Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: GMC
Engine: Detroit 8.2L Diesel
Rated Cap: 53
Accessing hidden bolts on underside of bus (Seat Removal)

Luckily the bolts on our seats come off pretty easily. However, we have not been able to locate some of them and some are hidden behind other parts of the underside of the bus. I have seen many posts of people who removed the seats in hours with no issues. Any input from someone knowledgeable would be helpful. If you were able to remove your bolts without grinding, How did you access them all?

Zombiepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
there are likely to be a few where you will just need to grind the heads off inside the bus.
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Grind the heads off and knock them through. A large portion of the bolts are inaccessable in our bus, because the luggage bay was added after the seats were installed. The other end down below eventually shake out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiepatrol View Post
Luckily the bolts on our seats come off pretty easily. However, we have not been able to locate some of them and some are hidden behind other parts of the underside of the bus. I have seen many posts of people who removed the seats in hours with no issues. Any input from someone knowledgeable would be helpful. If you were able to remove your bolts without grinding, How did you access them all?
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
I ground the heads off, simply because I was the only one pulling out my seats

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
You may find success with an impact wrench and pry bar: use the pry bar to maintain tension on the bolt while spinning the bolt with the impact wrench. There's a pretty good chance the tension will create just enough friction between the hidden nut and the underside of the floor so that the impact wrench can spin the bolt out. When it works it's much faster than cutting the heads off. But if the nut is seized to the bolt, or if the friction isn't enough to hold the nut from spinning slower than the bolt, it'll quickly become obvious that cutting is necessary.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: GMC
Engine: Detroit 8.2L Diesel
Rated Cap: 53
The reason I posed the question is that I saw many people having no issues finding their bolts and taking them right off.

I don't have an impact wrench, and don't want to dip into the budget on something that may not work..especially since many of our nuts have been fused, which is why we have used channel locks on the underside. Works like a charm. I do have an angle grinder though, so it looks like after we locate every bolt possible we will be grinding some. It's disappointing how much time it takes. Had to take a week break to visit my mom and we will be back to work Tuesday. Can't wait

Thanks for all the input!
Zombiepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
If you are motivated with a 5HP 9" angle grinder, you can take them out in one day/evening.

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiepatrol View Post
The reason I posed the question is that I saw many people having no issues finding their bolts and taking them right off.

I don't have an impact wrench, and don't want to dip into the budget on something that may not work..especially since many of our nuts have been fused, which is why we have used channel locks on the underside. Works like a charm. I do have an angle grinder though, so it looks like after we locate every bolt possible we will be grinding some. It's disappointing how much time it takes. Had to take a week break to visit my mom and we will be back to work Tuesday. Can't wait

Thanks for all the input!
You will not regret purchasing an impact drill. It's my favorite tool on the bus -- I used it to remove a lot of stuck screws I wouldn't have been able to remove with a regular driver. I don't know what you do for work but it will probably pay for itself in the time it saves.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
I had a handful of seat bolts that I couldn't get out. When welding up the seat holes and nail holes through the floor I just welded those bolts in their respective hole They're still there and they ain't going anywhere. Now they're covered in POR15.