Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
12v and solar prep

ok, R1 came with 3 new batteries in the bus battery compartment. any one else have 3 batteries on board for the bus engine and factory 12v wiring leads?
I am going to build in battery bank of 4 or 6 6v cells into one of our benches to power things like fridge tv computer. any one go lithium ion yet?
is there a charge controller to use that will charge both the house bank and the bus bank, that way i can in theory use the bus bank and all these factory leads (lights and emergency exit buzzers and such) for the LED lighting aspect of the interior and fresh wires for only the new bank?
or should i just leave the bus bank alone and run all new wiring to the stuff off the new house bank being installed?
whats the jedi setup that would make all this possible? i am thinking of using this inverter / charger from magnum not sure which one to get the 24v or 48v version.
http://www.sundeavor.com/magnum-3.pdf
thoughts

Arvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
That is a very high end inverter charger, you will not be disappointed.
Don't forget to put properly sized fuses on all your wires.

To conect the two banks you will need a battery isolator. However not the kind that conects to the altornator and then the two banks. You want the kind that only conects to the batteries, like this one...
12V Dual Battery Isolator | Princess Auto
This style is better beceause if it fails your starting batteries still get charged.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
Skoolie

does the inverter / charger have to be 24v or 48v? what is the difference in this application?
Old 01-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
For a bus If you are charging your house bank off your starting bank all your equipment must be 12volts.

Inverters are made in 24 and 48 volt options too for use in stand alone off grid setups. With a higher voltage wire size is reduced and the system is generally more efficient.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
ok, R1 came with 3 new batteries in the bus battery compartment. any one else have 3 batteries on board for the bus engine and factory 12v wiring leads?
I had two crappy mixed starter batteries that came with my bus. I recycled them when I replaced them with a single 8D

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
I had two crappy mixed starter batteries that came with my bus. I recycled them when I replaced them with a single 8D
Have you got lots of cranking power with just 1 8d battery? That's what I was thinking of doing, having 1 8d battery for start, and 4 six volt for house battery, all in my battery compartment.
gbstewart
Old 01-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
Have you got lots of cranking power with just 1 8d battery? That's what I was thinking of doing, having 1 8d battery for start, and 4 six volt for house battery, all in my battery compartment.
gbstewart
Hey GB, we have the same engine and I haven't yet had a problem starting mine off of a single group 31, even in the winter (except for that time the glow plug relay died and I didn't notice). The bus had two older group 31s when I got it.
I'm using this one:
31-95S BATT GR31 950CCA 1080CA 180R/C STUD

I would say that a single 8D would be plenty good.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Hey GB, we have the same engine and I haven't yet had a problem starting mine off of a single group 31, even in the winter (except for that time the glow plug relay died and I didn't notice). The bus had two older group 31s when I got it.
I'm using this one:
31-95S BATT GR31 950CCA 1080CA 180R/C STUD

I would say that a single 8D would be plenty good.
thank you, ya I have the 2 group 31 also, going down to 1 start battery and having more room house batteries would be the way to go, when mine crap out which i'm sure will be this spring ill go with a group 31, or 8d, if it works for you is the sault, it will work for me here is the Sioux...
gbstewart
ps,, maybe will meet up this summer, I'll be heading that way again, some time this summer, I'v stayed at the koa campground, as well as rest stop just 30kms, west on 17, also a night in your hospital parking lot, but that's another story.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
I am going to build in battery bank of 4 or 6 6v cells into one of our benches to power things like fridge tv computer. any one go lithium ion yet?
is there a charge controller to use that will charge both the house bank and the bus bank, that way i can in theory use the bus bank and all these factory leads (lights and emergency exit buzzers and such) for the LED lighting aspect of the interior and fresh wires for only the new bank?
or should i just leave the bus bank alone and run all new wiring to the stuff off the new house bank being installed?
whats the jedi setup that would make all this possible? i am thinking of using this inverter / charger from magnum not sure which one to get the 24v or 48v version.
http://www.sundeavor.com/magnum-3.pdf
thoughts
Before you venture deep into electrical project, I highly recommend you analyze your load and size the battery accordingly. Tons of internet outlet, specialized in alternate power source out there can help you to realize what you're doing.

First, your local hardware store sells watt-meter or something, that allows you to accurately record your electrical consumption. You plug into your targeted appliance for several days, let this gadget calculate your real power consumption, then estimate the cost of adding battery good enough to meet your electrical need.

My estimate is that the battery cost alone on your setup should be minimum $1,000 or more. Then, you include the cost of inverter. Typical refrigerator is nothing but a motor to charge compressor. Inductive load do not like cheap inverter, or else, you'll just waste 50% or more of battery power in inverter alone. Get yourself a usable, depends on your refrigerator consumption, and double it. You'll need pure sine wave inverter to save precious battery power, looking into another easy $1000 for decently made inverter. Don't forget typical commercial grade inverter only yields maximum of 80% efficiency, if you're lucky, meaning you'll need to size your energy storage accordingly. Don't trust specs in commercial parts, because these people are no more than a thieves without a weapon or have no clues on electrical matters. Make sure to measure your inverter's efficiency and size the battery accordingly. Your spending only begins here, I hope you get the idea.

It's hard to tell which charging system you're interested, hopefully not a solar charger, because you'll need lots of solar panels to meet the demand of refrigerator alone. Once you figure out basics, rest is just academic.

You can fizzle with your wiring after you figure out your load requirement, Your attempt to save the cost of wire, appears that way, should be least concern, as cost of battery alone to power refrigerator will be high enough.
kwang_yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
Skoolie

was planning 5-7k in electric budget. liking the magnum pure sine inverter i mentioned in this thread. i am now leaving buss bank alone and will only draw off it for something used very intermittently. build house bank of 8/ 6v batteries https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/t6v-agm.html
or smaller bank probably 4 of these
https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...s/gpl-6ct.html
solar, wind and passive gas generator charging was the route i had planned. 4-6 panels on top, small turbine to raise, turbine will be added at later date. was thinking a honda suitcase sort of generator with a built in 12v charger outlet to make up anything that solar falls shy on.
was only ever contemplating using factory wiring and bus bank for Led light strips around the bus. ( the 12 v roll out sort) then thought better of it because i could accidentally leave them on and drain my starting force. not cost cutting. after 1 year road trip R1 around the country it will be base of operations for build of new homestead. will need reliable source of power. expandable power
input?