Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #1

photo sizes

I'm wondering about the sizes of the uploaded images. It is a bit problematic trying to see the photos by moving a scroll bar up and down, or back and forth.
Is there a way to resize them so they can be viewed completely

eddiequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
The real question is how to add pictures that don't take 15 minutes to load.

Generally speaking you can open photos in editing software then save them, which reduces the size and quality so they work better in threads as well as uploading faster.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
If you can't use Photoshop or some photoedit sw, there online solutions.

shoot for no larger than 1200 px wide @ 72 dpi

https://imageresize.org/

http://www.picresize.com/
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

reply 1

Oh, thanks guys. But, being a newby, I was more interested in the viewing of OTHER people's pics.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Per these conversations, if everyone was reducing their photo size you would not have to scroll to see an entire photo. It also wouldn't take 15 minutes to load the thread. Ok, 15 minutes might be an exaggeration but you get the meaning.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Test of third party photo hosting on SmugMug

Can anyone see these?

ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Loud and clear.

I think you'll like SmugMug.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Windows users will like this utility for resizing - How to use Image Resizer for Windows | Image Resizer for Windows

It allows you to right click on a picture (or group of selected pictures) and resize real quick.

Personally, I prefer pictures be uploaded to the site itself, instead of using 3rd party hosting.

The reason is.... when someones 3rd party host doenst work anymore (be it their account is maxed out, or the user deletes pictures, account, etc) the pictures still exist.

On a large forum I used to run, we didnt allow 3rd party hosting of pictures, and required users to just upload.

I even had it set up, so it would watermark the pictures upon upload with the username of the uploader, and the site name.

Pretty slick stuff!

also.... by uploading, when someone loads the page, it only loads thumnails initially. This is nice for photo heavy pages... as you only download the 'large size' files when you click on them.
mangus580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Loud and clear; I think you'll like SmugMug.
Thank you for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangus580 View Post
Windows users will like this utility for resizing - How to use Image Resizer for Windows | Image Resizer for Windows

It allows you to right click on a picture (or group of selected pictures) and resize real quick.

Personally, I prefer pictures be uploaded to the site itself, instead of using 3rd party hosting.

The reason is.... when someones 3rd party host doenst work anymore (be it their account is maxed out, or the user deletes pictures, account, etc) the pictures still exist.

On a large forum I used to run, we didnt allow 3rd party hosting of pictures, and required users to just upload.

I even had it set up, so it would watermark the pictures upon upload with the username of the uploader, and the site name.

Pretty slick stuff!

also.... by uploading, when someone loads the page, it only loads thumnails initially. This is nice for photo heavy pages... as you only download the 'large size' files when you click on them.
I appreciate your perspective and I agree that there is risk in using 3PH. In fact I was among the many PhotoBucket users who got screwed when PhotoBucket suddenly decided their users should pay $400 a year for the privilege of using their 3PH feature.

However for me, uploading photos to the forum just has too many shortcomings. For example, I take 99.9% of photos using my android phone. Those photos may be automatically backed up to SmugMug or another hosting solution.

So to upload a photo to a forum post I must either:
A) use my phone to write the post which I hate, or
B) download the photo from SmugMug (or where ever), re-size it, and then re-upload it to the forum.
C) manually transfer photos via usb from my phone to my PC (MacBook actually...), and the re-size and upload to the forum

Furthermore, max number of photos allowed on Skoolie.net is 200, file size is limited to 97kb and 600X600 pixels; not optimum to say the least. I am not blaming Skoolie.net, just pointing out the facts.

ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
I guess I see your point. I personally use dropbox to sync from phone to computer, and the cloud. so its a bit easier.

i did not know about the skoolie limits. Thats a bit of a bummer.

Some forums (and I think its a v-bulliten thing...) you can put a URL in the 'photo upload' field... and it will copy it to the forum server for you. Granted - if there are limits, that is an issue.

Oh well... I can sit back on the sidelines and read more about busses.

Nice switches BTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Thank you for the recommendation.

I appreciate your perspective and I agree that there is risk in using 3PH. In fact I was among the many PhotoBucket users who got screwed when PhotoBucket suddenly decided their users should pay $400 a year for the privilege of using their 3PH feature.

However for me, uploading photos to the forum just has too many shortcomings. For example, I take 99.9% of photos using my android phone. Those photos may be automatically backed up to SmugMug or another hosting solution.

So to upload a photo to a forum post I must either:
A) use my phone to write the post which I hate, or
B) download the photo from SmugMug (or where ever), re-size it, and then re-upload it to the forum.
C) manually transfer photos via usb from my phone to my PC (MacBook actually...), and the re-size and upload to the forum

Furthermore, max number of photos allowed on Skoolie.net is 200, file size is limited to 97kb and 600X600 pixels; not optimum to say the least. I am not blaming Skoolie.net, just pointing out the facts.
mangus580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #11

pics

Yes. Awesome images. I wish they were all like this.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #12

You can try an online tool fore image resizing like https://resizemyimg.com/
jonutz is offline   Reply With Quote