Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
2in ID. diesel hose question

So I added a secondary diesel tank to my bus over the last few months, the plate on the tank says 70 gallons and the tank is mounted flat under the bus but since the fuel neck is mounted on the side of the tank I cant get more than 55 gallons in the tank, when I measure the tank from the outside it should take 70 gallons, the tank is not hooked up to the main tank or the bus fuel system,

So I want to get some flexible fuel hose to put over the fill neck and run it 10 inches to the outer wall of the bus which will allow me to mount the new opening about 2 inches above the top of the tank,
The inner diameter of the current tank opening is 1 7/8in, the outer diameter of the threads is 2 1/4 in.

I have found some flex hose at marine sites that has an inner diameter of 2 1/4, the hose is listed as diesel and coolant hose,

I assume the hose will be a tight fit on the threads, I will put a screw on metal band to prevent it from slipping.

Questions,
Will the threads degrade the inner part of the hose?
Will their be a degradation issue with the hose always being full/wet with diesel?

Old 07-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Those sound like good questions for a hose supply place. Locally I use Evco House of Hose ("Everything in hose, except panty hose." Seriously. That's their tag line!). They're part of Lewis-Goetz, which does have operations in Texas and might be near you or reasonable about shipping to you. They'll also be knowledgeable about their product.

It sounds like you intend to have the liquid level higher than the joint between hose and filler neck. I think it's sketchy to clamp a hose on the threads because the quality of that seal may be questionable. If the hose can slide past the threads and shrink onto a clean smooth part of the filler neck, that might work better.

Keep in mind the tank won't fill higher than its air vent. Probably the filler neck is also the vent, so you won't be able to fill above the top of the neck-to-wall opening. Practically speaking, the max fill may be a bit lower than that.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote