Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

A question for the ladies...

So I've been trying to convince my wonderful fiancee to let me convert an old school bus, and thanks to the beautiful work the people on this forum have done, I have finally convinced her to let me do it.

She was afraid that it would look like something out of the Beverly Hillbillies but you guys have allowed me to prove her wrong.

When I discussed the shower with her, I mentioned a 30x30 square. She doesn't feel like she can shave in a 30x30 square shower.

I'm not asking for anything too detailed, just trying to figure out if it's a possibility, I don't shave my legs (or my face) so I don't know the dilemma.

And if a 30x30 shower is too much a hassle, what are other options I can present her with?

This is all new to us and I have not gotten the bus yet. I want to figure out every detail and make sure it gets the misses approval before I get too involved.

Ironwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #2

Prior female army vet here. I've done much more in much tighter spaces. Try undressing, doing a head to toe wash down, with a washcloth, bar of soap, metal canteen cup of water, inside a sleeping bag, getting redressed in a pup tent at 4am at 20 degrees.

The best way to see if she will be able to do it is to try to maneuver in such a small place. They have a few such enclosure displayed at some of the big box hardware and specialty bathroom fixture stores. The best I can suggest is to get sugared (not waxed) before the trips.
ClassyGlobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Trust me, I know the pain. I'm an old jarhead. I can live in anything, a converted bus is a 5 star hotel as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't think about going somewhere that has displays and having her go through the motions. That's a good idea!
Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E International
Rated Cap: 72
You can also build a mock shower out of cardboard and have her go through the motions there. We're about at the cardboard mockup phase ourselves, but have allocated a 36" by 36" space for the shower, inclusive of the walls between the shower and the rest of the bus... (Ben, not a lady)

I have found that I don't need my entire body to be in the shower enclosure to be able to shave my legs--if the curtain can be drawn back and I can place one leg at a time in the actual shower I'm good to go. Additionally, if you make it so you don't have a hard surround for your shower (curtain v. wall) you can pull it back for a variety of reasons, including just having more space to swing your arms which in a bus is pretty rad. You'd also be surprised at what you can do in a small space, it's like unintentional yoga. (Jess, a lady)
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yet another good idea...
I don't get paid to think I'll let you guys do it for me.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
I have the same problem. I have managed to convince my wife to let me get an even bigger bus! She doesn't just want a shower though. She wants a full size bath tub with a shower! That is going to take up some room. Another problem, is that we are both about 6'1" tall and I don't want to do a roof raise! So, my solution will be a hallway on the side of the bus with the bath tub and shower where the center aisle was when it was a regular school bus. That's my plan as of right now anyways.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #7

Thats A WHOLE LOT of water to haul and heat. But the Bath Board looks pretty cool at YakoDesign I am contemplating it if I ever want to conceive the idea of bathing inside any type of mobile or compact situation
ClassyGlobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I've considered doing a full size tub with a shower. My intentions are just to have an RV and not a full time residence, so most of the time I would be hooked into a city connection and it wouldn't be too out there for me to do it.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
Bus Geek

a simple folding stool in the hall way and a long hose on shower head should be
perfect

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
portable tent solar shower setup....
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Considering that a "standard sized tub" holds about 60 gallons of water (about 40 with a person in it), unless you pull a tanker behind you, I would think about the only time you could use one would be when hooked up to city water at a campground.

Just a thought.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Considering that a "standard sized tub" holds about 60 gallons of water (about 40 with a person in it), unless you pull a tanker behind you, I would think about the only time you could use one would be when hooked up to city water at a campground.

Just a thought.

About 10 baths worth...

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I say go for it!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Just a thought.
I'm pretty much trying to build a rolling hotel room.

My fiancee and I have totally different ideas of camping. I'm happy with a tent, cot, and sleeping bag. She wants to rent an air conditioned cabin that has a stove and what not in it.

I can take a bath out of a pot of water, or use my handy dandy foldable bag camp shower. She wants hot water and "comfort".

I'm cheap and enjoy the simpler things in life, she's fancy and likes to "be comfortable".

This is my idea of a compromise. I'm tired of paying $100+ a night anytime we go somewhere because "I'm not sleeping in a tent!". And since I've always wanted to do a skoolie conversion, this gives me a good reason to do it.

So ultimately, while I will have the ability to do minor off grid living, the majority of the time I will be connected to shore power and water.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Yes, you and your partner need to be on the same page. There have been several good options presented in this thread and hopefully there will be more ideas submitted. At the end of the day you have to find a solution that works for both of you or the bus conversion will not work.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:15 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post

About 10 baths worth...
Scooter,

I had one of those about 6 years ago.......
Old 02-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post

About 10 baths worth...
Water buffalo! Oh how I miss that thing. Wonder where I could get one? I would tow it everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Scooter,

I had one of those about 6 years ago.......
I'll take a 1031 also. Can't kill them. Best thing chevy ever built. That and the Jimmy version of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
Yes, you and your partner need to be on the same page. There have been several good options presented in this thread and hopefully there will be more ideas submitted. At the end of the day you have to find a solution that works for both of you or the bus conversion will not work.
Yes sir, you are right. I learned along time ago, the key to a successful relationship is making sure mamma agrees with what you're doing.