Old 08-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Holy cow, look who rolled in. Glad you're still around.

I don't think you will get 13.5 from batteries at rest. Maybe while on a charger or with the engine running.
Just passing on what my mechanic said...... It worked for my motorhome...
Cummins 350 diesel, Alison 3060 trans.!!!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #32

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT3116TA
Rated Cap: 84
Finally, an update.

Thanks again for the help folks... and apologies for my lack of communication and understanding what I was asking help for. I ended up finding the problem recently. Here’s a long story as short as possible:

So... over the course of my inherent ignorance with my problem, I managed to figure things out. Life got busy, as it does, and I had a total of 4 mechanics look at my bus over the course of trying to find (and thus fix) my problem. After a lot of conflicting information and mechanics giving up on finding the problem and getting confused about what to do (ASE certified master techs… BTW), I decided to learn what the hell to do. I basically learned what I needed to know myself from the very beginning, and that was to understand a starter circuit. In the end, it was very simple. And, I found my problem easily enough.

The thing is, I went through many mechanics. It turns out that my original mechanic switched the power wires that feed the ECU/VIM. This is what created the blank shifter display. I also found a lot of cut wires after that first mechanic (which the second mechanic found and fixed).

I was able to determine myself through checking the wiring harness that the power going directly to the VIM was coming in from the battery negative wire, and nothing from the positive side. My mechanics thought they found proper ground and power to the VIM, but failed to realize they were coming in INCORRECTLY through the harness. They thought the ECU was bad, or the circuit board in the VIM was bad... they blamed bad relays, etc.

So. I switched the wires to properly send power to the VIM... and VOILA.. I got my shifter to respond and my transmission is now working. However, I still had the original no start, no crank problem that started all of this.

A few minutes of checking the circuit in the back PDU box determined that I had a loose connection on the starter relay. Less than 15 minutes of work… and my bus is working perfectly now.

So, in the end, I learned like many do... through trial and error. I'm still stumped on how 4 mechanics could overlook the obvious. However, 2 of them were giving me estimates of $4000 or more to repair the bus... so perhaps they had a motive to NOT find the problem?

Who knows, but we are rolling again.
Beau Medlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
There's a big difference between a mechanic and a parts changer.

You weren't dealing with mechanics.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote