Old 09-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Re: 1997 Ford B-800 brake line repair

Few things cant be short cut.... brakes and tires are tops on my list. I mean hell your only stopping a huge chunk of metal. Glad to hear you are making the right choice

Pics of my conversion @ photobucket http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../School%20Bus/
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55

Turns out the leaky line wasn't the rear brakes at all but the emergency brake. The leaky fluid is red (ATF), not brake fluid, and from a 1/2 inch line, not a 5/16 (or 1/4") typical brake line (or whatever).

The master cylinder chamber for the rear brakes IS oddly empty, so I went and got some more brake fluid to bleed through the system. Will see how it goes.

=)
tomas_maly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Skoolie

With the new diagnosis of parking brake failure, I was curious whether the parking brake lever does anything with the transmission since there is no "Park" on the shifter. It gets left into 'Neutral' and I was imaging on a slope the bus might roll down a hill until the parking brake was engaged.

There appears to be a hydraulic line going out of the e-brake lever, and a few wires, I was curious if engaging the parking brake did anything with the transmission or whether the transmission is still in neutral and there be a risk of the vehicle rolling down a hill/slope if the e-brake was failed.

I'm just asking because the bus is parked on a slight slope and it hasn't budged a bit. The e-brake reservoir (ATF) is empty and I know I lost several quarts along the way, but it still seems to work, somehow
=)
Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #14
Site Team

try 1st link for info
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cg...ford&th=546608

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=21764

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91...ke-system.html

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/...Girling-Brakes

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...-brake-285796/

there is a little back ground with terms to search
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
Skoolie

I couldn't quite make heads or tails of what was being said (I'm more of a visual guy), so I'm opting to buy the service manuals for the Ford B-800..... Found on Ebay for $30 .

I can't seem to find the bleeder valve for the drum brakes, any ideas? The service manual might not be here for another week, I definitely need this particular job done before then. I might take a picture of the drum and post it here, maybe someone can point out where the bleeder valve should be.

That being said, what the heck is THIS? I think it has to do with the parking brake (that thick 1/2" line goes to the e-brake reservoir (ATF), but I've never seen anything like that before (only really familiar with disc brake systems and e-brake shoes)... I'm confused because after this cylinder thing, it's a conventional brake line that parallels the hydraulic (pedal) brake line. Are there two sets of shoes inside the drum? And might there be two different bleeder valves? Can't wait for the service manual!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas_maly
I couldn't quite make heads or tails of what was being said (I'm more of a visual guy), so I'm opting to buy the service manuals for the Ford B-800..... Found on Ebay for $30 .

I can't seem to find the bleeder valve for the drum brakes, any ideas? The service manual might not be here for another week, I definitely need this particular job done before then. I might take a picture of the drum and post it here, maybe someone can point out where the bleeder valve should be.

That being said, what the heck is THIS? I think it has to do with the parking brake (that thick 1/2" line goes to the e-brake reservoir (ATF), but I've never seen anything like that before (only really familiar with disc brake systems and e-brake shoes)... I'm confused because after this cylinder thing, it's a conventional brake line that parallels the hydraulic (pedal) brake line. Are there two sets of shoes inside the drum? And might there be two different bleeder valves? Can't wait for the service manual!

In this picture, the nipple on the top is where to bleed.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
Site Team

I wasn't going to say anything, you really need to read up on how the system works then you can learn to fix it

One of the links I posted has a tutorial to give you an idea how to bleed it as well as correct way to set it

I would def. choke the bus a couple times to make sure it doesn't roll when you release pressure or add it to bleed park brake
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I wasn't going to say anything, you really need to read up on how the system works then you can learn to fix it

One of the links I posted has a tutorial to give you an idea how to bleed it as well as correct way to set it

I would def. choke the bus a couple times to make sure it doesn't roll when you release pressure or add it to bleed park brake

You're just a trouble maker.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil

You're just a trouble maker.