Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Site Team

Nice is required - forum posting etiquette

Recently the site team has been called to intervene when threads get heated and tempers rise and we wanted to take a little time to re-affirm the expectations on this board for members who post or PM.

These are the site rules: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/misc.p...ork&page=rules
They are long but the gist is: Be Nice. The devil is in the details however as one persons "nice" is anothers nasty. We don't all have the same social expectations so here are the basics:
  1. Do not call another member or their opinions misguided or dumb or something worse. Every person is entitled to their opinion, however that doesn't mean you can post to insult another. If a thread seems to invite an alternative opinion about a specific issue go ahead and post yours BUT do not argue with those who's opinions differ from yours. Your opinion is not better or right - it's just your opinion. State your opinion once and then move on. One post is enough.

2. Arguing for the sake of debate is not appropriate. Folks join this board to learn about Skoolies and to share experiences related to the topic of the board. Be helpful when you post.

3. The same standards of behavior apply to all sections of the board including PMs and other messaging paths. If you can't post it on a thread, don't send it via PM.

4. We ask members who see problems to hit the report button to get some help from the site team. The site team are volunteers and it sometimes takes a little time to find a resolution to a problem or concern. Moderator actions are typically private between the concerned parties and the moderator. We don't post publicly about this stuff as this sort of drama is a detraction from the topic of the board AND because it may run afoul of our privacy policy. Moderation decisions are made after input from the entire team, we function as a committee of sorts and while one moderator may deliver the message it will be after consultation with others.

5. Members set the tone for the community. Please welcome newbies and contribute in a positive way to questions and concerns. We were all clueless newbies once and it's daunting to register on a public forum and post. Many Skoolie owners are especially private and so try to be supportive and positive.

6. While the forum allows posts that are critical of a product or process, it's not a free speech zone. It's privately owned and there are rules. You agreed to them when you joined and they are fairly straightforward but we expect that they will be followed.

7. Disparaging a product, or vendor especially when you have no direct experience is not helpful. If you had a negative experience with a sales transaction or product it's fine to post about it BUT it must be your personal experience - not random "that product rots/this seller is a slimeball" comments. If you have a dispute with a vendor please settle it with the vendor but don't "litigate' it here on the forum. We aren't associated with businesses and aren't in a position to 1. affect change or 2, determine the veracity of the claims. There is often more than one side to a complaint and taking to the internet to damage the reputation of a vendor is uncool and unfair.

8. Politics and religion topics. Not allowed on this board. We have members with widely varying beliefs, values and from several countries. Collectively we will not agree on many of these topics and they are divisive to the community. Let's focus on the things we have in common - Skoolies, travel and fun.

9. It's easy to hide behind a mask of anonymity on the internet. Ordinary, reasonable people can somehow believe that it's OK to post aggressively and post misleading information without consequence. Think before you post and consider if you would say the same things if you were face to face with the same person. If you would not, then do not post.

10. If a moderator contacts you about a problem post, take the contact seriously. We are patient but repeated issues will result in account restrictions.

Thanks for considering - we aim to make the forum an enjoyable place for everyone.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Forgive my ignorance.

How do I report a post? I am viewing the forum on an Android tablet.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Forgive my ignorance.

How do I report a post? I am viewing the forum on an Android tablet.
If you are viewing with a full browser there is a little triangle icon next to each post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	report_1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	23038
Old 06-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Thank you Janet.

Viewing the mobile version of the site, I don't see that info on the left.

Selecting "view desktop site" from my browser options does not help.

Finally I found the "view full site" link at the bottom of the page. Clicking that caused the additional details to show up.

Thanks again.

S.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
Site Team

I was just checking the mobile view - looks like the report function is not there. We'll get it added.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #6

Hello! I am unable to post any new threads as the "New Thread" button does not appear on both my laptop or phone. Do I need special permissions to do this from the admins?
BriarRoseBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
Site Team

You need to be logged in to post a new thread. Double check ... Once logged in you should see the new thread button.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
Bus Geek

This is a topic that has come and gone so man times over the years, it has become a real issue the last 6 months.

Everyone has an opinion, that is awesome!!!

BUT...

If your opinion doesn't HELP the original question/topic, why even post it??

arguing and name calling is not needed,

IF you believe the post is wrong and will possibly harm someone, REPORT it DO NOT tell them they are stupid or dumb etc.

If nothing is done in 24 hrs OR people are believing it...REPORT it again, dont argue, it does no good
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Things have been getting heated in a few posts as of late... Glad to see you guys stepping in and taking care of it quickly. One of the best things about this forum is the easy going nature of the people here and their willingness to help/give guidance.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
This is a topic that has come and gone so man times over the years, it has become a real issue the last 6 months.

If your opinion doesn't HELP the original question/topic, why even post it??

arguing and name calling is not needed,

I think we will all (myself included) be better off if we keep that in mind before hitting the "post" button.

Another behaviour that I could do without is PM from multiple members involved in an an argument telling me how right or wrong the parties involved are.

Rant complete.....
Old 08-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I'm with Janet. Just show a little courtesy and act like an adult. P & M somewhere else.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: B60
Engine: 8.2 Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 14000 lbs

How long does it take for a new post from a new member to show up in the topic?

I posted a reply to the School Bus Conversion Resources > Skoolie General Forums > Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters

and it shows a new post by me but when you go to click on the last post mine doesn't show up.
budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman56 View Post
How long does it take for a new post from a new member to show up in the topic?

I posted a reply to the School Bus Conversion Resources > Skoolie General Forums > Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters

and it shows a new post by me but when you go to click on the last post mine doesn't show up.
Posts display instantly unless you are a new member with fewer than 10 posts. In that case, if you post included a link or e-mail address the post is moderated (spam abatement scheme) until a site team member has a chance to have a look.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 1992
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9, Spicer-5
Rated Cap: 44 Big butts/66 Lil ones
Can someone answer this for me.
What does, PM me, mean?
I am not up to speed on this abbreviated computer language.
one_eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
Can someone answer this for me.
What does, PM me, mean?
I am not up to speed on this abbreviated computer language.
Private Message, on each post, if you click on the posters name it will drop down a window that has "send a private message" link.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 1992
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9, Spicer-5
Rated Cap: 44 Big butts/66 Lil ones
AAh thank you!
one_eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:23 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
hi all,

whats an RV life community? i thought skoolie was the anti rv life community. i saw that a while back and started scratching my head as to why we are in this community.

i try and be nice but i must admit i enjoy a good trolling too. when someone says "its not the batteries, i just bought them" or "can i add worms to my poop?" then i think a full on trolling is completely appropriate.

feel free to moderate me as you see fit
Old 12-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
hi all,

whats an RV life community? i thought skoolie was the anti rv life community. i saw that a while back and started scratching my head as to why we are in this community.

i try and be nice but i must admit i enjoy a good trolling too. when someone says "its not the batteries, i just bought them" or "can i add worms to my poop?" then i think a full on trolling is completely appropriate.
RV Life is a little network of sites focused on camping, rving and generally kicking back. You can read here: About RV LIFE? - RV Life for details but they include sites about restoring vintage rigs.

Quote:
feel free to moderate me as you see fit
Only if you promise to not enjoy it
Old 09-22-2022, 07:33 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
I try and be nice but i must admit i enjoy a good trolling too. when someone says "its not the batteries, i just bought them" or "can i add worms to my poop?" then i think a full on trolling is completely appropriate.
Worms in one's poop is completely personal. AND totally orgasmic..
I wood recommend researching your BP levels before personally enacting unsolicited internet solicitations.
As a professional health science schlub, I'm just sayin' open air fecal depositions are frequently frowned upon.
To reiterate, "Jus' sayin'...
Old 09-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
As a professional health science schlub, I'm just sayin' open air fecal depositions are frequently frowned upon.
To reiterate, "Jus' sayin'...

Except in San Fran.

Now back to our regularly scheduled posting, from 4 years back..
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote