Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: 1996 F800 Brakes Issue

Judging by the size of the fittings that looks to be an air line for the brakes. If it is an air line that will be water coming out of the pressure sensor indicating 1) your pressure sensor is no good and 2) why is there water in your air lines? I would drain all of your tanks and check for water, this could be an indication that your air dryer is not working. If this has hydraulic brakes, then it would be brake fluid and that switch maybe for brake lights, though Ive never seen one mounted back that far. Try unplugging the sensor and see what lights up on your dash. Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I don't think that can came from the factory. If I'm not mistaken, it came with a tomato can instead of a peach can.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #3

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

What makes me mad about those pictures is that is probably a $50 fix if that is an air line. In the meantime, people's lives were in jeopardy. This is not directed at the OP but whoever was responsible for the maintenance of the bus before.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

just remove it and go to the truck parts house.. they will either have one, or a close match.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Those look like an AN type of fitting used for hydraulics,IMO that is not airline.
That should be air over hydraulic system,and the pressure switch is electric(probably shorted out do to the fluid)
Follow them and see were they terminate and take a pic
The leak is bad my be a dirty/loose fitting or line is bad.those lines are multi layer...may be a pin hole in the "rubber" leaking thru the "fabric" covering.
Def. Needs fixing!!!

All(or most that aren't copper,SS or alum tubing) air lines are DOT plastic(from my experience...I am young tho' )
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Brakes Issue

My long distance guess is the leaking device is for hydraulic brakes. Clean around the fittings, and try to snug up the connection. The brake line maybe cracked. Get a helper to sit in drivers seat. Take camera to leak. Check the fitting while engine is off, while pressing on brakes. Check the fitting with the engine running, while pressing on brakes. Then I would carefully remove sensor, noting the connections, so that a plug can be installed to prevent loss of brake fluid. Go to a HD truck shop or store and get a new sensor. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I'm going to say brake light switch, it appears to have wires going it it/
Kind of an odd location, If there are two wires, try hooking them together to see if the brake lights come on.
Those hydraulic switches used to be quite common, as well as them leaking.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #8

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B800
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Allright guys, it's been a long time and I'm sorry for the delay. I lost my original account in the gmail purge, so I also must apologize for any missing information.

Ultimately the bus had a lot of things that needed attention. The brakes had a couple things going on: the sensor in the back was leaking (an easy fix) and the stoplight switch under the brake pedal had somehow snapped in half. Fixing those issues led to the warning light and buzzer ("Park E Brake" light) no longer being stuck constantly on, same story with the brake lights. We also had to replace the bus batteries and all four rear tires, all of which make me feel a lot more confident in our machine.

The brake issue has progressed though. The bus is on a Lucas-Girling system and our backup electrical brake booster is not engaging. Instead, in situations where it should (e.g., key in, engine off, brakes applied) the "Park E Brake" light comes on and there is no sound, much less the backup engaging. I'll be checking the power supply this weekend and running down the troubleshooting list in my shop manual, but I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with or any insight in regards to the problems we've run into.

Also, since this thread has a distinct lack of pics, here is our Barge:

IMG_7203 by The Janky Barge, on Flickr
JankyBarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Bus Geek

LOOKS LIKE FUN, NOT SURE HOW THIS WAS MISSED
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote