Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: Ford E450 Super Duty
Engine: V8 6.0
Rated Cap: 30 animals and 1 human
2004 International

Hey guys, I just bought a sweet rust free 2004 international 3200 from a church in South Florida, I still can't believe the deal I got and the low mileage.. Anyway, I'm going to replace the AC condenser and then move on to the trailer hitch. I'm thinking that I should get a weld on so I can increase my towing capacity. Does anyone have any insight? I can't seem to find any information on trailer hitches for these beasts! Thanks

sinapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
congrats!!! be careful running tyour VT-365 hard... it can be a very good engine but if you beat on it hard you can have issues... there are all kiinds of things you can do to bulletproof that engine to ensure ot gives you good longevity..

dont get it hot, keep its oil clean always!!

-Christiopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Chris, I'm not really familiar with the engine so all the tips about it I can get the better. I'll be sure to do what you suggested, along with regular filter changes. Any ideas for a good trailer hitch?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinapu View Post
Thanks Chris, I'm not really familiar with the engine so all the tips about it I can get the better. I'll be sure to do what you suggested, along with regular filter changes. Any ideas for a good trailer hitch?
Those engines have a pretty bad reputation. Truly not trying to scare you or anything, but seriously do look into "bulletproofing" your 365 or you will be very likely to regret not doing so. Get to know the ins and outs of your machine.
Take it easy, man, and enjoy bus ownership!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 36
Hi. Saw your post and that you are from north Conway. I live in new Boston down near manchvegas. If in area let me know. I have 2 skoolies.
freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hey, yes North Conway is home base but I spend most of my time on the road transporting.. What kind of Skoolies do you have?
Old 10-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Update

Well, you guys were right.. Driving it across route 4 it overheated, I pulled over couldnt restart it even though I had compression, so I towed it to an International dealer in Daytona Beach who wants to charge me $25K for a reman engine installed the same vt365.. What a nightmare.. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Old 10-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

wow... first off, how hot did it get? how high up on the gauge?

2nd off if you are in daytona beach right now you got worse things to worry about than a dead bus... (a hurricane)

3rd off International dealers are Notorious for quoting replacement engines even when not needed.. they should tell you exactly why they think the engine needs replaced with a written breakdown of what tests they ran to come to that conclusion..

-Christopher
Old 10-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Those engines have a pretty bad reputation. Truly not trying to scare you or anything, but seriously do look into "bulletproofing" your 365 or you will be very likely to regret not doing so. Get to know the ins and outs of your machine.
Take it easy, man, and enjoy bus ownership!

yo east!.. clean out your mailbox! and stay safe in the hurricane..!!
-Christopher
Old 10-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Hurricane

Not worried about MATTY, I've seen a lot worse.. It got hot all of a sudden and continued to have compression once it cooled down, so I figured I was in the clear. Do you guys know of any reputable mechanics in Daytona? I've learned too many lessons hind sight and have had enough of them. Thanks for getting back to me !
Old 10-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Matty is worse than you think... ive been watching it.. the eyewall may actually make landfall in daytona.. some of the models are bringing it inland farther now... even areas around orlando are expected to get bad now... thats inland quite a ways...

if it got hot suddenly, it makes me wonder if it already had a headgasket problem from the time you started... the head biolts on the VT-365 vs the ford 6.0 were supposedly stronger.. however its still only 4 bolts per cylinder instead of 6

when it got hot did you shut it down or did it shut itself down? the VT-365 should reduce its own power when it gets to about 230 or so and sound lots of warning alarms in the cab...

I dont know any dealers around... if the IH dealer says the engine is bad they have to have given a reason...

if that darn storm wasnt coming.. im in st pete and I have the interface that I believe we could read the computer out of that thing and see why it is going no-start..

if I had to "GUESS" the failure id say coolant was lost into the oil thinning it out to the point that it cant build enough pressure from the HPOP to operate the injectors so the computer wont let it start... but thats totally a GUESS.. without seeing it I cant make any real theories..

of course it wouldnt start when it was Hot because the temperature was so high the computer wouldnt let it..

did it just crank after it cooled down fully?

-Christopher
Old 10-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well, you guys were right.. Driving it across route 4 it overheated, I pulled over couldnt restart it even though I had compression, so I towed it to an International dealer in Daytona Beach who wants to charge me $25K for a reman engine installed the same vt365.. What a nightmare.. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Ditch it and move on, that's exactly what I'd do.
Buses can be costly lessons. My fist one was a major disaster and cost me big $$$ for nothing.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Matty is worse than you think... ive been watching it.. the eyewall may actually make landfall in daytona.. some of the models are bringing it inland farther now... even areas around orlando are expected to get bad now... thats inland quite a ways...

if it got hot suddenly, it makes me wonder if it already had a headgasket problem from the time you started... the head biolts on the VT-365 vs the ford 6.0 were supposedly stronger.. however its still only 4 bolts per cylinder instead of 6

when it got hot did you shut it down or did it shut itself down? the VT-365 should reduce its own power when it gets to about 230 or so and sound lots of warning alarms in the cab...

I dont know any dealers around... if the IH dealer says the engine is bad they have to have given a reason...

if that darn storm wasnt coming.. im in st pete and I have the interface that I believe we could read the computer out of that thing and see why it is going no-start..

if I had to "GUESS" the failure id say coolant was lost into the oil thinning it out to the point that it cant build enough pressure from the HPOP to operate the injectors so the computer wont let it start... but thats totally a GUESS.. without seeing it I cant make any real theories..

of course it wouldnt start when it was Hot because the temperature was so high the computer wouldnt let it..

did it just crank after it cooled down fully?

-Christopher
I finally got word from my boss that we won't be mowing yards tomorrow, lol.
Gonna have to keep a close eye on this storm. Hopefully not another Charlie.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I finally got word from my boss that we won't be mowing yards tomorrow, lol.
Gonna have to keep a close eye on this storm. Hopefully not another Charlie.

ive got my place here in st pete if you guys need to bolt.. sleeping bags and takeout.. since I havent equipped this kitchen.. lol..

we are supposed to get nothing more than a few showers and a stiff sea-breeze here..

I wouldnt be ready to ditch that bus just yet.. its quite possible the dealer is giving hom a crock and its a simple fan clutch or clogged radiator.. IHC are known for over-temp on the highway with that half-a-rad thing..

-Christopher
Old 10-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Christopher, Really nice offer, thank you. After it cooled down it cranked over and almost started with some silicone spray that a mobile truck repair guy used , I guess they use that instead of either these days. I'll try and upload the estimate that IH sent me online..
Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive got my place here in st pete if you guys need to bolt.. sleeping bags and takeout.. since I havent equipped this kitchen.. lol..

we are supposed to get nothing more than a few showers and a stiff sea-breeze here..

I wouldnt be ready to ditch that bus just yet.. its quite possible the dealer is giving hom a crock and its a simple fan clutch or clogged radiator.. IHC are known for over-temp on the highway with that half-a-rad thing..

-Christopher
I'm gonna keep an eye on this, get everything taken care of that I can. I think we may be in an ok place we're really far inland. My roof and windows are my biggest worry.
If the thing shifts any more to the left we may have to take you up on the VERY kind offer!
What a great community!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks Christopher, Really nice offer, thank you. After it cooled down it cranked over and almost started with some silicone spray that a mobile truck repair guy used , I guess they use that instead of either these days. I'll try and upload the estimate that IH sent me online..

ether in a diesel V-8 is a no-no ..using PB-blaster is less flammable than ether but will still fire an engine..

still almpst sounds like the computer was not letting it run.. if you have compression and fuel at the right time it will run..

when you crank do you get any white smoke out the exhaust?

im not ready to shot that engine dead till the computer is ruled out as a cause for the no-start.

what dealer did it go to, Rush? they are Notorious for being royal PITA...
-Christopher