take 18 to 11 unless you subtract Big Macs, dish soap, car insurance, etc.

These numbers are gross not net so why mix the two?
sarcasm is wasted on some people
__________________
����
OMGIBoughtABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #17
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGIBoughtABus View Post
sarcasm is wasted on some people

Sarcasm is for smart people, so if you are talking about me, yes it is wasted.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #18
Bus Nut
 
austin1989us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 313
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
It looks like my mistake caused a bit of a commotion. Subs in CFISD make $90/day with a certification and/or bachelor's degree. I thought Tomball ISD was the same, but they may have raised their rate recently. There are 177 days in a school year for CFISD. Assuming you can get a job all 177 days (not likely) that's just shy of $16,000. The bus driver's hours are guaranteed. The sub's hours aren't. Bus drivers also have the opportunity to work more than just their guaranteed hours.

The $11k number must've came from the paraprofessional rate. They make $65/day. It's the same chart, but one line under what a sub teacher makes. I must've picked the wrong number when I was punching numbers in the calculator. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, school employees don't pay the 6.2% social security portion of FICA in Texas (but they have to pay into TRS).
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #19
Bus Nut
 
austin1989us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 313
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I call B.S. Show me a school that pays that for a fulltime salary
Also, that's not a salary, that's a day rate. Subs in my area are paid by the half day. Half a day = 4 hours = $45 = $11.25/hr

Substitutes aren't salaried employees here. And teaching isn't a full time job for most teachers. There are 2,080 hours in a normal work year, but a substitute only has 1,416 hours in a year.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #20
Bus Nut
 
austin1989us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 313
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderhut View Post

Sorry for thread hijack...

Ditto. This went way astray.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.