Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #1

Year: 1987
Chassis: gmc
Engine: 8.2 detroit
8.2 detroit governor

Does anyone know how to adjust the governor on a 8.2 Detroit.This thing will only go 55mph and wont climb hills for anything

levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: 8.2 detroit governor

like my bus there mgiht be another problem, if its only geared for 55 it should be good on hills?
adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

David "messed" with the governor(?). And then he put it back the way it was once we got to Roswell. We got fantastic mpgs on the way out here but a bit slow on the hills. We were running the interstates out to here. Something we don't normally try to do. David was keeping up with the semi's so our slow uphill speeds were not a concern. Our last move was 150 miles on 2-1/2 year old diesel. Bus did 65-70 on the short stretch of I25 and tugged up the hills crossing over on US380 at a fairly high speed. But the cost was too high as the bus sucked the fuel big time. It smoked a bit too which it didn't do before the "adjustment". We really don't know if it was the old diesel or because David messed with it. It did idle a lot higher. We prefer the lower speeds, primary/secondary highways and higher mpgs. At any rate, the thingy got replaced to the "old & slow" position. With the cost of diesel, we can take a few extra hours to get to where we are going. We normally try to hit the road around 9AM - 10AM and get off the road around early dusk. We both are having problems with driving at night so we no longer feel the need to do that. Next trip (245.5 miles @ 4 hours, 53 minutes according to MS Streets & Trips) is planned for after Labour Day. I get a week off and would like to park the bus in Rock Hound State Park and daytrip in the Jeep up to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. I read a book that was set in the area when I was a kid and always wanted to see the area and the dwellings (we've already been up to the dwellings at Bandolier on a daytrip from Socorro). So that trip should tell us what kind of mileage we will be getting with a fully converted bus and carrying 30 gallons fresh water plus several full LP 20# BBQ tanks and towing the Jeep. This will help us work out trip budgets for the next trip.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

I'd want to try the governor adjustment with some fresh fuel just to confirm whether it works or not. According to what I've read, diesel can absorb a good bit of moisture if it sits for a long time and that moisture can turn to steam in the injectors making them work not so well.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Diesel fuel doesn't age like gasoline. The water separates in the tank, and you could always drain some fuel from the bottom of the tank and see if there's water. My tank has a plug in it for that (though, if you un screw the plug too far you could have a disaster). What does happen is that gunk can grow at the water/fuel interface. That sure gunks up the fuel filter. Best to add a biocide if you plan to store the fuel. I've read that biodiesel does degrade over time.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I think the diesel absorbed some water (what I call "going bad"). Like I said, it smoked quite a bit and I think it was idling a bit high and rough. Normally by the time the bus "idles down" the exhaust smoke clears completely. That time (and the next day too) the exhaust was a little white. And it was hours later. The tank is pretty empty now. I want to put some diesel treatment in it before we start adding fuel to the tank. Should help clean out the engine too. We won't be moving the bus again for quite some time once we get back from the trip.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote