Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posts: 713
Question 94 or newer with DT466?

After quite a bit of reading i am settled on a 94 or newer bus with the aDT466 and with luck a Allison 545 tranny. I was thinking 94 or newer so the rear brakes will be auto adjusters. I am wondering what i should be for year wise.
Weren't there DT466'S in buses until 97 and then totally DT466E. No E for me!
What rear gears did they come with? I want to be able to do Yellowstone coming from the midwest. I don't need major speed on hwys or Mts.
I have read a bit about the rear ratios in some threads

Thanks for looking
__________________
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Love the 466...hate the 545.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,876
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
After quite a bit of reading i am settled on a 94 or newer bus with the aDT466 and with luck a Allison 545 tranny. I was thinking 94 or newer so the rear brakes will be auto adjusters. I am wondering what i should be for year wise.
Weren't there DT466'S in buses until 97 and then totally DT466E. No E for me!
What rear gears did they come with? I want to be able to do Yellowstone coming from the midwest. I don't need major speed on hwys or Mts.
I have read a bit about the rear ratios in some threads

Thanks for looking
My 92 has auto slack adjusters.
The 545 would be my last choice. Especially for mountainous regions.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Dapplecreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: near Christiansburg VA
Posts: 692
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
As I understand it the 545 won't provide much in the way of deceleration going down a hill, so it's all brakes. I would prefer a different transmission...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 1,361
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'd be surprised if you found a 545 behind a dt466. Even in there lowest torque rating they're still too powerful for the 545. I'd Shoot for a 4.80 or there abouts for a rear gear. That will give you decent highway speed and quick enough acceleration too.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,876
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I'd be surprised if you found a 545 behind a dt466. Even in there torque rating they're still too powerful for the 545. I'd Shoot for a 4.80 or there abouts for a rear gear. That will give you decent highway speed and quick enough acceleration too.
I've seen plenty of 466's with the 545's. Especially FL buses.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 1,361
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've seen plenty of 466's with the 545's. Especially FL buses.
Really? Huh, how 'bout that. Next time you see one let me know what torque rating it has.

The lowest I've seen was like 550 ftlbs which is a bit over the 545's capacity. I wouldn't think they would do something like that.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,876
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Really? Huh, how 'bout that. Next time you see one let me know what torque rating it has.

The lowest I've seen was like 550 ftlbs which is a bit over the 545's capacity. I wouldn't think they would do something like that.
I know I've seen em. My 195hp DT is rated at 520 ft-lbs but I think they made DT with even lower #'s.
I've been wrong before, though. Happens all the time.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posts: 713
Excellent. I am learning. So which tranny do i want?
__________________
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,876
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Well lots of em came with 643's like mine. They're stout and function great. They don't have overdrive, though. Fourth gear is 1:1
They're great, though.

The newer OD units are awesome, like the 3060.

When I was bus shopping I was looking for any big, reliable engine with any transmission except a 545.
I mostly looked at 466's and 8.3's. The 466's are more common and I ended up with a 466 and 643. Great combo and simple.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
Going back to something the OP said, don't let yourself get hung up on slack adjusters as a fundamental buying criteria. This could be (relatively) easily upgraded so if you find the right bus otherwise don't let that sole point cause you to pass it up.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #12
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Well lots of em came with 643's like mine. They're stout and function great. They don't have overdrive, though. Fourth gear is 1:1
They're great, though.

The newer OD units are awesome, like the 3060.

When I was bus shopping I was looking for any big, reliable engine with any transmission except a 545.
I mostly looked at 466's and 8.3's. The 466's are more common and I ended up with a 466 and 643. Great combo and simple.
What years are we looking at for the 3060?

The newer OD units are awesome, like the 3060.
__________________
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
Going back to something the OP said, don't let yourself get hung up on slack adjusters as a fundamental buying criteria. This could be (relatively) easily upgraded so if you find the right bus otherwise don't let that sole point cause you to pass it up.
Thanks JB. I sure didn't know that.
__________________
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #14
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NUNYA
Posts: 4,234
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I'd be surprised if you found a 545 behind a dt466. Even in there lowest torque rating they're still too powerful for the 545. I'd Shoot for a 4.80 or there abouts for a rear gear. That will give you decent highway speed and quick enough acceleration too.

Like EC said, there are plenty of 545 behind DT466 engines. I own one and see them on the auctions all the time. Mine is a 1997 Genesis with a mechanical P-pump motor rated at 190hp. I also have a 1995 DT408 with a 545 behind it. I don't know the torque specs. I think at 210hp, you will see the 643.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,542
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for flat travelling I find the 545 works great... I likely wouldnt want it if I were planning to run my bus over the rockies...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×