Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 01:33 AM   #1

Smile 2008 Ford E450 w/ 6.0L V8 Diesel - Worried about the engine

Hi everyone,

First of all, I'm excited to join this community and do my first bus conversion!

I have been looking at a 2008 Ford E450 w/ 6.0L V8 diesel engine over the last couple days... about 152k miles and used for senior transport.

Now I know absolutely nothing about converting a bus or buses in general, so I'm very excited about this forum!

I have read numerous horror stories about the 6.0L V8 diesel engine.. but many of them mention 2003-2007 being the bad years.. although many also claim the last two years they were produced after 2007 they also had many problems.

The seller of the bus has been claiming no engine problems in the past, but I'm skeptical.

Even if there haven't been any engine problems up to this point, should I count on there being problems with this engine?

Should I avoid this engine altogether?

Thanks for the suggestions!

shuttlebusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:46 AM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Please don't post the same thing more than once. New members posting with attachments must have their posts approved.

As far as your question about the 6.0, if you won't be working on it yourself don't buy it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
About the 6.0, I believe there is still a class action lawsuit going on with the 6.0 with a whole list of problems with that motor, A buddy of mine has 6 or 7 company trucks with that motor & every one of his trucks has the problems listed in the lawsuit. At least that's what he tells me.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote