Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 77
40' with 8.3 Cummins Auction Right Now!

Past my price range but figured I'd let some of you know in case you had it in the budget. I called a few times, they said tires are OK.

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...4ab0f9df9282c2

Old 11-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tororider View Post
Past my price range but figured I'd let some of you know in case you had it in the budget. I called a few times, they said tires are OK.

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...4ab0f9df9282c2
Another PNW bargain!
Mechanical 8.3 is pretty hard to beat. Hope it goes to a good home.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Another PNW bargain!
Mechanical 8.3 is pretty hard to beat. Hope it goes to a good home.
How difficult would it be to have an A3060 put into that bus? Given the age, it probably only has a 4 speed auto, and given the age, it is probably time for a major amount of work.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:42 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
How difficult would it be to have an A3060 put into that bus? Given the age, it probably only has a 4 speed auto, and given the age, it is probably time for a major amount of work.
It could be done.
I'm not one of the folks who HAS to have OD, though. I'm happy enough with the right gears in the rear end.
I've had buses older than that which didn't need any major work.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:59 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you are climbing mountains Overdrive is a huge advantage.. or well I shiould say more gears is an advantage..

a 5 speed stick and a tall rear gives you the sane effect as a 5 speed auto with OD an d a shorter rear..

4 gears is not a lot for climbing and descending mountains in a full size bus.. lockup or not..

can it be dione? of course it can.. but often you figure that your last gear in whatever trans you have is your main highway gear... the only time you really use it is at speeds 50 and higher.. (at least for as bus you want to travel comfortably 65)..

get in the hills and that gear is useless.. so now you just have a 3 speed.. on the steep hills you may find yourself dropping to 2nd or wishing you had a gear between..

so enter in an OD transmission.. a 6 speed.. (MD3060?) so you have your 6th for the main highway gear.. 5th is for small inclines on highway, and 4,3,2 can give you a nice selection as you ascend and descend... theres your "in between" gears you wish you had..

more unusual solutions are 2 speed rear ends or divorced aux transmissions. that give you multiple ranges to travel at.

obviously gears are also a stop-gao often used when running less-than-adequete engines in situations where you should have more power..

the ultimate engine would probably be one that had enough HP to just run up the side of a mountain in any gear you want... but those get pricey...

when I drove that $750k coach back N forth from florida to ohio for those friends of mine each year.. its 450HP motor rarely dropped out of top gear on the big hills...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Thanks! I have been playing with this idea for about 10 years, actually thinking about it since the 1980's (school bus conversion). I have spent literally hundreds of hours researching, asking questions, measuring, etc...and finally think I found a solution that will work for me. The auto tran is pretty necessary because some of my (hope to be) travel companions can't handle a stick. The OD options reduces wear on the engine, makes driving a vehicle less stressful, aids in holding the bus at certain speeds without using brakes and increases mpg a little. Also, from what I understand, the 8.3 and 3060 combo provide more than adequate power for a bus at any cruising speed on any interstate in the US or Canada and have power to manage the hills as well. The cost of a new transmission (I am guessing $5K or more)maybe will never be recovered by savings in mpg but the other benefits make it worth it, in my opinion. I was really hoping to use a 6bt because of the lower price of hardware, but when I started mentioning 65, 70 and 80 mph, most people on forums suggested that I look to something with more umph. Based on what I have read/heard, a good 8.3 and 3060 should easily last 300,000 miles without problems if well maintained, cruising at interstate speeds. Most mechanics I talked to thought that a 6bt might start to show its age at around 150,000 miles. I would still love to find someone who would be willing to put a 6bt into a Chevy suburban for me...that would be a really sweet, durable deal also.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Mine is not an 8.3, but a dt466e in a 14 window flat front front engine, with a 3060 with 6th locked. I have cruise control and was running a full tank of gas out at between 80 and 85 (2400rpm) miles an hour from Seattle to Atlanta. While the bus will go that fast I refrain from doing it anymore because mileage dropped to 7 miles per gallon drop it to 70-75 and it would bump to 8.7. I've got 252k (99model) miles on mine, and in extremely clean and good condition and runs like a champ.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
marc: plus the tires.. all tires have a speed rating.. the ,manufacturer publishes the maximum safe speed for tires.. most 11R22.5 12 or 16 ply seem to be rated at 70-75 MPH...

im sure people drive 80 on them.. but tires heat up VERY quickly with speed.. keep that in mind for anyone buil;dimg an 80 MPH bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote