Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #1

Roof Raising

We have a very short bus. I am 5'4" and almost touch the ceiling in our Chevy GT 30 Cutaway bus.

Do you think it is worth it to raise the roof? Looking for ideas, suggestions, instructions - completely new to this conversion stuff, however, I am excited and willing to learn.

Aworrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Chevrolet Mid Bus
Chassis: G 31
Engine: V8
Rated Cap: 23
Just curious how short is your bus. Just recently bought a 23 passenger. Its about 17ft from end to drivers seat. Is yours shorter?
The bus stops here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
Skoolie

I'm assuming your bus is one of the smaller ones, like 4 windows, and you wanted it that way?
I'm just wondering how committed you are to this specific vehicle? There are plenty of 4 and 5 window buses with 5' 10" of headroom to start out, and that saves you from what is really a big project!
A roof raise is generally only over the passenger area, with a transition right behind the driver's seat(more or less). The transition itself is the hardest part, requiring good metal fabrication skills. It can certainly be done by a first timer, but only if you're good at cutting, measuring, and welding light gauge steel.
At 5'4, I'd buy one of the many buses that are already a good match for your body