Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Product Review: Melitta Ready Set Joe Single Cup Coffee Brew

PRODUCT REVIEW

I bought a Melitta Ready Set Joe Single Cup Coffee Brewer and a Gold Tone #2 Permanent Cone Coffee Filter for my RVing daughter for Christmas.She had been complaining about the hassle involved with cleaning the french press and she didn't need a 10-12 cup coffeemaker with the thin glass carafes also why she didn't really want a "single cup" coffeemaker. She loved her new dripper so I bought one for David as well. So for $6 plus shipping David has a great little single cup coffeemaker. We did go buy him a BIG coffee mug to go with this. He thinks my 6 oz corelle coffee cups are too small.

Here's how David made a cup of coffee this morning.

#1. Get out the glass measuring cup and fill with the desired amount of water. Put the water in the microwave and heat it up. He heats up 1-1/2 cups water for 3 minutes in the microwave.

#2. While the water is heating, David gets his mug and adds his desired amount of sugar in the bottom of the mug then places the filter and cone on top of the mug. Then he gets a tableware teaspoon (not measuring spoon) and puts 3 heaping spoonfuls of coffee (Maxwell House Master Blend) in the filter. Then rinses the spoon clean. By that time the water has heated up.

#3. David slowly pours the hot water into the filter slowly so that it does not over flow. Then he puts the glass measuring cup back in the cupboard since all it did was heat up water.

#4. Next the water drips it's final drips, David removes the gold filter and dumps the coffee grounds into the garbage and rinses the filter and the cone clean in the sink. He puts those up in the cupboard. Then he uses the spoon he measured the coffee with to stir the sugar into the coffee.

#5. Next he takes his freshly brewed cup of coffee to his chair and watches the news.

Time elapsed: 1 minute to find all the coffee making stuff and fill the measuring cup with water + 3 minutes for the water to heat + 2 minutes for the coffee to brew = 6 minutes.

David says this makes a great cup of coffee. It's fast, easy and cheap. If for some reason we can't use the microwave to heat the water, we can always use the tea kettle and heat the water on the stove. As fast as it brews, the filter & cone and be reused to make a second cup of coffee if he ever needed to make another cup for a guest.

It takes me 6 minutes to brew a cup of hot tea!

If you are a coffee drinker and have been thinking about coffeemakers in your bus, consider the Ready-Set-Joe or similar coffee dripper. Get the permanent filter to keep from having to buy paper filter (and having to store the filters). No coffeemaker taking up space on the countertop is a biggie for us.

These drip coffeemakers are also available in a collapsible silicone style (even a collapsible silicone tea kettle). They are more expensive. I have not used any of the silicone items although I think the tea kettle might be something that could find it's way into our galley since we usually use the microwave to heat up small amounts of water. I do have a couple collapsible silicone colanders and bowls. I like them. I can't really say the same about the silicone bakeware. The longer I use the bakeware, the less I like it.

(previously posted at http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106223)

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote