Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Loon Lake, NY
Posts: 43
Year: 2002
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC 300
Rated Cap: 36,500lbs
1999 MD306 Transmission

This is my first post here, so be gentle. I've been researching for several months about the best bus for a skoolie or transit bus conversion. I've found one for sale that checks all the boxes, has an 8.3 Cummins, under storage bays, rear engine, etc. My only concern is that it has a 1999 Allison MD306 transmission. Doing some searching it appears the controllers for these are quite expensive, and for "early 90's" ones Allison doesn't even sell them anymore, you have to have them rebuilt, and some of them can't even be rebuilt. I'm looking for any feedback on this transmission at this point, the only other thing I found about the MD306 was that some did start having leaking seals overtime. Thanks for the help!
EDIT: I'm realizing I probably should have posted this under the Schoolie Tech -> Transmissions -> Cummins thread....sorry
Neorush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,657
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Allison switched to WTEC3 in 1998.

If you are certain that it is a 1999 there are TCM's are all over wrecking yards and on eBay. You may even find one for sale here on Skoolie...... Unless I see it first
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Loon Lake, NY
Posts: 43
Year: 2002
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC 300
Rated Cap: 36,500lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Allison switched to WTEC3 in 1998.

If you are certain that it is a 1999 there are TCM's are all over wrecking yards and on eBay. You may even find one for sale here on Skoolie...... Unless I see it first

Awesome, just what I wanted to know! I am certain it's a '99.
Neorush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,297
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Isn't it an MD3060? If so, it is by far the most desirable tranmission to have.
Why are you concerned about the controller, is the one in the bus damaged?
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,657
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
That is an awesome drive train if I do say so myself
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Loon Lake, NY
Posts: 43
Year: 2002
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC 300
Rated Cap: 36,500lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Isn't it an MD3060? If so, it is by far the most desirable tranmission to have.
Why are you concerned about the controller, is the one in the bus damaged?
It's not damaged as far as I know, I have not inspected it in person or anything at this point. Honestly it's mostly this post that scared me.
Neorush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Loon Lake, NY
Posts: 43
Year: 2002
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC 300
Rated Cap: 36,500lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Isn't it an MD3060? If so, it is by far the most desirable tranmission to have.
Why are you concerned about the controller, is the one in the bus damaged?
Oh, and Yes, I typoed in the original post, it is an MD3060
Neorush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,297
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neorush View Post
It's not damaged as far as I know, I have not inspected it in person or anything at this point. Honestly it's mostly this post that scared me.
I personally would completely ignore that one in a million issue. The MD3060 is the most desired transmission in a bus IMHO. I've not heard the issue you posted as a common one. I have one in my 99 Genesis.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,657
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I personally would completely ignore that one in a million issue. The MD3060 is the most desired transmission in a bus IMHO. I've not heard the issue you posted as a common one. I have one in my 99 Genesis.
I'm with Marc. In our application it is the most desirable automatic you can find in a bus.

Of all of the breakdown stories I have encountered here I can't recall one that involved a 3060 controller.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,144
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the TCMs can gio bad.. the software definitely has different versions in them.. the calibrations from one CIN to another do matter.. you can mix and match to some extent as long as the TCM you are going to use is for a similar vehicle.. same trans, generation, and engine and weight characteristics..



ive only seen one MD3060 destroyed in a bus.. and that was done by its owner trying to get the bus unstuck from mud and was just too rough on the trans and ruined it..



-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,657
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the TCMs can gio bad.. the software definitely has different versions in them.. the calibrations from one CIN to another do matter.. you can mix and match to some extent as long as the TCM you are going to use is for a similar vehicle.. same trans, generation, and engine and weight characteristics..



ive only seen one MD3060 destroyed in a bus.. and that was done by its owner trying to get the bus unstuck from mud and was just too rough on the trans and ruined it..



-Christopher
Christopher,

Can an Allison shop reflash a controller from with a CIN from a similar bus?
If you take one from a truck for example and program it with a CIN from a bus?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,144
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im guessing an allison shop is going to say no unless you find a really nice one.. they seem to be really tight to the chest with this stuff.. just like msanufacturers not wanting to turn on 6th gear..



I am not sure but I **think** every CIN in their mind is unique and no 2 should be alike.. maybe if you told them you were keeping a spare TCM just in case.. they would copy from one to another..



physically its easy to do. and only takes a short amount of time..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cummins, transmission

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×