Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 396 chevy Industrial
1968 Bluebird

Hello to all my fellow "Skoolies"
This is my first post of many to come.
I just bought my 68 Bluebird by the barter/trade deal. My 1972 mini mobile for the bus. This bus was professionally converted 7 years ago. Rebuilt 396 industrial engine with heavy duty cam. New Holley 750 Carb. 4 Speed Trany with Split Shift (8 speeds), New clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing, New brakes, 5 gas tanks (with gauges) only the main tank has been used up to this point that I know of. Running down the highway oil pressure is 75pounds and idles 60pounds. Vacuum is 20pounds, all live gauges (everything works). Mileage is unknown but odometer reads 95,000. New Stereo System (am/fm/cd/mp3/Ipod) with speakers front/back, C.B. Spare tire, Tow package. Long/Full kitchen ,New Stove/Oven, Built in microwave, Fridge (propane/electric)New water heater, Shower, Toilet, many A/C outlets and lighting throughout. Custom built back porch, (looks like it came with it) Two 20gallon propane tanks (tanks are outdated but full of propane). Fresh/Gray/and Black water tanks are supported with angle iron struts with plywood bottoms. New Solar Panels with battery pack (that run the interior lights and fans but no generator) Hmmmmmmm have to think about that
New roof AC. All glass is tinted, 4 windows on both sides have been skinned where the kitchen and bathroom are. New tires on the back/front tires are near new. Arizona tags with Historical plate.
I plan to redo the conversion to meet our needs- give it a more "motor coach" feel. This will take me 6 months to a year since I am new to this as a project goes. Some examples of what I want to do, Install the rich foam padded ceiling panels that you see on motor coaches as well as the rich looking wood wall panels too. I have talked to a number of the big motor coach parts departments and what they tell me is find the coach that has what I want, get the VIN # of that coach and they can order me what ever parts I want. Any thoughts on this???
There is a question I need help with that I haven't found answers/threads to. I want to change out the ugly beat up wheels for chrome ones you see on the nice semi's and coaches you see moving down the road. So your input will be greatly appreciated.
I will post pics as I go (before and after) so you can kabits on the progress.
My fiance and I are contemplating becoming "full timers" and make our Skoolie our permanent residence. She is a nurse and we/she plan to do travel nursing as soon as I can sell my business to my business partner. The sub prime really crippled our business and just recently is showing signs of reviving so it will take at least 6 months for this to happen.
Looking forward to your posts
They call me "Mr. Pig"
Attached Thumbnails
driver side of bus.jpg  

waterboy434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: 1968 Bluebird

Hi Smitty
Thanks for the reply. Here is a shot of the back of the bus, you can see the tanks are just behind the storage box, they are bigger than the BBQ kind right now. I would like to build a shelf underneath and store new tanks there. The ones I have are too old to refill but they do have lots of LP gas right now.
Yep ur right on DIY have gone to the local big box stores and some upscale "hardwood stores" for panneling but haven't seen anything that comes close to what I want. I figure the cost for the finished look I want will be well worth it. I hope...
Attached Thumbnails
back of bus.jpg  
Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Welcome.

You did say 20 GALLON tank, not 20 pounds, by my poor brain skimmed over that and pictured BBQ tanks, too. My bad.
I know that old tanks can be re-certified so dealers would fill them again, but I wouldn't know where to send them.
Maybe a commercial propane delivery service could tell you.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Welcome to Skoolie.net That's a nice looking bus.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

What does the bumper say? I can make out, "She's Slow... but ???" perdy? Can't quite make out the last word.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Welcome.

You did say 20 GALLON tank, not 20 pounds, by my poor brain skimmed over that and pictured BBQ tanks, too. My bad.
I know that old tanks can be re-certified so dealers would fill them again, but I wouldn't know where to send them.
Maybe a commercial propane delivery service could tell you.
OOPS!!! That should be 20LBS
Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
What does the bumper say? I can make out, "She's Slow... but ???" perdy? Can't quite make out the last word.
Hi TC it says "Shes slow but paid fer"
Old 11-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Welcome, and congrats on the bus, nic lookin rig! If the 2-tanks are "grille" tanks, pull them & go to a place that exchanges them, and you'll have 2 up to date tanks then.

Look for a set of wheel simulators for your existing wheels. Many here use them, I know Steve got a set for one of his busses.

On the interior parts....if you have loads of $$, then that's the way to go. If not, lumber yards are full of sheets of nice plywood, stains, and finishes. DIY will save you lots of dollars, as opposed to paying a conversion retailer for something you could do with minimal skills & tools.

Add some more pics when you can

Smitty
Hey Smitty is there a link to Steve's bus with the wheel simulators, I saw one at camping USA is there another place that may have them cheeper?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pied Typer

It's funny you mentioned the spare tire carrier, I first looked at that and thought, "Lord, I would hate to be the person that has to get that 11R22.5 on and off of that thing!"
At one point I could have, no problem, not now though...but I couldn't change a tire if my life depended on it. It'd be nice to carry a spare anyway, it might save a few bucks & time when road-service came to change my tire.

Smitty
Funny you should bring that up!! I have all SPLIT rims on this bad boy and to make it worse the front rims have a different wheel configuration then the back dohhhhh which means 2 diff tires I would need for flats for back and front, sheesh. I am going to a place that might have tubeless rims and I can then go with tubelss tires which then all tires and rims will be the same. I'll let you know how that turns out later today.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott
Welcome to Skoolie.net That's a nice looking bus.
Hi Abbott, thanks I like being here!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Skoolie

Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

In my Opinion... You have the BEST platform for a skoolie!! However, I MAY possibly be biased in my opinion.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LR
In my Opinion... You have the BEST platform for a skoolie!! However, I MAY possibly be biased in my opinion.
HEY COOLR dude alright!!! I looked at your pics and I think I'm seeing double ha ha ha. Coolr bus way coolr!!!! Are you still riding with split rims?
Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

My bus is soooooo old I may be up crap creek-no tubless rims OBSOLETE part number. Looking to see if I can update(bone yard) to new wheel/hubs that will give me newer bolt configuration for tubless rims. Welcome to conversion 101....
Old 11-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy434
Quote:
HEY COOLR dude alright!!! I looked at your pics and I think I'm seeing double ha ha ha. Coolr bus way coolr!!!! Are you still riding with split rims?

NOPE! Shes got tubeless all around.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 11-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Skoolie

OK I lied... its got tubes not tubeless...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0793.JPG  

IYAAYAS
Old 11-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy434
Quote:

NOPE! Shes got tubeless all around.
Where did you get tubeless rims? I went to change out my split rims and the change over part number came back obsolete???? What did you do???
Old 12-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Skoolie

As far as I know, these are the rims that came on the bus when my dad got ahold of it years ago

IYAAYAS
Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 88
Engine: 7.3 international

if you want those nice aluminum rims measure your wheel bolt pattern and then find www.alcoa.com . they make 90% of those wheels you see on big rigs ect. but expect to pay more for them than you did for the bus.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

waterboy go to stovebolt.com and head into the big bolts thread.Post some pictures in there and take a look for their big truck rim and tire guide for a compatible option for your bus.Cool bus you have there!Timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote