Old 04-08-2015, 03:06 AM   #11
Year: 81
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: 885 Cummins Turbo (A-855t-11)

Thank you guys all so much for your support. Turns out it was this lil guy here. 1300-2 Nartron RELAY I am fortunate enough to be in contact with the mechanic who used to work on this exact bus from the school district. He has been working on crowns for years and said pretty much the same thing some of you did.

He said most of the time it is the neutral safety switch, and to check the one under the hatch above the engine. Though then he told me to try using the neutral by pass button to override it which did not work. I then sent him the picture above as he could not remember what the starting array looked like. He then told me to take that green wire on the solenoid that goes up to the relay and just ground that out.

This worked like a charm it started right up, though now I have no neutral safety and that switch is $180. Good news is he told me that if I just take that green wire and bond it to the next wire to the right of on that relay (that wire goes to the alternator), that I could achieve neutral safety that way. Apparently that was how they used to do it before they incorporated that relay.

I will test this out tomorrow or the next day and get back to you.

Thanks again Nat roadrunner and cowlitz for your lengthy responses, cowlitz you were pretty on point with that, did you used to work on crowns?
HunteR0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #12
Bus Nut
I owned two different Crowns over the years when I operated a charter bus company. And our church still owns a Crown

One that I owned was a Detroit with a stick and the other was a Cummins with an automatic. The church's Crown is a DD with an automatic.

Both at one time or another gave me some problems with relays. The Cummins with a neutral safety switch and the DD with a run relay.

The DD was more disconcerting--started and ran fine but would occasionally just quit for no apparent reason. That was how I learned about the relays in the front electrical panel.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote