Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

1948-1951 Chevy Short Bus Questions, Please help

I am looking a 1948-1950 + Chevy Short Bus project or completed bus. Can anyone comment on brakes and steering on these old buses. Are they hard to upgrade? Can they be made safe? Any words of wisdom? I am also considering a larger 1970+ crown bus. I want to be sure what ever I get can be made road worthy and safe for a family of four. Any advice if safety is my most important aspect??

Thanks to all who take the time to reply!

brianjsharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Re: 1948-1951 Chevy Short Bus Questions, Please help

Those old busses (really trucks) were under braked and don't have power steering either so you need to look for later model donor truck that is around your weight class, preferably GM if that is what you are using and update the axles. The original springs will probably work but you need the later model stuff so you can get the larger brakes and ease of obtaining parts. While you are at it chose axles that have the style wheels you prefer, bud or dayton. Check tread width to make sure your new axles and tires aren't going to rub the fender edge (and the springs are at the same spacing)s. You will have to shoehorn the steering box in and install a pump on the engine. OH YA this isn't really a novice thing so get help if you aren't up to it. Good luck, sportyrick.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #3

Re: 1948-1951 Chevy Short Bus Questions, Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick
Those old busses (really trucks) were under braked and don't have power steering either so you need to look for later model donor truck that is around your weight class, preferably GM if that is what you are using and update the axles. The original springs will probably work but you need the later model stuff so you can get the larger brakes and ease of obtaining parts. While you are at it chose axles that have the style wheels you prefer, bud or dayton. Check tread width to make sure your new axles and tires aren't going to rub the fender edge (and the springs are at the same spacing)s. You will have to shoehorn the steering box in and install a pump on the engine. OH YA this isn't really a novice thing so get help if you aren't up to it. Good luck, sportyrick.
Thanks much. Looking for the right bus, the right donors, and the right help.
brianjsharkey is offline   Reply With Quote