Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I looked and don't have any central roof support. I think I am going to go to a metal shop and get some 2x2 angle iron welded into a square with the inside dimensions 14x14. At the peak of the bus there is still a slight curve. If I bolt the steel square at the peak and then tighten it down at the corners it will tend to buckle or distort the roof. Should I put spacers at the corners for the bolts so that this doesn't happen?

shaggy
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
curved bus roof

For the curved aspect of mounting your ac unit, there are a number of companies that make ac shrouds and foam gaskets. With those kits you get additional shims that run down both sides. I just looked up the part and a company called ventmate makes them. I happen to be at work and was able to look into it .

-Richard

Edit - I talked with a couple of journeyman rv mechanics and they will try to use the foam gaskets, they are good for up to an inch gap. Most said they have never seen a unit in which that was nessisary. If the gap is larger they would build a custom box made of 2 by 4 that could be shaped. Then seal it up well with paint and such. Another material they use is the cutting board material. It works well for shims on the exterior like awnings and such. Cuts well witha table saw and is sandable.
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjespers
I dont have the headroom to use a roof mounted AC unit. Does anyone out there have any tips or advice for using a window AC unit? Perhaps one mounted in place of one of the rear windows?
check out how I did mine, it works quite well.
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/Big-Blue/100_6132
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/Big-Blue/100_5906[/url]
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:48 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Hey Brad,

I knew there was someone else with a regular window A/C but, I couldn't remember who it was. Sorry
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #15
Bus Nut

What the heck kind of roof air do you have that weighs 275 pounds?

Every unit I've looked at for possible installation has been right around 100 pounds (give or take 20 depending on the unit). They've been making them the same way for so many years (my classic 1977 Class C Beaver has one) it doesn't seem the older models would be that much different in weight.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Lampman
What the heck kind of roof air do you have that weighs 275 pounds?

Every unit I've looked at for possible installation has been right around 100 pounds (give or take 20 depending on the unit). They've making them the same way for so many years (my classic 1977 Class C Beaver has one) it doesn't seem the older models would be that much different in weight.
I'd have to agree with that. My coleman 13500 can't weigh in much more than 100 pounds. I don't think it weighs anymore than a window unit for a house.
And now that I think of it the stick and staple rvs only use wood for spacing with no ill effects. And how many rvs use wood on the inside for building with no worry about how well it holds up in the long run? I really don't think metal supports are needed for a roof ac install.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote