Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Adding a handicap lift

Is it too difficult/expensive to add a lift to a bus this size?
http://photos.ebizautos.com/6149/2389003_2.jpg
I would think adding the lift just behind the door would be better than at the very end of the bus.

U-Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Adding a handicap lift

It depends, but if you can do it, go for it and let me know how it goes.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus
Most of the buses I've seen, at least around here, all have the handicap lifts right behind the swinging front door. I have seen handicap lifts towards the back of the bus, but not very often. I've noticed that Internationals equipped with handicap lifts often have them towards the back more than any other brand, at least that I've observed. I think the lifts themselves commonly go for $300-500 used, as for the installation process, I have no idea.

I think you could save yourself a lot of time and money by getting a bus that already has a lift in it.
I agree with ShortBus, it would probably be cheaper to buy a bus with a lift already installed. You'd also get a later model bus in the process.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Just remember if you do put in a door that there are more then one width for thee lifts. Most school buses have smaller doors so they can't have a lift that is too wide. I have seen one bus that someone wanted a lift in the back for personal use and used the back door.

I'd say the same as above get a bus with it already in it. If you ask me the ideal spot on a rv conversion for the lift would be at least on window back from thee front door. Not that I hate what I have it works but I would rather have it 2 feet further back. I do see more company's buy rear lift buses now myself but they are still some that get front lifts. As a driver who uses lift buses I like they at the back but for rv use front is better and I believe it has been said by dealer that the front lift buses sell better than rear.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote